Thread: Snare Interference

User Info Menu

Default Snare Interference

This has been bugging me since I bought my set...
    At first I thought it was just my snare, but after fooling with it a bit, I sort of fixed it. Now I'm wondering if I can fix it comepletely. Every time the snare wire is enaged I hear it vibrate strongly whenever I hit the bass or any of my toms. It's irritating me because when I go to Guitar Center and try out their setups, I never hear that problem on the kits. Can this be fixed?

www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

yeah mine used to do that too, i tightened my snare a lot more (especially reso head) and the little knob on your snare drum that controls how tight the snares are, tighten that as much as you can, i did all that and it completely went away

User Info Menu

32ndHD, the other thing you have to consider (after CC's suggestion) is the tuning of your drums. It is possible that everything is tuned in a harmonic that vibrates your snares. Re-tuning just a bit bit higher, or lower might also help the situation.

Don't forget that you would have to adjust both the batter and resonant heads.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

As others have stated could be a tuning problem. But... have you tried tightening the he11 out of your snare drum stand basket? I mean tighten that rascal! Sometimes that helps.

More old B.S. later

Badco
    More Old B.S. later

Badco

User Info Menu

My batters are all tuned completely tight at the bottom and almost wrinkled at the top. I don't think that's the problem because thats the only reason I tuned them that way lol

User Info Menu

its because some of your toms are tuned to the same frequency as your snare. They only vibrate the snares because your probably in a small room where the sound bounces all over the walls. The best thing to do would to be to put some makeshift insulation on the walls. Either buy some at home depot/ lowes, or try what i'm doing. My dad is going to help me put up moving blankets on the walls which will act as an insulator, and absorb all the sound waves, instead of bouncing them everywhere.

User Info Menu

How about the loose snares? Anything there? We're narrowing it down, 32ndHB!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Michaganice I think hit it on the head, your resonant head on your snare is tuned to a frequency that is the same as the overtones of your other drums. Experimenting with the tuning of the snare side head should help. I've had this problem, puting sound absorbing material in the room will help also.

User Info Menu

Is it only the resonant heads of my toms and snare that are creating the problem you think? I haven't fooled with my resonant snare head in a while so I'm not sure how similar all the tuning is.

User Info Menu

Cool Snare interference

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    This has been bugging me since I bought my set...
    At first I thought it was just my snare, but after fooling with it a bit, I sort of fixed it. Now I'm wondering if I can fix it comepletely. Every time the snare wire is enaged I hear it vibrate strongly whenever I hit the bass or any of my toms. It's irritating me because when I go to Guitar Center and try out their setups, I never hear that problem on the kits. Can this be fixed?

32nd--if it occurs only when the snare is on, you might check both how close your snares are to the bottom head AND check the resonance...if the snares are too close, it'll buzz like that...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

i think u just need to buy new snare wires. the snare drum that came with my drum set had that problem, and i thought it was beacuse the batter head was worn out. but then i found out it was acctually because the snares were worn out.

if i were u i wouldn't try tightening your snares as much as you can cuz thats just gonna choke ur drum.

User Info Menu

my snare has a buzz aswell, but its my stock wires and stock head so its probably because there just so cheap and crappy, i agree with ellruss
    ellruss

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    Is it only the resonant heads of my toms and snare that are creating the problem you think? I haven't fooled with my resonant snare head in a while so I'm not sure how similar all the tuning is.
    The resonant head on the snare is the one I suggest trying to retune first, that is what solved the problem for me. Sympathetic vibration from your toms or Bass drum will cause a buzzing. The cause of the sympathetic vibration is the overtones created by the toms or bass drum being the same pitch that the bottom snare head is tuned to. Try loosening or tightening the resonant head on the snare a little and see if it improves.

Check out this web page from the drum tuning bible he explains it better than I can http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/id8.html

User Info Menu

hmmm, very interesting CD. I have a very short buzz when playing the toms and the buzz gets shorter as the toms get bigger. On my double kicks however, I get a constant buzz which as this guy suggests to ignore it, I do. I am not too bothered by it because it doesnt linger and in the mix of playing the beats with cymbals etc etc, the buzz is pretty much drained out. After all, they are snares and should vibrate to some degree shouldnt they?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by livewire80 View Post
    hmmm, very interesting CD. I have a very short buzz when playing the toms and the buzz gets shorter as the toms get bigger. On my double kicks however, I get a constant buzz which as this guy suggests to ignore it, I do. I am not too bothered by it because it doesnt linger and in the mix of playing the beats with cymbals etc etc, the buzz is pretty much drained out. After all, they are snares and should vibrate to some degree shouldnt they?
    There are different degrees of snare buzz created by other drums in the set, a little bit can be ignored and doesn't sound bad in the mix of things, it can if really pronounced get annoying. I don't think you can ever totally get rid of the buzz, but you can improve it a little if it is really bothering you.