Thread: Mallet Instrument Style Drum Pads

User Info Menu

Default Mallet Instrument Style Drum Pads

It seems to me there is still a mysterious gap in the world of electronic pads & triggers. I'm looking for a product like the Hart Hammer, but MUCH smaller. Something closer to the size of a mallet-instrument key. Imagine an eight or twelve pad surface comprised of simple 2.5" x 5" pads. No screen, nothing flashy, just the pads and the output(s). Heck, make it MIDI and be a real hero.
    I mentioned the Hart Hammer because even individual "keys" with 1/4" jacks would be great. You could plug then directly into your Alesis Trigger I/O and go to town. Seems so simple, right? What am I missing? Why can't I find a suitable device?
    I have an old Hart Multipad. This thing could be exactly what I'm looking for - it's super straight forward and really burly. The problem is that the one I have never seemed to work properly. The cross-talk is completely out of control, which is shocking considering the device is a single enclosed unit.
    If anyone has found anything like what I've describe above, PLEASE point me in the right direction. I've seen the KAT stuff, and I don't think this is what I'm looking for. They make an expansion for their small and mid-size units, which would be just about right if it was a stand-alone device. Still prohibitively priced, and I want something I can use drum sticks on.
    Suggestions?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mallet Instrument Style Drum Pads

Would the Marimba Lumina be of any help? Before I got my Adams Marimba, I was thinking about ordering one of these....although here in Australia you would be paying an arm and a leg for it! I think you should easily be able to run it with an Alesis I/O and other devices.

"...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8