Thread: E-drums and Superior Drummer

User Info Menu

Default E-drums and Superior Drummer

I recently found out about the amazing software called superior drummer. It sounds better than any of the Roland sounds and can be used on any electronic kit!

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Does it help make the pads more sensitive or is pad sensitivity relative tot he trigger pads themselves?

check out this video!
    hmm still dont know how to post videos. so link below

http://youtu.be/SiNhJABnfHc
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

Default Re: E-drums and Superior Drummer

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkat View Post
    I recently found out about the amazing software called superior drummer. It sounds better than any of the Roland sounds and can be used on any electronic kit!

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Does it help make the pads more sensitive or is pad sensitivity relative tot he trigger pads themselves?

check out this video!
    hmm still dont know how to post videos. so link below

http://youtu.be/SiNhJABnfHc
    Hay there, yeah well I started drumming in october, started out with a DM5 clone, after about 3 months I got bored with the dynamics and sounds, so went down the addictive drums route. In terms of dynamics, pads are piezo fired so they are as sensitive as the drum module (brain) allows them to be, in my case they not very, so swapped the module to a triggerIO and it was like playing a totally new kit. Its fairly expensive to buy the software but its totally worth it.

My last video I did was of a little project of a buying 2 toms, a 12" and 13", cutting them down and making them electronic, the video is here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9PGphXwg5I, that's running through a trigger IO to addictive drums.

User Info Menu

Great video. Great drummer!

The pad sensitivity in MIDI terms is down to the pads/module configuration. You can change the velocity curve in Superior Drummer, though.

I use Superior Drummer with my Yamaha e-kit and it's brilliant.

User Info Menu

Superior is excellent software, very versatile. You can get very deep into adjusting velocity and voice layers if you want to. There are some very good videos from Toontrack on Youtube I would recommend watching.

I make most of my sensitivity adjustments at my module to get the pads responding the way I would like them to, then adjust voice layers and limits in Superior to get them sounding the way I like. I use Superiors mixer panel for mike and bleed adjustments, and add any fx like compression, verb, filters and gates in my DAW software. If your pc/laptop will allow it, run Superior in multi-channel, if offers way more control over individual kit pieces.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Hay there, yeah well I started drumming in october, started out with a DM5 clone, after about 3 months I got bored with the dynamics and sounds, so went down the addictive drums route. In terms of dynamics, pads are piezo fired so they are as sensitive as the drum module (brain) allows them to be, in my case they not very, so swapped the module to a triggerIO and it was like playing a totally new kit. Its fairly expensive to buy the software but its totally worth it.

My last video I did was of a little project of a buying 2 toms, a 12" and 13", cutting them down and making them electronic, the video is here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9PGphXwg5I, that's running through a trigger IO to addictive drums.
    What was the name of the Addictive Drums - Kit setting you used in your video?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mdee View Post
    What was the name of the Addictive Drums - Kit setting you used in your video?
    Hay there,

The kit in the video is a clean Tama Starclassic.

User Info Menu

Thanks - Sounds Great! Sometimes it's easy to overlook certain Kit Pieces.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mdee View Post
    Thanks - Sounds Great! Sometimes it's easy to overlook certain Kit Pieces.
    Totally agree, I used to play on the default startup kit, then I found that one and totally love the sound of it.

User Info Menu

I don't use superior drummer myself but I agree that the built in kits on every ekit I've ever played on do not match up to what software you can get out there. I've use Native Instruments abbey road drums in the past and it really is outstanding how good they can sound. Unfortunately for me though it would be a miked up real kit any time purely because when I play my ekit I feel limited and my technique often gets lazy.