Thread: I need your help.

User Info Menu

Default I need your help.

I really need you help drumchat! I havnt got the oppertunity to try before i buy anywhere. There are a few im choosing between. Theres is

"Premier clubkit Lite" "Pearl Export Series" "Sonor Forece 2007" "DDrum Diatribe" "Mapex M-Series" "Premier Cabria Standard".

Has ANYONE ever tried any of these kits? Please share your experiences!

User Info Menu

Vinny, you absolutely must go with the Sonor. You will not believe how incredibly awesome these drums sound. Natch, I'm biased.

BTW, I played a Force set before I got my S-Class. Great, great drums. The other great thing about them is, if you're going to play out, you get a boatload of compliments on the set because not many people play them - everybody's got Tama and Pearl... not many people play Sonor. Also, check with PDPPlayer about DDrums - I think he went through about 3 different DDrums sets before he got the PDP's. If I recall, he was not happy at all.

Stix
    Last edited by Stix518; 07-20-2007 at 03:08 PM.
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

I know the Diatribe sounds nice after watching Kevin's videos and I'm not sure if it's the Export Series or the Master's kit that Joey Jordison plays now. The music store I'm working for has a Sonor in the studio and it's pleased me thusfar. The only thing I didn't enjoy was that it was a fusion, which the sound I do not favor, but again that's preference.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Vinny, I have to say that I don't know much about the Premier drums, so I'll leave that to others. I agree with Stix that you should leave the ddrums out of the running. They just seem to have too many problems. You might get a good, you might not!

Pearl Exports are a solid line with poplar shells. When I was choosing my drums, I thought they were solid, but not spectacular. The Sonor 2007 might be good, because they are Sonor. They're a good drum company, but the 2007 line has birchwood shells so will have less midrange tone and more higher, bright tones. Make sure you like that sound. Some do, some don't. I preferred the sound of maple shells. It's just a warmer sound, and I don't feel like I need to dampen overtones.

Which brings me to my choice. The Mapex-M Series come in all birch, or all maple shells, and is a good quality upper level intermediate kit. I would suggest the Pro M to get the maple, but that's just me.

If you look at my signature line, though, you know I have to say that you should consider the Gretsch Catalina maple kit, if you can. It is less money than the Mapex (and depending on the configuration, significantly so). Here in the States, a six piece Mapex M-Series will set you back somewhere near $1,200.00 while the Gretsch Catalina maple set comes in a six piece configuration for $699.00. You could get some good cymbals with the savings!

Hope that helps.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Well in sweden the Gretch is more expensive then the ones ive listed.

User Info Menu

Too bad, but I do understand the international thing. Of the sets you've listed, I would go with the Mapex. Then you'd have to decide on the birch, or maple shell. I'm a maple guy, so you know what I'd have to say. I just like the warmer sound.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

My Mapex M is beautiful. I would fully recommend it. And do it justice by getting a nice finish :p
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnysimmo View Post
    Well in sweden the Gretch is more expensive then the ones ive listed.
    what is the price difference between the Gretsch and the Sonor or Mapex?

User Info Menu

About 2000 KR difference. 1USdollar is about 6 or 7 KR

User Info Menu

I have the pearl export. it is a good kit. But i kinda rushed in buying that kit. i was just getting into drumming again. but now if i would have taken my time i definatley would have gone with a sonor kit. So sonor it is.