Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: That's It, I can't take it anymore

User Info Menu

Angry That's It, I can't take it anymore

I have a few things that are getting to me about other drummers, and the dislike of Mahogany wood drums.

btw, Hi, I've been gone for a while !!!

Anyway, around 80% of drummers on numerous forums (all paling in comparison to this almighty overlord of forums) all say, Mahogany is a cheap wood used on cheap drums and furniture...

Well no, It's not...

Mahogany standards depend on the source of the Mahogany, and in my opinion, a well sourced, reputable Mahogany wood is a fantastic sounding material for drums.

I don't know if many other people have strong views on this matter, but IF anyone would like to comment on Mahogany drums in general, please feel free to do so here.

also, keep in mind that although 80% of drummers on forums say Mahogany is a cheap wood, always remember that 68.75% of statistics are just made up.
    I Shall Never be caught, you will never obtain my Weapons of Mass Percussion, MWA HA HA HA HA!!

User Info Menu

I don't care for wood types in lower end drums, which always seem to come in Mahogany, if it makes a good sound for what it is, then it's worth it. Lo and behold, Mahogany does make a good sound, thus it's good.

ETF on drums. He knows nowt xD
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rjf1986 View Post
    keep in mind that although 80% of drummers on forums say Mahogany is a cheap wood, always remember that 68.75% of statistics are just made up.
    LOL!! I love that! Good to have you back among us RJF!

I think that some people's opinion of mahagony wood is shaped by the fact that in lower end drums they use a cheaper grade of mahagony known as luan wood. There are certainly higher grades of mahagony that go into higher end kits, giving them a beautiful deep toned sound. Believe me, I'd really like to hear a good mahagony kit. I'm sure I'd fall in love with the sound!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

pb is right. It depends on the wood. Mahogany can be really expensive.

Mahogony produces a sound that accentuates the lower tones of the drums (a deeper sound). And can be a very sturdy wood.

User Info Menu

my house smells of rich mahogany- ron burgundy

and it depends on what kind of mahogany

User Info Menu

LOL! I have to say that I believe African Burbinga wood is a mahagony wood, and I would love to see the grain of that wood on my drums!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Cool That's it, I can't take it anymore!

rtf--welcome back, bro'! Missed ya around the jam session...

To me, mahogany was always an expensive wood--and the finest mahogany comes from Africa--but like anything else, you're gonna find cheapo shells as well as the real stuff...

Mahogany has traditionally been used in furniture, but I suspect to a serious drummer who can afford it, a mahogany drum kit would be major furniture in the music room!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

thanks all for restoring my confidence in the world of Mahogany Drums!!! it's nice to get a few people backing you up when you're frustrated.

LOVE YOU GUYS AND GIRLS!!!
    I Shall Never be caught, you will never obtain my Weapons of Mass Percussion, MWA HA HA HA HA!!

User Info Menu

So, RJF, which DW custom kit are you drooling over? It's seems like we all have one.

User Info Menu

Im looking at a kit of mahogany drums.

User Info Menu

Mohagony is 110% valid in my books.

Not that i have played one (That i have been told) But the scale's of tones from the wood make me go

I will try one one day..... Just to see... Doesnt seem right to me to have more treble than bass in a drum though :S
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Vinny, what manufacturer are you considering?

I'm also wondering what our more experienced drummers think about how the sound of mahagony fits into various styles of music. I was thinking that mahagony would probably be awesome for a good rock sound, but might not be so good in a Latin, or Jazz style. Just wondering.

User Info Menu

The truth is that if you put two anonymous brand drum sets side by side with one being maple and one being mohogany, you probably would not be able to tell the difference in sound unless you are a professional. Of course tuning and heads go along way in this department. If Mohagany turns you on, then go for it! All of us are very individual and have our own preferences. For example, I absolutely love the sound I can get off a lower priced Zildjian ZHT 20" ride cymbal. Probably a lot of people would say it is crap, but it suits me just fine.

User Info Menu

Mahogany wood is good and expensive, even the "low grade". A lot of people would make a sweeping statement that mahogany is not good and that's because they are looking at piece of woodwork that's made of other type of wood or veneered with exotic wood. Lauan is usually passed as mahogany but it is not and it is an entirely different species of tree.

User Info Menu

Yes, DS, I suppose it's true that Luan wood is not technically mahagony. It is, however, referred to as "Philippine Mahagony," so that was my reference.

Good call!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Vinny, what manufacturer are you considering?

I'm also wondering what our more experienced drummers think about how the sound of mahagony fits into various styles of music. I was thinking that mahagony would probably be awesome for a good rock sound, but might not be so good in a Latin, or Jazz style. Just wondering.

Im considering a Premier "Bebop kit" Its a 4piece with slightly smaller shell sizes than normal. Im getting a 4piece for ergomnomical reasons. Its much easyer to reach everything much more comfortabley. Also my second rack tom on my current kit has become more and more ignored anyway.

User Info Menu

Sounds pretty cool, Vinny! Also easier to set up whenever it would have to be moved! I popped over to the Premier website and I realized that "Bebop kit" referred to the sizes and configuration. What series are you thinking about, and what color would you go with. Just curious.

User Info Menu

http://www.premier-percussion.com/ca...on=description

This would be the model. I dont know about what finish because they dont have a full list of finishes. Ive emailed the shop im buying from about what finishes they have.

Oh and Drummer, i hope i havnt broken any rules regarding no "corporate links". If so, just delete the link.

User Info Menu

Vinny, just so that you are fully informed, that set is made of "Philippine Mahagony." I checked on what Drumslave said, and he is absolutely right. "Philippine Mahagony," it would appear, is not mahagony at all. So, if you like the drums, and the sound, that's cool. But if you are expecting that you are actually buying a mahagony set, with a good mahagony sound, then I'm sure you'll be disappointed.

oh, and that corporate link thing, I'm afraid I may have transgressed that one myself. My apologies to Drummer. I forgot!!

User Info Menu

Yeah. Well. I cant afford much better.

User Info Menu

Understood. Hey, I've heard it over and over that a decent kit with superior heads can still be a solid sounding kit, so don't sweat it. We're all getting the best kits we can afford.

BTW, at you age, there was no way I could even have thought about buying a kit of any kind. I'm now, what, about 30 years behind you! You've got a long life ahead, my friend. Enjoy the ride!

User Info Menu

I intend to. And im sure you have pleenty of mileage left too.

User Info Menu

I'm not familiar with the sound of mahagony drums, but I had a Guild guitar with mahagony back and sides, and it had a beautiful deep rich tone. It is one of the few instruments that I've traded in and wish I had kept. I always try to choose my instruments based on how they sound, how they look and what they're made out of has always been a secondary concern to me. If you like Mahagony then get it and who cares what other people think.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnysimmo View Post
    I intend to. And im sure you have pleenty of mileage left too.
    Thanks, and yes, I always say that I'm planning to live to be 150, so I won't hit middle age until 75!! LOL So far, so good!!

User Info Menu

lol you go pastor!

Hippest hispanic in the west......

(OK i dunno where that came from. Just feeling the moment :P)
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters