Thread: I drum does not mean I know every song .

User Info Menu

Unhappy I drum does not mean I know every song .

Last week was asked if I played drums from a guy on my soft ball team . long story short he was in a band and still jams with his old band mates but no drummer , and i was asked if i would like to come over next time they come to town . I said sounds like fun what do you guys play so we are on the same page I said ok just get me a list so I can take a look at it . the next week I find out now this first jam they want to play at bar so now its a gig oh um ok still dont have a set list but not to worry nothing to bad you shouldnt have a problem . Then I get the set list of 34 songs of witch I have only played 1 witch leaves me 2 1/2 weeks to learn 33 songs .

Johnny B. Goode

Doctor Doctor

Some Kind of Wonderful

Talk Dirty To Me

I Want You to Want Me

Cocaine

I Saw Her Standing There (Beatles)

Under The Boardwalk

Wonderful Tonight

Last Kiss

Pretty Woman

My Best Friend's Girl

Hippy Hippy Shake

Brown Eyed Girl

Mustang Sally

She F###ing Hates Me

You May Be Right

Sweet Home Alabama

Gimme 3 Steps

Melt With You

Summer of 69

Shook Me All Night Long

Hanky Panky

Good Lovin

Tube Snake Boogie

Keep Your Hands To Yourself

Little Sister

Blue Suede Shoes

Jailhouse Rock

Crocodile Rock

Proud Mary

Bad Moon Rising

500 Miles

Every Rose Has It's Thorn

Yea I can play the core beats in these songs however , I worry that it will be just that with the time I got and will sound boring . I dont want to bail on him but I dont want to hold the rest of the band back .
    workout and make noise play the drums.

User Info Menu

Default Re: I drum does not mean I know every song .

I'll do the gig.....

Where is it?

How Much?

What time?
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

LOL . sounds like its play for drinks kind of thing .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stump knocker View Post
    LOL . sounds like its play for drinks kind of thing .
    Forget about it!

lol
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

You are not gonna be holding the rest of the band back. Just go out there do your thing, and fill every 16 or 32 bars. They will let you know if there's a part with no drums :D
    Those songs are mostly straight ahead rock songs. I would say just tell them to start playing, and then fall in as the song gets started. A jam session at a bar is not opening for the stones at Madison Square Gardens. Just go have fun.
    Last edited by Kazaamski; 07-11-2012 at 12:25 AM.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    You are not gonna be holding the rest of the band back. Just go out there do your thing, and fill every 16 or 32 bars. They will let you know if there's a part with no drums :D
    Those songs are mostly straight ahead rock songs. I would say just tell them to start playing, and then fall in as the song gets started. A jam session at a bar is not opening for the stones at Madison Square Gardens. Just go have fun.
    +1
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

you can do it

User Info Menu

as I see it about 14-15 of those songs are old school....hey I resemble that remark! and listen to them about 2-3 times each and Wa-La..no problem, easy peasy lemon squeezy! good luck and just have a ball.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Just shoot from the hip.
    Ready, fire, aim.

User Info Menu

Looks like stock 4/4 rock drumming. Just make sure the snare hits on the 2's and 4's, simple fill going into the choruses and you should be OK.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

A lot of the songs on your list is written in my DNA because I'm an old man and I've played them a hundred times but that doesn't help you much since you're the one on the hook. My suggestion is to grab a pair of headphones and jam to as many songs as possible. Since you don't have much time, I would group the songs together that have the same tempo, groove or feel and practice those together until you hear what's common among them, then move on to the next grouping. I've added a line below each example group which discribes to me what's most noteable about each style.

Example #1- The Elvis Group

common groove on the backbeat

Johnny B. Goode
    Jailhouse Rock
    Blue Suede Shoes

Example #2- The Creedence Group
    fills in between verse lines, ride wash a crash

Proud Mary
    Bad Moon Rising

Example #3- '60's Billboard Top 40
    lots of dynamic changes between verse and chorus

Mustang Sally
    Pretty Woman (Roy Orbison)
    Li'l Sister

Example #4- Southern Rock
    lots of flams accents between snare and crash

Sweet Home Alabama
    Gimme 3 Steps

In my opinion, the 10 songs in the example groups have a common groove or style with each other. Try to mimic the key drum phrasing that stand out with each group and thread that 'feel' throughout each song. It doesn't have to be note for note, just work on the 'feel' and the rest of it will fall into place.

Good luck, relax and have fun. Remember you have one HUGE advantage over these guys, you're the drummer they lack, making you in my opinion, 'the cute blonde on the beach' and you can pretty much call the 'shots'. Play with confidence and don't make any weird faces if you screw-up. The bar patrons will never know the difference anyway.

User Info Menu

Big thanks for the help . The puls side is I Know all these songs and have them on cd's and I have the LP's for some . I just have never palyed any of them not sure why . It's funny to think back in '08 one of my first post was somthing to do with being new to drumming and my first kit , and now I put up a post about a gigg just a bit off topic but random tought . I will have to let everyone know how it goes . But agin thanks .

User Info Menu

With songs like that I'd actually be more concerned with the arrangements than the drum parts. Have to know when the starts and stops are, and when it gets louder or quieter. I'd suggest just listening to them all in a playlist OVER and OVER again.

User Info Menu

Big thanks for the help . The puls side is I Know all these songs and have them on cd's and I have the LP's for some . I just have never palyed any of them not sure why . It's funny to think back in '08 one of my first post was somthing to do with being new to drumming and my first kit , and now I put up a post about a gigg just a bit off topic but random tought . I will have to let everyone know how it goes . But agin thanks .
    You're progressing fast in a short amount of time. By your response, you'll be just fine. It's good to know you've heard all of these tunes before; that's half the battle. Keep this thread alive and comeback and let us know how it went....because we care!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: I drum does not mean I know every song .

Don't sweat it. Aviator's suggestion is excellent (and I've done that with hand drums), but realize that not every band will play every song exactly as it's recorded...you get the basics down and soon you'll learn that "I drum does not mean I know every song--BUT I learn fast!"

Keep us posted, stump knocker! BTW, I love that tag line...true, true, true!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

What they all said..

having never played drums in front of anyone .. ok never in front of an audience my thought on what I might do in this kind of a situation is pretty much what everyone here has said with one addition .. I might make myself a set of notes .. IE .. "song name basick 4/4 stop in the middle of the third vs 4th vs on the ride" .. just listening to the songs close enough to make the notes is what Im actually aiming for.. i might never look at them again but making them helps to lock it into my mind.
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

User Info Menu

Almost every tune on that list (with a few exceptions) is simple blues pattern. Eight and twelve bar. Should be able to play those with one hand tied behind back. mostly just listen to the singing for dynamics and stops etc...

all the best...

User Info Menu

most of those songs have a hook and there dam simple stuff ..(quarter notes on the kick during hipy hipy shake) ...how easy

User Info Menu

Last week was asked if I played drums from a guy on my soft ball team . long story short he was in a band and still jams with his old band mates but no drummer , and i was asked if i would like to come over next time they come to town . I said sounds like fun what do you guys play so we are on the same page I said ok just get me a list so I can take a look at it . the next week I find out now this first jam they want to play at bar so now its a gig oh um ok still dont have a set list but not to worry nothing to bad you shouldnt have a problem . Then I get the set list of 34 songs of witch I have only played 1 witch leaves me 2 1/2 weeks to learn 33 songs .

Johnny B. Goode

Doctor Doctor

Some Kind of Wonderful

Talk Dirty To Me

I Want You to Want Me

Cocaine

I Saw Her Standing There (Beatles)

Under The Boardwalk

Wonderful Tonight

Last Kiss

Pretty Woman

My Best Friend's Girl

Hippy Hippy Shake

Brown Eyed Girl

Mustang Sally

She F###ing Hates Me

You May Be Right

Sweet Home Alabama

Gimme 3 Steps

Melt With You

Summer of 69

Shook Me All Night Long

Hanky Panky

Good Lovin

Tube Snake Boogie

Keep Your Hands To Yourself

Little Sister

Blue Suede Shoes

Jailhouse Rock

Crocodile Rock

Proud Mary

Bad Moon Rising

500 Miles

Every Rose Has It's Thorn

Yea I can play the core beats in these songs however , I worry that it will be just that with the time I got and will sound boring . I dont want to bail on him but I dont want to hold the rest of the band back .
    34 songs in 2 weeks thats a problem? Sorry ive gotten to the point where i can hear a song once and know how to play it so maybe Im just a little out of touch on reality with this one. But shoot this doesnt sound to hard for me. I can be put in positon where i have 12hrs to learn 3/4 of the songs listed. just play the songs the best you can. Dedicate all your practice time to learning these songs. listen to them in the car think of what you would do to play these songs.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

My cheatsheet notes:guitar starts, drums start, all in, stops after chorus, keep yer head up, standard blues ending, stuff like that, and just listen to the songs as often as you can, as mentioned above...

User Info Menu

I'd be more worried about seeing Blue Suede Shoes and Melt With You on the same set list.

thorn
    PDP CM7 | Paiste | Evans | Vater

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by groovearteest View Post
    34 songs in 2 weeks thats a problem? Sorry ive gotten to the point where i can hear a song once and know how to play it so maybe Im just a little out of touch on reality with this one.
    for the age of experience of the OP (newb in 08) I'd say he's doing well, so 34 songs to me after about 4 years of drumming is quite a bit to learn in 2 weeks.

If I were you I'd put them onto MP3 in the order they want to play them in, and just listen to that for the next 2 weeks on repeat.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzkat View Post
    +1
    +2

A few have pretty good drum parts. Basic and straightforward. Should be fun. I Want You to Want Me has always been one of my favs to rock to. Bun E Carlos is the man! Before doing the gig though, I'd probably like a quick jam session with them first to check out the band's chemistry.
    Last edited by cblakey1; 07-19-2012 at 07:08 AM.