Thread: Height of Hi Hats

User Info Menu

Default Height of Hi Hats

I've noticed lately that alot of big artists keep their hi hats about a foot or so above their snare. I also see this is the default setup in Guitar Center. I keep mine fairly close, about 6 or 8 inches above my snare. How high do you guys keep yours? Is it just a preference thing?

www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

i keep mine just about a foot away a bit less from the snare. im still experimenting. every time iv tried to change the hight of my hi-hat it feels weird and i always hit my sticks together or i do something dumb. but i always get used to the change after awhile. your hands just automatically start moving in different places so you can avoid hitting your sticks and stuff. anyways i dont know why i said that. look at don femularo or whatever his name is, his hi-hat is pretty much level with his snare. :| so yea i think its all about preference, only real advantage i can think of having the hi-hat real low is so you can do those fast 16th notes on the hi-hat with 2 hands, but thats just me

User Info Menu

I have mi hihat quite low. It just feel much more comfortable that way.

User Info Menu

Depends what i'm playing, if i'm playing a trashy set, i'll have them slightly higher. Although, if i'm playing a set which involves playing 2 hands on my hats i'll have them slightly lower to make it easier to play with 2 hands, its all personal preference, there is no 'set' way to have your drum kit.
    My Kit
    Yamaha DTXpress III, Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute, Yamaha Hardware, DW Pedals, Zildjian A Custom, K and ZHT Cymbals. Vic Firth Sticks.
    2 Years of Saving. Worth Every Day.

User Info Menu

I have a tendency to play my hi hats pretty close to my snare (about 6 or 7 inches) but it doesn't give you as much room. But because I've been playing for so many years, I can get a lot of power from my wrist with little arm movement.
    - Tom

See the new Drum Bum Store!

When you shop at Drum Bum or BuyGifts.com, you help with the costs of operating DrumChat.com. Please consider patronizing their fine stores. Whether you need unique music gifts for friends or just want a little something for yourself, Drum Bum is the place!

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

A few inches above my snare, I have my snare pretty high compared to some drummers.

User Info Menu

I keep mine about a foot higher, when I'm playing a ride pattern on the Hi-hat, I find that if it's lower I have trouble playing the small tom with my left hand while playing the ride pattern with my right.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    A few inches above my snare, I have my snare pretty high compared to some drummers.
    I saw your snare, it was inainly high, but thats coool. thats what makes you unique.

User Info Menu

I like to have my hats high. I'm pretty animated with my arms and play cross over. I find if I lower my hats I'm bumping arms and clicking sticks. One day I'll be proficient at open hand style so I won't have to worry about this anymore. Blessings........

User Info Menu

i chaged my set up, my hat is about 2-3 inchs away, i smetimes hit my hands togeather, but iv found a way to avoid that.

User Info Menu

Mine is as far as I can get it, I need a lot of room

User Info Menu

Hi hat placement is the only thing that confuses me on my kit.
    That and the floor tom. Grr.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

My Left Hand Hi-hats Are Actually A Dw Remote Setabout The "11 O-clock Position" Of My Primary Snare,,,, A Little Lower Than My 8"x12" Mounted Tom..angled Slightly Towards Me....my Closed Hats On Right Hand Side Are 6" Above My Floor Tom,,,,i Do Not Cross My Hands When I Play....if I Need That Washy Sound I Move My Righthand To The Remote And My Snare Hand To The Left On A Monster Pearl Stainless Snare,,,,,