Thread: Help...buying a kit need advise.

User Info Menu

Exclamation Help...buying a kit need advise.

I'm picking up my sticks after about 20yrs. and never had formal training....I live in a townhome and noise is a concern. Looking into the Roland V-Pro TD-20 kit. BUT @ close to 7k out the door I could buy a monster kit with that kinda cash. So I would like some input. money is here for this now and I can definetly grow with this kit...but will I be limited...and what about feel...mesh heads are a plus.

User Info Menu

Mesh heads are the greatest thing that ever happened to electronic drum kits. I have my Roland and my acoustic built together in the same rack and the feel of going back and forth from the acoustic heads to the mesh heads is barely noticable. You can tighten and loosen the mesh heads to feel like a real kit. Your only limitation with the Roland is the # of pads you can put on it. If your using it to gig, it can be a pain switching programs back and forth between songs (even worse during). Also, if you add more cymbal pads (any of the PD series), they have to be on boom arms. If you use the regular pad mounts (the ones the "toms" are mounted with), the vibration of riding the hi-hat hard will make them trigger by themselves. No good during a show!!! It took me a while to figure out how to get them to stop doing it. I ended up having to completely rebuild my rack to isolate those pads.

All in all, the TD-20 is the cream of the crop. Go for it!!! You'll fall in love with the versitality and once you get the little quirks worked out, you'll never stop beating on them!

Good luck!!!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Default Suggestion:

Did you check on e-bay?

User Info Menu

Check on E-bay for what?
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Yes I have looked on E-bay for $$$ savings. But they want close to the new price for used. And the new dont get much better as far as price goes. I'm also a bit leary about "used" Electronic at that kinda Dough! No warranty! My brother has an old roland kit with the pads..and I think the TD-6 module.
    I was like and electronic Crack pipe. Once I started I was on for about 3 hours and could have swore it was 30 min. Thanks for your replies....and advice about picking a teacher?

User Info Menu

.....one that teaches....

User Info Menu

Default So Profound

I'm enlightened

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TJMURF98
    ...and advice about picking a teacher?
    To rip off a quote from Jack Black - Those who can, drum, and those who can't, teach drums.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Special K
    To rip off a quote from Jack Black - Those who can, drum, and those who can't, teach drums.
    A tired old saying that stems from the very fact that there are a handful of drummers out there that teach drums, but don't play very well. The rest of us, tired of starving to death, teach to supplement our income (while we work our asses off chasing an elusive dream).

User Info Menu

....Amen...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer
    A tired old saying that stems from the very fact that there are a handful of drummers out there that teach drums, but don't play very well. The rest of us, tired of starving to death, teach to supplement our income (while we work our asses off chasing an elusive dream).
    Just kidding.

Thought I'd stir it up a bit. LOL
    two beats = tempo, three beats = some iPhone app

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer
    Doesnt really suprise me actually. If you love it but cant do it. Teach it. You understand how it works and if you can explain it to someone who can do it. Mission complete.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters