Thread: Cardioid Dynamic

User Info Menu

Default Cardioid Dynamic

need a mic to pick up my cymbals my mixer only has 4 inputs used by my drums so i was gonna get a Cardioid Dynamic usb mic since i record everything to my PC. is that a good enough mic to place overhead to pick up cymbals better?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cardioid Dynamic

With limited amount of inputs (only 4), I'd go for the widest pick-up pattern for the overhead mic.

User Info Menu

so you would say omni would be the best way to go i take it cardioid still looks good pick ups what in front of the mic and not whats behind it

User Info Menu

I know my answer is going to blow a little but it really depends on your room. I have a pair of Oktava MK-012 which come with Omni capsules, Hyper cardioid, cardioid, and super cardioid. I have tried them all in different configs and what I thought would work well ended up not sounding that great. If you can pic up a pair of pencil condensers with the ability to add different capsules in the long run you can tailor them to the room acoustics.

User Info Menu

Best mic for cymbals hands down is a condenser
    Last edited by itchie; 06-14-2012 at 07:40 AM.

User Info Menu

You can pick up a small diaphram condenser stick mic pretty cheap these days. I'm on a tight budget for drum mics and picked the AKG T-170 condenser stick mic for $145.00 USD.

AKG Perception T-170 condenser stick mic $99-$149 USD.

Cardioid pattern:

In use:

User Info Menu

Are you trying to pick up all the cymbals or just focus on the hats and ride? If you need everything, go with omnidirectional or hypercardioid; if you just want those two getting the most attention go with cardioid. Personally I prefer cardioid on everything.
    Last edited by Russ; 06-17-2012 at 04:26 PM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I totally agree with Russ. I would not mess with the omni or hyper because you are usually going to pick up a lot of crap in the recording which will decrease the fidelity of the sound if the room is not acoustically treated properly. Cardioid is the way I would go. A known quantity and pics up what is in front of it.

User Info Menu

BTW, late. Did you notice the curve on the graph? Notice how they are bumping the 10000 to 12000 range to make the drums "shimmer". A lot of companies do that. I personally do not care for that. I want a completely flat response across the curve so there is no boosting or cutting of the sound file (unless I do it) and only the most accurate reproduction of the sound. A bit of an acoustic trick to our ears some of the companies like to do. If we A/B between another set you would gravitate to the ones with the high boosted because the frequency is louder (not better in fidelity).

User Info Menu

Check the SPL of the usb mic firstly...i have a Blue Yeti usb mic, and it does distort at higher levels....Samson makes one that has a good reputation....again check the spl...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nucjd View Post
    BTW, late. Did you notice the curve on the graph? Notice how they are bumping the 10000 to 12000 range to make the drums "shimmer". A lot of companies do that. I personally do not care for that. I want a completely flat response across the curve so there is no boosting or cutting of the sound file (unless I do it) and only the most accurate reproduction of the sound. A bit of an acoustic trick to our ears some of the companies like to do. If we A/B between another set you would gravitate to the ones with the high boosted because the frequency is louder (not better in fidelity).
    Yup, I noticed the bump in that freq. range. I thought it was a bit odd but the room I'm recording in is pretty 'dry' and that bump up in the10000 to 12000 seems to help our limited efforts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Yup, I noticed the bump in that freq. range. I thought it was a bit odd but the room I'm recording in is pretty 'dry' and that bump up in the10000 to 12000 seems to help our limited efforts.
    The AKG T-170 went "dead" on a gig Saturday. It's just a year old......

User Info Menu

The AKG T-170 went "dead" on a gig Saturday. It's just a year old......
    Wow, what a drag....hopefully there's still a bit of warranty remaining, geeze even if there isn't, a mic just going dead? when was the last time you had that happen?

User Info Menu

That's a shame. Hopefully under warranty though late.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    Wow, what a drag....hopefully there's still a bit of warranty remaining, geeze even if there isn't, a mic just going dead? when was the last time you had that happen?
    We used it in the studio two weeks ago and it worked fine. Had to use a SM57 as an overhead instead.

Quote Originally Posted by nucjd View Post
    That's a shame. Hopefully under warranty though late.
    Bought it a GC. They wanted too much for the extended warranty pushing the price beyond what I thought was reasonable. I'll have to look into it and see what broke.

User Info Menu

We used it in the studio two weeks ago and it worked fine. Had to use a SM57 as an overhead instead.

Bought it a GC. They wanted too much for the extended warranty pushing the price beyond what I thought was reasonable. I'll have to look into it and see what broke.
    Operator error at the PA head. -48volt phantom power was not turned on lol!!

User Info Menu

Yay! Hope you weren't the operator!

User Info Menu

Been there done that... haha

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    Yay! Hope you weren't the operator!
    Guilty!