Thread: Purchase drum skin for gourd drum?

User Info Menu

Default Purchase drum skin for gourd drum?

My brother is big into tribal drumming and already has several drums, but I'm making him a gourd drum for his birthday with my young son & daughter's hand prints on it and I've got everything ready except the skin...anyone know where I can buy a drum skin for a gourd drum?? I've read that goat hide works well for the skin and cording to attach it...

Thanks!!!

User Info Menu

Wow, Flashpipe! How cool would a gourd drum be!! Welcome to the DrumChat. I can see that you will add a whole new dimension to the chat!

Wish I could help you with this, but you're out of my league on this one. I'm sure that you will get others that will have some useful tips, especially our hand percussionists.

I wish you well on this one, especially since it's a birthday gift for your brother!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

How many inches is it in Diameter?

User Info Menu

The opening of the gourd is about 7 inches across.

Thanks!!
    babies - elizaBlog || wife - verymerryseamstress || personal - brianwpiper

User Info Menu

Cool Purchase drum skin for gourd drum?

Welcome aboard, flashpipe! Don't know where you're located, but you might check with a store that handles Native American items (including skins); they might be able to find you the skin you need.

By the way, one of my brother hand drummers, 1DrumBum, may be able to help you on findin' the skins; he's put together a few hand drums in his days.

1DB, I turn her over to you...by the way, flashpipe, let us know how it turns out...

Sounds cool!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Hey flashpipe, Welcome!

If you need skins, here is the place to go:

http://www.africanrhythmtraders.com/

This shop is not far from my home and I am in there quite often. They are good people and will treat you right.

You are correct in thinking goat skin is the best. You may also experiment with calf skin. It produces a little deeper sound, but does'nt resonate enough for my liking ( I love the djemebe and ashiko boomin! ).
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Excellent! Thanks!!! I ordered my skin, and I'll post up some pics of the final product!!

Great resources there!!
    babies - elizaBlog || wife - verymerryseamstress || personal - brianwpiper