Thread: A to E Build finally started

User Info Menu

Default A to E Build finally started

I've finally gathered up everything to start my acoustic to electronic build, I'll be converting my PDP LX maple kit to an e-kit using a pretty simple drop in conversion. I've pretty much completed the 10" tom, just 5 more to go. Here's a few pics of what I'm up to.

the kit I'm using.

the single zone, drop-in trigger I've put together.

and with the 3 ply mesh head on.

User Info Menu

Default Re: A to E Build finally started

Did you make the drop-ins?

Do you think it will mess with your bearing edges?

Definitely looks like it will work great

User Info Menu

Thanks Longgun. Yes, I did make the drop in pans; after doing a lot of research and part gathering I'm pretty confident taking it on.

I'm not worried about this kit really, I don't see it ever going back to an acoustic setup. I don't think it will mess with the bearing edge at all though, the pan sits inside the drum, more than sitting on the edge, and the foam keeps it from shifting around. I actually fits pretty tight in there.

I finished the 12" last night as well, the feel is very good on them, no more pain in my wrists from those hard rubber pads and acoustically they are quieter than the rubber pads (according to my wife) If I can keep her happy, then it's win/win for me

User Info Menu

Great pics! Keep 'em coming!

User Info Menu

Subbed.

User Info Menu

Nice Linchpin! I saw your post on vdrum.

My brother was building some cut toms to use as pads for his TD9, using quartz cone triggers and homemade crossbars. Turned out well and now he's almost done with installing the same setup in my older Tama Crestars. No modification to the actual drum necessary as it turns out the vent hole is just the right size to fit the jack. Just use the jack instead of a grommet to hold the badge on.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Question for kaos and Lynch. Being that you still have the same big drums to cart around, what is the advantage in an A to E conversion over simply scoring a really good E-kit (ala Roland, Yamaha etc...)?

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    Nice Linchpin! I saw your post on vdrum.

My brother was building some cut toms to use as pads for his TD9, using quartz cone triggers and homemade crossbars. Turned out well and now he's almost done with installing the same setup in my older Tama Crestars. No modification to the actual drum necessary as it turns out the vent hole is just the right size to fit the jack. Just use the jack instead of a grommet to hold the badge on.
    Good stuff Kaos. It's easy to get caught up in the diy stuff. I'm stalled for the moment trying to locate panel jacks long enough, they seem to be scarce around here. I'm heading out to another electronics place in a bit, hopefully I have some luck. I'm really enjoying the build process. I would like to see your kit when it's done. I'll keep an eye out here and over at vdrums.

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Question for kaos and Lynch. Being that you still have the same big drums to cart around, what is the advantage in an A to E conversion over simply scoring a really good E-kit (ala Roland, Yamaha etc...)?

all the best...
    Valid question. I know a lot of the guys that do this want the ability to have the real sound/volume control an e-kit allows, but really don't like the look of an e-kit on stage. My personal choice was strictly for practice, it wont leave my house. I was really having a hard time practising on small pads, then band rehearsals on a full sized kit, and the rubber pads I was using were starting to cause me some issues with my wrists. Upgrading to a Roland, or Yamaha kit that would give me those features was WAY above what I could afford to buy. By the time my kit is done I think I'll be in for about $2000, drums included.

User Info Menu

KG Linchpin hit the nail on the head for me as well. I don't plan on gigging these, although it's not out of the question. These will allow me to practice quietly without the cramped feel of even mid level emits and the layout will be basically same my superstars I gig.

The other advantage is cost. I already had these drums so the out of pocket even with cymbals id like $500. That's way less than any decent ekit with mesh pads.

Lastly, its just fun messing around and trying stuff!
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

A couple of small updates. Finding TRS panel mount jacks, with long enough threads to pass all the way though the drum shell proved to be almost impossible where I live. Online would have cost me $30 which isn't a problem, but shipping would have been almost $40, and duty on top of that... so, I was a able to but plenty of these stereo female jacks with a plastic sleeve. I knew that I wouldn't be able to thread them through at all, but I figured I could work something out, and here it is.

Removing the vent fitting ... easy on the PDP kits. Just an hex key and a socket

the TRS, female, stereo jack.

Same. Removed from the plastic sleeve.

The jack installed and my mounting solution. I used some heat shrink tube and friction fitted the jack in the shell. It holds very tight in there once the tubing cooled down.

User Info Menu

Installed jack from the outside.

All toms and snare are complete and are triggering really well. On to tackle the kick drum next, then wire management. I'm using a PDP rack with right and left sides, my thought is to make some new cables and run them through the rack tubes to keep everything nice and neat.

User Info Menu

Looking good. Too bad you couldn't get the threaded ones like we used.

Wire management will be something of a chore for me since im not using my rack. Not sure how I will approach it get.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

I finished up my snare and bass drums on the weekend and had a little time to get things set up. I still need to get the wiring in order and will order some new 15" cymbals down the road.. I guess now I have E.G.A.S too

User Info Menu

Looking good! Are those the Billy Blast 2 ply heads? That's what I've got and they seem decent.

What module are you running? From the pics it looks like you've got Roland cymbals. Take a look at Yamaha PCY cymbals as a cheaper alternative, but still just as good. My brother got a PCY 135 for a 2nd crash for his TD9 and loves it. $110, so not too pricey. The PCY's work as crashes (and hats) right out of the box I believe, but they need mods to work as a 3 zone ride. Vdrum has links on how to do it all.

My plan is to get a ride, 2 crashes, and either a crash to use as hats or the upgraded RHH135 that runs like a real hat on a real stand.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Wow! Beautiful kit man, I wanted to do the same thing as a summer project get an acoustic kit and install triggers for it
    Yamaha DTX 520k
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    Looking good! Are those the Billy Blast 2 ply heads? That's what I've got and they seem decent.

What module are you running? From the pics it looks like you've got Roland cymbals. Take a look at Yamaha PCY cymbals as a cheaper alternative, but still just as good. My brother got a PCY 135 for a 2nd crash for his TD9 and loves it. $110, so not too pricey. The PCY's work as crashes (and hats) right out of the box I believe, but they need mods to work as a 3 zone ride. Vdrum has links on how to do it all.

My plan is to get a ride, 2 crashes, and either a crash to use as hats or the upgraded RHH135 that runs like a real hat on a real stand.
    Thanks. Those are the Ballsitech 3ply heads, I like the feel and look so far. We'll see how they hold out over time. The module is Roland TD-10. I have 3 pcy 155s on my list, they are the 3 zone, 15" Yamaha cymbals (I think they are $170 here). I know I can't use 3 zones on the Roland without some modding but I'm not concerned with that; I never crash on my ride. HH is the catch, I'm not sure if I'll go with a VH-11, or build something myself. Eventually the plan will be to buy the 2box module/hi-hat and replace the Roland gear.

Quote Originally Posted by luckypunk View Post
    Wow! Beautiful kit man, I wanted to do the same thing as a summer project get an acoustic kit and install triggers for it
    It's not difficult or too expensive to do. Put a good plan together from the start. I started with my 10" tom, built the trigger and tested it before diving into the entire kit, only to find out my triggers didn't work well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Linchpin View Post

It's not difficult or too expensive to do. Put a good plan together from the start. I started with my 10" tom, built the trigger and tested it before diving into the entire kit, only to find out my triggers didn't work well.
    Well i guess thats half the fun following some plan or making something you thought of and it working
    Yamaha DTX 520k
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr.

User Info Menu

Finally finished the conversion (for now) and got a chance to do a very quick, one take to see how they played.. the result, they play much better than I do All in all the feel is spot on, and triggering is pretty good, with the exception of the Roland cy8 cymbals, once I have a little cash put away I'll replace those with some nice Yamaha pcy135/155.