Thread: Budget cymbals dilemma.

User Info Menu

Default Budget cymbals dilemma.

I just joined the forums and would like some help determining new cymbals. I looking for cheap, good sounding cymbals. I have been playing drums for about 2-3 years ( not very good, either). I need to replace the brand cymbals that came with my bad star-caster fender drum set. I currently have replaced the ride with an HCS Meinl 20 inch ride. I really like the ride, but I am looking to replace my hi hat and crash with maybe a slightly better quality. I am leaning towards the MCS meinl, but I don't know if better cymbals from other companies are available at the sameish price range.
    If I posted this thread in the wrong section or messed anything else up, I'm sorry. Just need some help.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Budget cymbals dilemma.

Keep your eyes peeled on the used market. There are great deals to be had on used pro level gear. Are you opposed to mixing and matching brands, or are you wanting to stick to Meinl? What type of music do you play? The more specific you are as far as what you're looking for, the better we will be able to help you.

Welcome to the forum also!
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat imnotverygood9!

I agree with defcon's post. With a little more information, we could give more specific advice. Maybe you could give us a budget range and how many cymbals you were considering. That way, we would know whether used professional cymbals might be ok to consider. A lot of us here work on more limited budgets, so used gear is on a lot of our kits.

The big limitation right now will be that you have found a Ride that you liked, so you will be looking for cymbals that have a sound that compliment that Ride. If there is a music store near you, it might help you to take your Ride with you and hear it with other cymbals to decide what sounds right together - for your ears.

Again, welcome!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

@pastor_bob

I normally play jazz and rock, ( a mix of things, from ozzy to the beatles to kool and the gang and jay chattaway) I would like to keep my drumset all purpose, not really be set to one genre. My budget range is crash under $90 and hi hat under 120. I need decent cymbals, maybe slightly above entry grade. ( also, I don't really lke crash

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by imnotverygood9 View Post
    @pastor_bob

I normally play jazz and rock, ( a mix of things, from ozzy to the beatles to kool and the gang and jay chattaway) I would like to keep my drumset all purpose, not really be set to one genre. My budget range is crash under $90 and hi hat under 120. I need decent cymbals, maybe slightly above entry grade. ( also, I don't really lke crash
    With that budget you might want to look at used mid-level cymbals...Sabian Xs20, Paiste Alpha, Meinl Classic, Zildjian ZXT/ZHT. Personally I would recommend Sabian Xs20's as they are cast B20 bronze cymbals, which sound better than the B8 sheet bronze that other companies use at that price range. I just did a quick search on eBay and you should definitely be able to find some that fit your budget.
    Matt

User Info Menu

With your budget, you could definitely be looking for used pro cymbals. The difference between pro bronze cast cymbals and economy sheet cut brass cymbals is significant. The trick will be to be patient as you look for good used cymbals - some will fit your budget, while others may not. This is a pretty good time to be buying used, though. Some good, all purpose cymbals would be Zildjian A, and A Custom series, and Sabian AA, and AAX series. Again, if you are considering pro level, then you should hear them with your Ride before you buy.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

If you want to keep your cymbals all purpose, look for used Zildjian A's or Sabian AA's. They can be had at great prices and are very versatile.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

I'm putting together an acoustic kit after playing electronic. I went to a couple of local stores and really listened to a number of different cymbals and brands. Then did a lot of online research (that's how I found this excellent forum). Decided on the Zildjian A series because I wanted well made and something that can take me "pro". Of course, the most important thing was I really like how they sound.

I've picked up three used, all in good to very good condition. Two on eBay. One at Guitar Center (they really don't want to keep a lot of used inventory around). I'm also keeping my eye on Craiglist.

You just have to patient. I didn't get mine all at once. But I do spend a good amount of time scouring. Pastor Bob is right, it does seem to be a buyers market. Also, be flexible. I originally wanted the 18" crash. But the deal at Guitar Center on the 17" was too good pass up and the sound difference wasn't really that big.

I made "friends" with one of the guys at Guitar Center. Just went in and starting talking drums and told him what I'm looking for. Now he keeps me in mind when something used comes in.

As for eBay, be careful of the condition. Know the price of what something is going for new. Don't get in a bidding war out of your budget just because you really want something. There will be another coming along soon.
    Last edited by Rain; 07-07-2012 at 11:16 AM.
    Rocka Rolla Woman

Mapex Black Raven
    14" Zildjian New Beat Hi Hats
    Zildjian 16" Fast Crash
    17" Zildjian A Custom Crash
    21" Zildjian A Sweet Ride

User Info Menu

In my opinion, if you only have enough money to "slightly" upgrade your cymbals, don't do it. Stick what what you have and save your pennies so you can upgrade to good cymbals.

That being said, you can find deals and steals on Craigslist, Ebay, and pawn shops. But I wouldn't waste my money on "upgrading" to cymbals that aren't good when ultimately, later on, you will spend more money on good cymbals anyway.
    Drums:
    Ludwig Classic Maple
    Tama Starclassic Performer

Cymbals:
    20" K ride
    20" K custom dry ride
    16" A custom crash
    14" New Beat hats
    14" K custom dark crash
    Ensembles
    Oregon Crusaders (DCI) 09 - bass 4
    OC Indoor (WGI) '10 - Snare 3rd place PIO
    OC Indoor (WGI) '11 - Snare PIW FINALIST!
    University of Oregon marching band '09 '10 '11 - Snare

User Info Menu

I agree with Mike L, though if you are looking to upgrade now, the earlier suggestions work. Check eBay/Craigs for used gear, inspect it thoroughly for defects before you buy. Take your ride with and compare. Or, you can give some low/mid ranges a try. If you're looking to stick with Meinl (I like Meinl ) then give the Classics and Classics Customs a look. Sabian XS20s are nice, and I've heard a lot of good about Paiste PST5s. I like Zildjian, but they lack a good mid-range. ZHTs and ZXTs have never cut it for me. Also, give Dream Cymbals a look. The Bliss and Contact series are the most common, and they are high quality cymbals with a mid-range price tag. If I were you, I'd save for a really nice pair of hats. I went one at a time top of the line in order of importance. It takes a while, but you won't be disappointed.
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

Another place to look for used cymbals is pawn shops. I checked out one for the first time recently and walked out with a 15" ZIldjian K Custom Dark Crash for $25. It's very hit-and-miss at those places and you have to be very lucky to score like that, but it's worth checking every once and awhile

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Obviously the best way to upgrade anything when it comes to drums is to look for and get used.

But, there is a new cymbal manufacturer called Kasza. These cymbals are priced below many of the major brands budget/entry level cymbals yet they have a very "expensive" sound that will give the major brands a very good run for their money and sound any day!!

I have purchased a couple Kaszas recently. I am looking to duplicate the set up I have now so I can outfit a second kit and not have to move stuff from the kit at home when I play out. So I went to the drum shop several months ago and prepared myself to shell out a lot of cash for Zildjians.

My buddy that works at the shop asked me to check out the new line of cymbals he had just started selling. I was very impressed with the look and sound and when I turned the cymbals over to look at the price I almost fell over, not because they were expensive, quite the opposite.

Kasza's are a hand made cymbal from a small company based in China. Each cymbal is cast, lathed, hammered and tested before it goes to market. If the cymbal doesn't pass, it is put in a pile and melted back down to be recast.

The sound is incredible and the price is unbelievable.

I bought two right then and there. I am going back to buy more but they fly off the racks almost as soon as they come in.

Kasza offers two lines. The F (fusion) series and the R (rock) series. As you can guess the F series are a little lighter and brighter than the R series which are a little heavier and darker and slightly louder.

I like the F series crashes because they are a little more representative of the sound I like from my K and K Custom dark and thin dark crashes. I like the R series rides and I can't decide which series hi hats I like so for the price I will get both series, 14" in the F series and 13" in the R series.

Anyway check out Kasza.

No, I don't work for them or represent them in any way. I'm just very excited that a well made, great sounding cymbal can be this affordable.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Just Google Saluda. They're made in the U.S. and have a big range of selection. They look good and are priced 1/3 of most top of the lines. Check the Saluda Cymbals thread in this forum.
    Last edited by slinglander; 07-08-2012 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Added comment
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Mike L hit the nail on the head.... even if you have to upgrade one at a time it's worth it to wait and get the good stuff because you will buy it eventually, trust me! and everyone is absolutely right about the used market. i will probably never buy a brand new cymbal ever again. there's just so many cymbals out there floating around waiting for all the guys on this forum to buy them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nubdrummer View Post
    Another place to look for used cymbals is pawn shops. I checked out one for the first time recently and walked out with a 15" ZIldjian K Custom Dark Crash for $25. It's very hit-and-miss at those places and you have to be very lucky to score like that, but it's worth checking every once and awhile
    you nubdrummer, scored the deal of the century. i still cant get over that one.
    i agree with the idea of keeping what you have until you can score pro cymbals. i keep playing my ZBTs until i can get Zildjian As. i know what i want and i cant afford them yet. spent an hour testing cymbals at GC one day. its good to know the sales staff!

User Info Menu

There are steals and deals all day long on CL and ebay. You have to be patient and have a watchful eye. Keep an eye out for pro level used cymbals. You can snag them with pennies on the dollar of what they cost new if you dig a little.

User Info Menu

Here in Australia, gumtree.com and Trading Post I scour all the time. That's why they're saved to my favourites on my laptop. Face it, I'm such a drum nerd, lol.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Just as everyone has said, buying used is a great option for getting better cymbals at an affordable price. And for your budget it's better to get some higher level cymbals IMO.

I got ZBT's from ebay like 2 months ago and they didn't sound as I expected. Then some weeks later I was bidding on a pair of A Customs that finally got for $99 plus $15 shipping. I totally love them and sound like a charm to me, so for what you plan on spending I suggest something better than "budget" cymbals. Also ZHT's sound good in my opinion, just have heard them once but they sounded crisp & neat to my ears. Not very experienced in other brands so those are my 2 cents.

User Info Menu

I just bought a set of Kasza Cymbals for my secondary kit. They sound great and the price is decent.

13" hi-hats $125.00
    16" medium crash $70.00
    18" medium crash $90.00
    18" china $100.00
    20" medium ride $150.00

Not bad considering that would only buy me a couple Zildjian A custom's.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all of the help. Guys. I checked out a bunch of great used deals at guitar center and am almost completely set on a pair of used Zildjian Avedis New beats and a used 16 inch Sabian AAX stage crash. Those seem to be the highest end possible cymbals on the sites ( except for the cool artist stuff) for an amazing price. thanks guys.
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.