Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ever met any famous drummers?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ever met any famous drummers?

I've met Thomas Lang, Terry Bozzio , Chad Wackerman, Akira Jimbo and Dennis Chambers. All after seeing them in clinic.

User Info Menu

Thomas lang, he's a nice fella.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    Really, not the best drummer? he's better than Taylor, even Taylor says that.
    I think Dave is a very good drummer, but a minimalistic drummer, where as, for me anyway, Taylor has more.
    I like Dave's early stuff with Scream and Nirvana, and really really like QOTSA, and the Probot stuff,and it is a bit like the style I play with my band.
    but Taylor just seems to have something extra, and has more colour in his playing, that's all.
    I have seen Taylor drumming live, but not Dave drumming, I will get back to you if I ever see him Drum live!
    Bridie
    Last edited by Bridie; 06-24-2014 at 02:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Jeff Hamilton and Mike Clark
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!

User Info Menu

Well, I've met Matt Nicholls, James Cassells, Valentino Arteaga, and Matt Greiner. Not exactly FAMOUS drummers, but some of my favorites.
    Sabian AAX Xplosion crash 18"
    Sabian AAX Xplosion crash 16"
    Sabian AAX Xplosion hats 14"
    Sabian Vault Holy China 19"
    LP Ice Bell 7" (love it)
    Sabian AA 12" Mini China

User Info Menu

several

User Info Menu

Jim Riley
    Chris Adler
    Lee Levine
    All at Resurrection Drums hosted clinics, or other events.

I also know a steel drummer who goes by "Chilly Willy" that's been in a movie and is HUGE in the islands.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Went to highschool with the little brother of Bun E. Carlos from Cheap Trick. Got to meet him a few times just hanging at the house during Cheap Trick's early days. Didn't seem to be a big deal at the time.
    Gretsch Renown
    Ludwig Supraphonic
    Zildjian
    15”, 16”, 18” K Dark Thin
    16”, 18” K Sweet
    16" A Custom EFX
    20" K Custom Dark Ride
    22” 60’s A Ride
    14" 50's Thin hats
    14” K Sweet hats

User Info Menu

Thinking of a few Australian ones.

Well years back, a band I played with used to rehearse at a place in Sydney called Sound Level, in Ultimo. Turned out that the band two rehearsal spaces away from us was The Backsliders, the blues roots side band of Rob Hirst, the drummer for Midnight Oil. The two singers in my band, being members of APRA (Australasian Performing Right Association), already knew Hirst from the songwriters scene, so they introduced me to Hirstie....what a cool, laidback guy! We talked shop about vintage snares when we were on a couple of breaks. Even better, we realised we had three degrees of separation....The Oils have done a number of outback tours with The Urban Guerillas as their support.....Ken, the singer of The Guerillas is a mate of mine, and the drummer Mick is one of my good drummer mates. Ken in turn went to uni with The Oils singer Peter Garrett, and Rob said he highly rated my mate Mick as a drummer.

Did a music festival with the same band, and one of the bands playing that event was a group that had Barton Price, the drummer from the 80's Australian band The Models. He was playing one of the few Roland TD-20 kits I'd seen at that time (he stuck in a couple of acoustic items in that set up from what I remember). Anyway, helluva great drummer, and once again pretty cool and laidback.

For the Aussies around my age or so, there's the group The Radiators. Last week, went to pick up a new Roland pedal from mu local drum store, walked in to say hi to my mate behind the upstairs counter and standing next to him was a familiar face.....Mark Lucas from "The Rads"! The first thing I said was "there's a familiar face..." whilst I had Mark scrutinise me for a minute before the penny dropped. Two decades back, Mark used to work at a music store in Penrith, and at that time in the early 90's, my day job was working at the Social Security office there.....the music store was a few minutes walk from my workplace, and most days on my lunch break I'd walk in, say hi, and talk shop with Mark, watching him work out on a practice pad on the counter and so forth. He said "Aren't you...?" before shaking hands with me and asked where the heck I've been all this time! Nick, my mate at the store told Mark I've been teaching drums for quite a while now, while Mark sat there grinning all the time. I just had to grab his number after not seeing him for so long (he doesn't use Facebook), and the weirdest thing for me now was to find out that The Rads did a gig up at Newcastle tonight with Spy vs Spy, another great Australian band, who have an acquaintance of mine from my college days on bass!

Kram, drummer and singer from Spiderbait. Met him when I was doing percussion for a singer at an Australian Day concert around 2008. Even though Aussie drummers might know Kram (real name Mark Maher) as a rock drummer, we had a cool little chat about percussion and jazz drumming of all things! Pretty smart guy.

Pete Kostic (Front End Loader, Regurgitator, The Hard Ons, Vicious Hairy Mary and other bands) used to work quite a bit at one of the Billy Hyde stores in Sydney (nowadays he works at another drum shop). Really cool guy. In fact he was the one who looked after me getting some of my Paiste Cup Chimes and a specialty Paiste Splash, when I was having some problems with the shipment.

Lindy Morrison, the drummer from The Go-Betweens, runs a music course in Bondi. I think it was a day where some of us from my local music college went there for an APRA day, and she was one of the speakers. During the break, I introduced myself to her, and she as we talked about drumming influences, I said I like Mark Brzezicki's work with Big Country, The Cult and so forth. Then she mentioned she actually used to take lessons with him!

A while back there was a cool little drum clinic organised locally. Besides the two international guys, Dom Famularo and Gregg Bissonette, there was also an Aussie with them....Virgil Donati. Got all three of them to sign a drumhead for me. I'll have to find that picture.

And here's one for you that probably not many know. Did you know singer Kate Ceberano also plays drums? How do I know? Got it from the woman herself, that's the honest truth! Got introduced to her one time from a singer friend of mine. Actually, we chatted for about a half hour about everything from Spanish music, the Italian language (as where we met was in Leichhardt, the 'Little Italy' of Sydney) and of course the cooking, through to philosophy and so forth, before she mentioned that she loved playing with brushes and singing. An amazing, warm personality....we would have talked a lot longer given half the chance!
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 07-11-2014 at 11:39 AM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Reuben Bradley, Lance Philip, Dylan Elise, Darren Mathiassen, Steve Houghton, Benny Greb. Half those names probably don't mean anything to you but they're some of the top drummers in my country, and pretty much everyone in the music industry here know who they are.
    - Zack