Thread: looking for snare help

User Info Menu

Default looking for snare help

I am ready to buy a new snare! I'm very excited but I don't know what to get, I have a few in mind but before I talk about that I would like to preface this with what sound I am looking for: I am looking for a thick-ish/beefy sound when struck normally, but a loud crack when rimshot. I am mostly into prog metal so Loud cracks for the snare are good. I also dig/play jazz, so I would like to be able to get a jazzy sound if possible but thats not a requirement. Here is my list of contestants:

DW Performance Series Snare Drum
    Orange County Maple Snare
    Spaun Vented Steel Chrome Snare
    Spaun acrylic vented snare
    Pork pie brass snare drum with tube lugs.
    pork pie little squealer
    pork pie acrylic snare drum
    Gretsch new classic wood snare
    Gretsch drums hammered Brass Snare Drum

So, If any of you have any suggestions are anything else to add to the list, your advice is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Gretschfan
    zebra wrapped gretsch catalina club mod:
    12" tom
    16" floor tom
    14" snare
    22x20 kick

Cymbals:
    17" saluda mist x crash
    20" saluda decadence ride
    14" Saluda mist x hats
    16" dream bliss crash
    10" wuhan splash (modified via salt water)

User Info Menu

Default Re: looking for snare help

Ludwig Black Beauty

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gretschfan:) View Post
    DW Performance Series Snare Drum
    I own a DWPS kit with the 6.5" snare. It is the only piece that didn't really impress me. It's definitely not bad, but if there is a DW dealer near you, go try out a few other DW snares. I don't think the performance series will be your favorite DW snares after you have tried more.

I notice some acrylic snares on your list also. The DW dealer here also sells Crush. I was very impressed with their acrylic kit including its snare. I have read that they will have colors as well as clear soon. The back order / wait time is longer than you might want to wait though. Anyway, if you see one in a demo room, don't walk past it without giving it a listen!
    DWPS 7pc

User Info Menu

The Performance series 8x14 is a legit snare. I can't speak for the shallower standard performance series snares however.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

I use the 13x7 Pork Pie Little Squealer and I love it. I have it tuned super high with a remo ambassador. Even the guys in my band love it. Great drum. Oh, I also play metal .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Ludwig Black Beauty
    +1.
    Also the TAMA S.L.P. Maple.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

I agree with the BB man nice drum. You can also check out some Pearl they make good some good snares too. I love my Pearl MCX all maple snare and my Eliminator steel alloy snare but there are alot of other great snares out there so it will be a challenge to find the right one for you.

User Info Menu

Ludwig Black Beauty
    +1 (6.5x14" for loud crack)

User Info Menu

I'd try to find videos online of the drums to get a feel for the sound. I'm partial to brass snares myself. If you can find a deal on a PDP Hammered Brass (they are discontinued) I can recommend that snare. It's my main snare drum. It beats a collectors 10+6 and a dynasonic. Good luck :D
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

The Ludwig BB is an expensive snare, more than most if not all of the snares on your list. From what's on your list, I would recommend the PP Little Squealer. I have the 13x7 vented maple version of that snare, and it's fantastic.
    kits:
    Mapex Saturn IV -- Transparent Espresso Walnut (10-12-14-16-22)
    RMV Bapeva shell -- Blue Sparkle (12-14-16-22)

snares:
    14x6.5 Yamaha seamless brass
    14x6.5 Taye Metalworks vintage brass
    14x6.5 Taye Metalworks stainless steel
    14x6 Tama Starphonic brass
    14x6 Pork Pie maple
    10x6 Pork Pie maple

cymbals:
    14" K's and New Beats

20" Byzance Sand Ride
    20" K Custom Dark Ride
    21" HHX Legacy Ride
    20" and 22" Dream Contact Crash/Rides

15" AAX Dark Crash
    16" Signature Fast Crash
    18" Saluda Earthworks Crash
    20" Crash of Doom

8" A Custom splash
    10" Signature splash

electronics:
    Roland SPD-30
    Alesis Sample Pad Pro

User Info Menu

Ludwig Black Beauty
    +1.....I would add that if you can't afford it, a supraphonic is a close second IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Nechre View Post
    The Performance series 8x14 is a legit snare. I can't speak for the shallower standard performance series snares however.
    I can also vouch for the 14 x 8...great snare....for under 350 it is hard to beat

User Info Menu

Since the Black Beauty has been mentioned but, as also has been mentioned, is out of your budget, I'd recommend the Pork Pie BOB.
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    Also the TAMA S.L.P. Maple.
    +1 I own this Tama 13x7 and it's awesome

Just go to a drum shop and start hitting snares
    FILL YOUR LIFE WITH INSPIRATION TO INSPIRE

DW Collectors - Paragon - Vic Firth -

User Info Menu

Okay if the Ludwig BB is too expensive, this one on the list would be my choice:

Gretsch drums hammered Brass Snare Drum: $379.00 USD

User Info Menu

btw, my budget is pretty much unlimited, I'd like to stay under 800 though,
    12" tom
    16" floor tom
    14" snare
    22x20 kick

Cymbals:
    17" saluda mist x crash
    14" Saluda mist x hats
    16" dream bliss crash

User Info Menu

and A side note, I dont really like the sound of ludwig snares. :/ sorry.
    12" tom
    16" floor tom
    14" snare
    22x20 kick

Cymbals:
    17" saluda mist x crash
    14" Saluda mist x hats
    16" dream bliss crash

User Info Menu

Have to learn to tune them. Black Beauties are a bit touchy.

User Info Menu

OK the joe rickard signature snare by spaun is looking mighty fine right now.
    12" tom
    16" floor tom
    14" snare
    22x20 kick

Cymbals:
    17" saluda mist x crash
    14" Saluda mist x hats
    16" dream bliss crash

User Info Menu

I agree that Ludwig knows how to make some junky snares. The Black Beauty is in a league of its own, though. I own a DW BnB and it is a really good snare and costs over $400 anywhere you buy it. The Black Beauty is better. I'm not afraid to admit it. My friend has one, and out of dozens of drummers I know, he is the only guy whose snare just blows mine away. It is really, really nice.

Just my $0.02 but like a lot of snare options, if you go into a store and they have a black beauty there, do not leave without testing it out. You might fall in love with it.
    DWPS 7pc

User Info Menu

2 Suggestions:

ONE: Tama's Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14 x 6.5 or the smaller 14 x 5.5 . I just ordered the 14 x 6.5 and they come in 4 or 5 Finishes...however, the expected production & delivery date runs 120 to 150 days from the Order date. They also make the Starclassic Elite snares and drum kits in Walnut and in Maple...All the Elite snares and drum kits are manufactured at their factory in Japan and these are Tama's Top of the Pro-Line drums.

The Bubinga Elite lists for $1062.00 and most sales prices run from $680 to 760.00.

The S.L.P series have a Bubinga snare as well as a Bubinga/Birch snare and are manufactured in China - Intermediate line drums. Sales prices are around $350.00 or there-abouts.

TWO: Yamaha's Loud Series Oak 14 x 5.5 Or the 14 x 7 snare drum in a number of finishes. One of our members just picked up a slightly used one 14 x 7 from his local Guitar Center for $199.00. So...check with your local GC and see what they have in their Used snare drums...in fact, any store can check the Used inventory of any of the GC stores online.
    This snare is one of Yamaha's top Pro-Line snare drums...the matching kit is the Oak Custom Shell pack...although Yamaha does sell the Oak Custom snare drum in the 14 x 5.5 size...the Loud Series had 9 Vent Holes for some real loud response...if you want it to be loud, it has the ability to be so...more so than Maple or Birch and as much if not more than the metal snares.

Yamaha's list price runs around $900.00 and sales prices run $400.00 to $500.00.

I would have suggested the Pearl Free Floating Copper Shell in the 14 x 6.5 size but Pearl dropped them from their inventory...you might find one of these on Ebay or Craigs List. I have a maple FF as well as the Copper shell ...love em both.

Aint G.A.S. a Blast~!!!

Thats my contribution to add to your "selection"...to choose from.
    Last edited by Warren Wright; 07-06-2012 at 08:38 PM.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

btw, my budget is pretty much unlimited, I'd like to stay under 800 though,
    I found this Gretsch USA Custom maple 6.5x14 demo for under $600. Talk about 'crack'...

User Info Menu

id love to have any Ludwig snare, supra, BB, Acro.
    i play a Gretsch Cat Maple snare i bought on a whim for 75 bucks.
    doubt ill ever get rid of it. gives me everything i could ask for.
    i had a Percussion Plus brass piccolo 10 lug that i loved but i never played it after getting the Cat, i traded it at GC, the salesguy whom i know well, thought i was handing him a piece of junk untill he played it, he was in shock at the sound. he had no problem selling it. a month later i was talking with him and he said everyone who looked at it said "percussion plus?" he would tell them to just play it first before passing judgement.