Thread: Hi-Hat Playing Problem

User Info Menu

Default Hi-Hat Playing Problem

When you are playing songs, do you always kept a steady beat on the hi-hat? I have a hesitation sometimes instead of the steady beat and the guitar player was trying to show me how to do it before a show and I couldn't pick it up that fast. How do you all do it?
    ASAP please.

User Info Menu

What? I don't get what your asking but no I don't always play strait 8th notes or w/e on the high hat.

User Info Menu

You dont ALWAYS keep a steady beat on the Hi-Hat. But the main point of the Hi-Hat is to keep time so usually you just keep steady 4ths 8ths or 16ths.

Im not sure what you mean so i hope that helps.

User Info Menu

you gotta keep a steady time on the hi-hat thats very important for the song but you can vary the hi-hat groove if you like as long as it is in time and suits the song.

Shazane Guest

overall its main purpose is usually a steady beat, but sometimes its better to break that, whatever feels right usually sounds better anyway.

User Info Menu

Not necessarily the hi hat on it's own. Most use it for time only because it has the shortest and quietest sound of the cymbals and can modify the sound by using the pedal. You can also use the ride or even your toms to keep rhythm.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Pearl1999, I am not exactly sure to what you are referring, but I was told by my drum teacher that Charlie Watts of the Rolling Stones had a bad habit of missing that beat on his hi-hat whenever he hit the snare, in his basic rhythm. Most people would not catch it, but my teacher assurred me that it could be heard if you listen closely.

If this is what you do, it is not technically correct, but then it worked for Charlie!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

listen to around the world by red hot chili peppers and tell me if thats what your talking about- in the chorus he is sticking 16ths and then changes to 8ths all really fast in the same measure