Thread: Need help recording drums!

User Info Menu

Default Need help recording drums!

Hello, I'm fairly new to these forums, and I have a new Tama 7 piece Silverstar kit. I also have some Audix tom and snare mics, as well as a kick mic, 2 condensor mics for overheads and stands/cables/mounts. I currently own a Behringer mixer with 5 XLR inputs and have an old Windows XP PC with a crappy Creative Sound Blaster sound card that only has 1/8" jack inputs. I really want to record my drums to my PC for mixing and editing, but I have NO idea where to start. I downloaded Audacity, and I've used that a bit to record/mix. I'm fairly sure I need a different mixer, and most likely a sound card, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

As of right now I have the snare and all the toms individually mic'ed and I've been tweaking the knobs on the mixer and I can only get a decent sound out of 2 drums, no matter what I do.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need help recording drums!

first thing i would suggest to do is not use that mixer and get a audio interface ..then read some books

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    first thing i would suggest to do is not use that mixer and get a audio interface ..then read some books
    Mhm. My local music store offers audio tech classes, I would suggest looking around to see if any are available to you.
    Dw | Zildjian | Pro-Mark | Evans

User Info Menu

there's nothing you cant learn from reading and the internet ...

User Info Menu

what model mixer is it? What are your settings? Post some audio so we can hear what you are doing.

I would even start with a 3mic set up 2 overheads and kick. Then gradually add the other mics if desired. With Toms you typically take out the mids from 400-600hz. Lower hz will increase the lowend, and the higher hz will give you more attack and definition

Always "Cut" (take away or lower) first before "Boosting" (add or increase)
    Mapex Saturn Red Sparkle 10, 12, 14, 22
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Snare 14 x 6,

Mapex Armory Photon Blue 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    Tomahawk 14x5.5 Snare

Meinl 20" Dark Raw Bell Ride, 20" Traditional Extra Thin Hand Hammered Crash, 18" Sand Thin Crash, 14" Byzance Dark Hats

Samsun 22" Design series Ride, 13" Design Series Hats, 16" FX Loop Effects Crash + 12" Raw Earth Splash (stacker)

Tama Speed Cobra (single pedal), Tama Iron Cobra (double pedal)

User Info Menu

seems to me you have to much going on.
    put a mic between your snare and hats and one on the bass.
    mic'n every drum is best left for a sound guy from Berklee

User Info Menu

I think you'll be okay as soon as you trade in that mixer for an audio interface. Also i'd change the operating system on your computer to something more current, for better driver support - like windows 7. You might want an interface with more xlr ins, unless you're not planning to do anything crazier than snare kick and 2 overheads. The audio interface can be used as a soundcard(I do it with mine) if you set it up correctly, so it's optional to go out and get a new soundcard. If you decide to though, you need to ask yourself what type you want. There are internal and external types - for external you just need the right output on your computer case, most of the time it'll use usb. If you want to go internal, then you need to find out what kind of expansion slots are on your motherboard(pci, pcix1, pcix4, etc) and then shop accordingly. Asus Xonar is my personal fav, generally they have less driver problems than Creative and aren't as costly.
    Last edited by Russ; 07-21-2012 at 09:19 PM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

One mic in your kick and then your 2 overheads and thats it. Then use your stereo out on your board to the line in on your computer. Unless youre recording a cd for release by Warner thats all you need.

User Info Menu

Ok, tonight I put my Audix f15's up in the recorderman technique, one over the top of the snare on the drummer's left, and one aimed at the center of the snare over the drummer's right shoulder. I measured the distance between the mics and they were equidistant to the snare center, so no phase issues.

I plan to add a kick and bottom of snare mic, but I am AMAZED how good these drums sound just using 2 mics!!! Here are links to download the song I recorded with and without the drum track isolated. This was a quick, one take deal, so please criticize the micing/mix, not the drumming!

Aerials
    http://www2.zshare.ma/wkrjk1d811uq

Aerials drum track only
    http://www2.zshare.ma/xhdgn25qfp11