Thread: Taye MetalWorks 14" x 5" Black Nickel Brass Snare

User Info Menu

Default Taye MetalWorks 14" x 5" Black Nickel Brass Snare

Hello once again! Tonight I got the opportunity to try my newest snare, a Taye Metalworks 14"x5" Brushed Black Nickel Brass, with my guitar player for about an hour an a half. As someone expressed curiosity about this particular snare, here are some quick impressions. Let's start with some photos, shall we?

Street Price (new): Varies. This particular drum is one that it pays to shop around on. I've seen it new in box as low as $190. The more common price is right around $300. In this instance, I traded a ride cymbal I no longer used and a clamp for this snare straight up.

Country of Origin: Taiwan

Lugs: 10

Shell: Brass (thickness not determined)

Hoops: 2.3 mm triple-flanged steel

Throwoff: Taye Sidelatch

Ventilation: single hole, Taye Specialty logo grommet

Backstory

As with any purchase, it's best to consider what your needs are and what's right for you, then to find the product that is the best fit.

I've had some prior experience with brass snares. In high school I used to own a 14" x 6.5" Pearl Free Floater. That drum was a monster. The school set had the 3.5" version... I found that drum more satisfying for funk, rock, etc.

Amongst the snares I already had, the Acrolite offers great warmth and balance. The aluminum shell just did not have enough oomph to cut through a wall of guitar sound, though.

To counteract this, my recent Taye Stainless pickup is fantastic. It cuts, rings, and tuned very easily. I'd use that and the Acrolite all day long if it came down to it.

After reading so much positive press about the Black Beauty and Noble Cooley Alloy, I looked into either as a possible reward for a long summer of work. The BB would fit right in with the Ludwig Classic Maple Kit, and the N & C would do my native Massachusetts proud. Both I deemed to be a luxury- they would essentially be a single snare that had the advantages of two different ones I already owned- but combining those traits was appealing.

Now make no mistake, the Taye isn't a Black Beauty. This shell isn't seamless, it does not have the center bead, nor does it have the options or resale value. That last part is an assumption, as a cursory search did not turn up any used offerings. Black Beauties do not seems to depreciate, which is great for the seller. It isn't so great for the buyer, who is looking at spending over $500 for a used snare.

What this drum is for me is an attempt to marry the tonal qualitiies and versatility of the Acrolite with something as cutting as the steel, but with slightly more warmth. I had spare parts lying around, so turning them into a snare drum at no cost was something I approached a little more quickly than I normally would have.

What I Liked

-Like my other Taye and the Acrolite, this drum tuned up to a setting I liked without as much fuss as my wood snares. This drum wasn't brand new out of the box, as it was a display, but tinkering was minimal.

-In my other review I noted that I liked the simple, effective, ergonomic design of the throwoff and fluid action. This throw is identical and just as pleasant to deal with.

-It reminded me of my Acrolite, although it did feel more powerful. It is heavier, but still dynamic. Although I do not have extensive experience with the Black Beauty, I do prefer Taye's lugs to Ludwig's Imperial, although that's merely cosmetic. I do certainly like the throwoff compared to any of Ludwig's offerings.

-The price on these ranges more than what I'm used to seeing. Normally I'll see a variation across online retailers within $20-$30, some luring you in with a lower base price only to hit you with shipping, the others offering free shipping but lumping all the costs into the advertised price. The range on these, new, was over $100.

What Wasn't So Great

-Although not as prominent as on the Stainless Steel drum from the same maker, it does fingerprint easily.

-Like the Stainless Steel, the throwoff does seem to mess with the snare tension somewhat.

In Closing

When it comes to my three metal snares, each has things that they do well and little things to live with. After messing around with Black Beauties, the Noble & Cooley Alloy, and an SJC Aluminum snare in a store for about ten minutes each, I went with the less expensive used Acrolite from the want ads and Taye offerings. I simply could not justify spending near triple in certain cases for a fundamentally similar product.

The reputation of the Black Beauty is that it is the industry standard of snares... given the amount of drums that seem to copy its basic structure, I find that hard to argue. However, if you are only able to locate this Taye snare for $300, I cannot in good conscience recommend it over an Acrolite or the Taye Stainless, the latter I find new for about $170, the former I've heard stories of purchasing for $30 and then the cost of replacement parts.

What is right for you depends on what your playing needs and what you already have on hand. If you are looking for warmth, body, and projection, this is a good all-around drum. It's heavier than the Acrolite, but lighter than the Stainless Steel. If you can find it for under $200, I highly recommend it, especially if you have neither a Stainless Steel snare nor an Acrolite. If you can only find it at the higher end of the spectrum (~$300), I'd say you would be well advised to be a patient shopper. While I like the snare and have no questions as to its quality, it is not unique enough to pronounce it "must have"- it is certainly "nice to have", though.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

Default Re: Taye MetalWorks 14" x 5" Black Nickel Brass Snare

Looks great. Nice review.

User Info Menu

Thank you for reading, sir!

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

Fantastic review! Great job.

User Info Menu

Thank you, Rich! It's great to have you around more often once again.

User Info Menu

Thank you for the review. And most importantly, the pictures :D
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Beautiful snare and nice review. I always love the black nickel finish on metal snares.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    Thank you for the review. And most importantly, the pictures :D
    My pleasure, sir! Thank you for reading!

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    Beautiful snare and nice review. I always love the black nickel finish on metal snares.

Thank you as well, sir! I haven't been on much in the past few days, but I also wish you well on a speedy recovery.

User Info Menu

I have 2 Black Beauty Super Sensitives.

I've played on almost every snare worth playing at 1 time or the other.
    I haven't found 1 that compares to a BB SS.