Thread: Two questions

User Info Menu

Default Two questions

1. What is that thing called at the end of a song where everyone is holding the last note and the drummer is working around the set? Does it have a name?

2. Is there a book or video that shows you different ways to do this thing whose name I do not know?

TIA
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Two questions

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySticks View Post
    1. What is that thing called at the end of a song where everyone is holding the last note and the drummer is working around the set? Does it have a name?

2. Is there a book or video that shows you different ways to do this thing whose name I do not know?

TIA

1) As far as I know, it's called a finale.

2) I doubt it.

User Info Menu

its a outro

either a teacher can show you some basics or just pillage from live bands on youtube

User Info Menu

fermata is the answer you're looking for .

User Info Menu

it's called 'everyone hold this note and drummer go crazy' sorry it's not
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Most drummers have their own way of ending a song etc. It is almost like a little end solo. It also gives time for the band to get ready for the next song I think.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stanhandler View Post
    fermata is the answer you're looking for .
    Yes, that's the official musical term. I'm thinking that no one in a rock or jazz band ever calls it that. I would be shocked if they did.
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!

User Info Menu

We had songs that ended like that. The guitar player or keyboard player would go off and I would follow on the drums.

On rare occasions, the "outro" (we never called it that, or finale, or fermata) lasted longer than the actual song.

Now I have to go to another forum and give a opinion on tats. I'm going to get a lot of flak on this one, but, I need some turmoil to brighten my day.

User Info Menu

Us rockers always called it the "Trash can ending." Make sure you don't do that on every song, though
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

On rare occasions, the "outro" (we never called it that, or finale, or fermata) lasted longer than the actual song.
    Ah yes, Sweet memories of Cream and Grand Funk!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySticks View Post

TIA
    1. It's called the end of the song.
    2. you can pretty much do whatever the heck you want. I usually do some nice rapid fire double kick followed by a nice multi tom mega rock fill with a barrage of cymbal crashes then a final bada bomph on the floor toms and kick.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Two questions

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    We had songs that ended like that. The guitar player or keyboard player would go off and I would follow on the drums.

Now I have to go to another forum and give a opinion on tats. I'm going to get a lot of flak on this one, but, I need some turmoil to brighten my day.
    That's it Rick go to another forum and drop off your frustrations and then come back and be the nice guy that you are on DC. I do it once in awhile cause sometimes it is hard to hold back.LOL

User Info Menu

I think the term you're looking for is coda. Outro is is also frequently used. This is definitely not a fermatta. A fermatta is piece of notation that instructs you to hold a note until the director cuts it off. It looks like a little bird's eye on the sheet music. So, the coda may contain a fermata for the other insturments with the drummer acting as the director and cutting it off.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Call it, "De end of da song, with some extra BS thrown in ta make us look good while we are all tryin ta find 1 at tha same time".