Thread: "Multi-Rods" (or whatever you call them!)

User Info Menu

Default "Multi-Rods" (or whatever you call them!)

I just got picked up for a steady gig playing with a trio in a much quieter environment than I'm used to with my 8 piece band. For our first gig I pulled out a moldy old pair of "multi-rods" to keep the volume down and it worked great, but they needed replaced 5 years ago! Before I start my quest for a new pair (many pairs, I know they don't last long) I'd love to hear your suggestions on what brands have worked well for you. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: "Multi-Rods" (or whatever you call them!)

GJ, I just did a gig this past Sunday where we needed to keep the volume down a little. I went with a pair of Pro-Mark Hot Rods for the gig, and they worked out real well. I'm a big fan of the Hot Rods.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I like the "medium size" Hot Rods. I have used all three sizes they offer (three is all I have seen anyway). I use them sometimes when I practice so I don't disturb the fiance...too much, haha, and when I want to just have a nice mellow, light and quiet sound. They obviously have a different rebound and feel. Definitely not as sharp and defined as a stick but that's the point.

But they are cool. They make the drums and cymbals nice and mellow and airy(?). Dave Grohl on Nirvana's Unplugged album used them for the whole set. The drums sounded good, IMO.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Pro-Mark seems like the most popular when it comes to hot-rods. I personally have a pair myself and think they are really good for playing quieter songs without having to use brushes, which sometimes don't feel right in some situations.

They hold up pretty well, except when I started mindlessly bashing for a couple minutes (can't help myself ) one of the little sticks broke. They still work fine though, since there's like 15 on each stick.

User Info Menu

I use either the Pro-Mark Cool Rods (smaller sized Hot Rods), Wincent 7P or 7a Rods (made in Sweden) or Vic Firth's 'Rutes' 303. The Wincent and Rutes both have a rubber ring on the end so you can slide it along the dowels and adjust their spread from a soft brush-like stroke to an almost stick-like attack. The Vic Firth's have thicker dowels than the others, so I'd tend to use them more for a 'slightly louder' style of playing. And the cool thing about them is that they have a wooden instead of plastic handle, so you can flip them one of them over for a proper cross-stick or rim-click sound. Quite often I would use one of the Rute's in my left hand whilst I play with one of the Wincent rods in my right hand.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I've tried some others through the years. I always come back to the hot rods. They just feel good to me.

User Info Menu

I use the Pro Mark ones as well.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    GJ, I just did a gig this past Sunday where we needed to keep the volume down a little. I went with a pair of Pro-Mark Hot Rods for the gig, and they worked out real well. I'm a big fan of the Hot Rods.
    +1 for the Hot Rods
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

I've been wanting to pick up a pair or two of these.

User Info Menu

I don't like pro-mark sticks, but I'm all about the hot-rods. I used cool-rods once, but they just broke even quicker than the hot rods.
    Kits:
    -C&C Player Date 13/16/22
    -65' Ludwig Super Classic 13/16/22

Snares:
    -DW Nickel Over Brass 6.5x14 snare
    -Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 65' Super Classic 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 64' Pioneer 5x14 snare
    -PDP Classic Wood hoop 6x14 snare

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Constantinople
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    -Zildjian 20" Constantinople
    Hats:
    -17" A Medium crash over K custom dark crash

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

I prefer the synthetic to the wood. Regal Tip Flares for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by isaacvining View Post
    I don't like pro-mark sticks, but I'm all about the hot-rods. I used cool-rods once, but they just broke even quicker than the hot rods.
    What's the difference?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    What's the difference?
    The over all diameter. Hot Rods are .560" and the Cool Rods are .425" and the Lightning Rods are .530". The Hot Rods and Cool Rods have the same diameter (individual) dowels and the Lightning Rods have dowels that are a little bigger in diameter. All are 16" long.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

i'm a fan of the stealth rods.... nylon instead of wood and instead of the whole bundle being individual dowels, they're fastened to the end of a stick. so there's still the option of rim clicks and they seem to hold up a little better for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    The over all diameter. Hot Rods are .560" and the Cool Rods are .425" and the Lightning Rods are .530". The Hot Rods and Cool Rods have the same diameter (individual) dowels and the Lightning Rods have dowels that are a little bigger in diameter. All are 16" long.
    Thank you, kind sir.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the suggestions. I finally made it to the drum store today and after staring at all the choices for way too long finally went with the Vic Firth's Rutes. I like the idea of the adjustable collar to alter the sound. Tonight I'll get to find out if it was the right decision.