Thread: A Little Help Please...

User Info Menu

Default A Little Help Please...

As some of you know, I just purchased the Tama S.L.P G-Maple 13x7 snare drum. I love this snare, but to be honest, I have never owned a snare drum, with dual snare adjustments(buttplate and throw) and I am just not sure how to properly use this. Can you please explain how to use these to help maximize my snare tension. I am sorry if I sound like an idiot, I just truly am not sure how to use them. I feel that If I tighten one side it's to much or not enough and it pulls on the wires unevenly or something. I would just really appreciate some help from some of you experts.

Thanks you
    FILL YOUR LIFE WITH INSPIRATION TO INSPIRE

DW Collectors - Paragon - Vic Firth -

User Info Menu

Default Re: A Little Help Please...

Just make sure the wires are at your desired tension and centered on the head and you're good to go.

User Info Menu

My Black Panther has tension adjustments on both ends as well, and I just try to keep the tension relatively even on both sides. I'm just as clueless as you as to what the "right" way to do it is, but keeping them close to the same makes sense to me.
    Matt

User Info Menu

I'm glad someone has asked this. My Black Panther has the same tension adjustments &,as I'm happy with the sound it came with, I haven't altered the tension. The problem would come when the time came to do so. Thanks for the advice. It seems obvious now, but I was wondering!
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

As far as i know, the point of the double tension snares is so you can center the snare wire correctly or keep tension even across the head.

Say you want to crank up the wires... crank both sides evenly so that your wires are still centered on the head, but much tighter. Offset snares can cause unwanted buzzing and or itchiness. (felt like a paid advertisement).
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpatzST View Post
    As far as i know, the point of the double tension snares is so you can center the snare wire correctly or keep tension even across the head.

Say you want to crank up the wires... crank both sides evenly so that your wires are still centered on the head, but much tighter. Offset snares can cause unwanted buzzing and or itchiness. (felt like a paid advertisement).
    +1. The point of having an adjuster on both sides is so that you can keep the wires centered and still change the snare tension.

Let's say you had a snare with a traditional tension adjuster on the throw off, but not on the other side. If you dramatically increased the snare tension, there is a chance that you might pull the wires off from center and the edge of the wires might now be hanging off the rim of the drum, causing buzz. If you wanted your snares that tight you would have to loosen the butt plate, pull the wires closer to that side, then re-tighten everything so that when under tension the wires ended up in the center of the reso head. With an adjuster on both sides, you can just crank them up and down together and the snare tension will change but the the wires will stay centered on the head.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

I agree with the reasoning behind the centering thing, although I've never experienced one-sided-offset wires with a traditional, single throw off. I think two adjustments is for fine tuning plus looks cool!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

My old Premier snare is like that, a parallel strainer action. Like MattDrums said, so long as you've got your snare wires at an even tension and it's all centred correctly on your snare head, then it should be right.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8