Thread: snare tention

User Info Menu

Default snare tention

okay, iv had my snare tighted real tight cuz it gave more rebound, but now that im advancing in drumming and getting more fussy with my sound, i tried tuning it down a bit and it sounded so much better! but im not totally satisfied with it. so question is, how should i snare be tuned in relation to all my other drums. and your gonna ask, what kind of music do you play because its different for all music, well i dont have a specific gengre i play, but i do not play heavy metal or much metal in gerneral, i dont play R&B and i dont play rap, just rock, rock pop alternative stuff i guess if that helps at all. also what should i tune my reso head? tighter then batter, loser then bater?

User Info Menu

Depends on what sound YOU like.

User Info Menu

I tune my drums in thirds but it really is subjective, I tune my snare a third higher than the small tom.

User Info Menu

I'm with CD, and I tune my resonant heads the same as my batters. Some like the resonant heads a third higher, or lower than the batter.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Find an album, or song that you like the snare sound on and I'll do what I can to lead you in the proper direction.

User Info Menu

i tune it to whatever gives me a nice crack ending in a nice ping..i found that after fiddling around, you get a feel for tuning after a while and its just personal taste. ive never really been into the technical side and the mathematical side of tuning.

User Info Menu

well i followed your tuning idea pastor bob, and im pretty satisfied with the sound, i tuned them using here comes the bride but i didnt tune my snare in realtion to my toms yet, so i think here comes the bride is all 3 notes apart? so if i tuned my snare 3 notes higher then my hi tom it should sound alright, i dont think anyone else will understand this but pastor bob

User Info Menu

Well, I'd love to take all the credit, but I have seen that concept in here, and I passed it along to you, Lafirin. My hat is off to my senior drummers for their indispensible knowledge!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

are you talking about the snare skin or the snare? If you aint getting the sound you want. Maybe either of them are streched and when released dont sound right again???
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

well i did tightin my snare quit alot, so mabye its just over stretched, but it sounds alright now and i have it tuned 3 notes higher then my hi tom, so mabye its just my skin, its my stock head anyways so what do you expect.

User Info Menu

i have both sides tuned almost as tight as they can go.
    the batter side being a little tighter than the resonant side.
    it gives a nice crack like a piccolo but it ends in an overtone.
    kind of like john dolyman's snare on toxicity if ya know what i mean
    Ostinato is the way to go!

User Info Menu

well my reso head is alot tighter, mabye ill try loosening it

User Info Menu

that or tighten the knob which turns your snare on and off
    Ostinato is the way to go!