Thread: Todd Sucherman

User Info Menu

Default Todd Sucherman

Todd Sucherman

Couldn't believe no one listed Sucherman but I couldn't find him so I decided to add him. I think I could enjoy turning off the sound and just watch him move as he plays. He has power, finesse, technical skills coming out of every orifice and great speed.

Drummer -Todd Sucherman
    Main Style -Rock
    Main Band -Styx
    Brief Summary -In 1988 after leaving Berklee, Sucherman returned to Chicago and quickly established himself as a noted session musician. As an in demand player for live and session work, Sucherman recorded with Styx in March 1995 when they went to rerecord "Lady", now titled "Lady '95", for their 1995 Greatest Hits album, though he was uncredited. In February 1996 when it came time for the Return to Paradise tour and drummer John Panozzo was unable to perform, Sucherman was asked to join them for the tour. After John Panozzo's death on July 16, 1996, Sucherman became a full time member, appearing on the 1997 live album, Return to Paradise.

In addition to Styx duties, he has played with such artists as Brian Wilson, Tommy Shaw, Peter Cetera, Brian Culbertson, The Falling Wallendas, Steve Cole, and Spinal Tap, among others.

In September 2008, Sucherman was a featured artist in the prestigious Modern Drummer Festival. He also appeared on the cover of the October 2008 issue of Modern Drummer magazine.

In 2009 the Modern Drummer Magazine voted him number one Rock Drummer in the World.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Todd Sucherman

Thanks for posting Todd's profile dkc1061. I've been wanting to, but you beat me to it. He's is one of my favorite drummers.

And...Welcome to DC! Glad to have you here!
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Thanks for adding Todd Sucherman. He's a gentleman and a scholar as the saying goes. I had the great pleasure of attending one of his clinics in 2009 during his reign on top as "best drummer" and best of all, Mike Johnston welcomed and introduced Todd at this clinic; another classy gentleman.

Todd's has a reputation of being a brilliant clinician and he certainly proved it that day. His kit was provided by a local indie music store and set up at a local university.

Last edited by late8; 06-28-2012 at 10:14 PM.

User Info Menu

The message I got from attending a Todd Sucherman clinic was this:

User Info Menu

Very cool late8!

I'll never get tired of watching this video. Even if you're not a fan of STYX music, you gotta admire Todds playing.

"it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Nice! Always loved Styx. Funny story, a few years ago I was at the Pearl booth a NAMM. Todd was the only other person there and just about 10 feet away from me. I stood there thinking, who is that guy! Duh, what a dope I am.

User Info Menu

DrummerD, thanks for the welcome. And ditto on the video. I could watch it endlessly. I've known of Sucherman for years but until the last few months, and I don't know why it took so long, I haven't really taken the time to appreciate his talent.
    Last edited by dkc1061; 06-30-2012 at 03:00 PM. Reason: I just goofed.

User Info Menu

During the last two years I have had the pleasure of seeing STYX twice; TS was brilliant at the kit during both concerts. He provides an entirely new facet to this traditional rock band.
    Panozzo was a good drummer and a devoted member, but his death created a vacancy that TS fills with overflowing ability.

He has the speed and the power, which is. as we all know, the Holy gift of modern drumming.
    He is also one of those guys that spent some time studying at Berklee; seems that institution has a good recent track record of churning out some monster drummers.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Check this out, new song from Styx, Todd in the studio , amazing drummer.
    https://youtu.be/3XNRPB53cKs

User Info Menu

I met him not to long ago. He was at my store for a clinic. Great drummer!!

User Info Menu

Such a master.
    Signature here