User Info Menu

Default Pearl Vison Birch vs. Yamaha Stage Custom

Pearl Vison Birch vs. Yamaha Stage Custom

Both kits have the same pices... and too similar price

Which one is the best?

Damnedwolf is unscarred, rock and roll is not dead

User Info Menu

Default Re: Pearl Vison Birch vs. Yamaha Stage Custom

I looked at this dilemma too and decided that a used Gretsch Catalina will go for the same if not less. However though, if you are set on a new drum set, ( less possibility of Warps that way.) I would go with Pearl vision Birch.

User Info Menu

They are both great kits but because I am a Pearl fan I would go for the Visions. Something to think about and good luck on what you decide.

User Info Menu

I'd go with the Yamaha. Y.E.S.S. mounting system is superior in my opinion. Also not a fan of Pearl at all.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

I would vote for the Yamaha. Has twice the finish options of the Pearl kit. I also like Yamaha's hardware better.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

I got one of my students a great deal on a Stage Custom, second hand. Been doing a lil' cleaning up here and there on it and tuned it today. Sounds and looks great, I'd certainly recommend them. Certainly can't fault the hardware either, solid, functional and well made.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpatzST View Post
    I'd go with the Yamaha. Y.E.S.S. mounting system is superior in my opinion. Also not a fan of Pearl at all.
    Agree... earlier this year I bought a Pearl Vision kit to be used for gigging... the ISS mounts choked the toms... bad... returned it.
    Gretsch Renown RN1 ~ Silver Oyster Pearl

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kickinit View Post
    Agree... earlier this year I bought a Pearl Vision kit to be used for gigging... the ISS mounts choked the toms... bad... returned it.
    You could of fix that quickly with the Optimount system from Pearl.

User Info Menu

Even if you can fix the Pearl by getting replacement hardware (at an additional cost), it's no longer quite the deal if you compare it to the stock Yamaha kit that already comes with good hardware.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

Yamaha!

User Info Menu

I'm a little biased.....so you know what kit I'd pick...I'm not a fan of Pearl drums...I don't like how they construct their shells (i.e., scarf joint) and I'm no fan of their tom arms or their mounting system...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post
    I'm a little biased.....so you know what kit I'd pick...I'm not a fan of Pearl drums...I don't like how they construct their shells (i.e., scarf joint) and I'm no fan of their tom arms or their mounting system...
    I guess you own a Yamaha kit.LOL

User Info Menu

If I had it to do it all over again,I'd go with the Yamaha Kit I bought.How ever I don't like the snare that comes with it so I have a Pearl Maple 6.5x14 snare as my main snare.
    The thing with the Yamaha kit,if you want to expand your kit,it's not very expensive. You see how big my kit is,that was around $1500 for the add ons and I have a monster kit.
    I don't see how you would go wrong with either kit if you want don't plan to expand any.Not sure what Pearl offers or price but mine came as 10 12Mtom 16 Ftom 14 snare 22 bass. I added 8 13 Mtom 14 18 FTom but you can get a 24" BD and 14 mounted tom as an add on to the Yamaha kit so expansion is easy and cheap.Overall,I like the sound of my kit and I have had many compliments when I let a friend use it.Their guitar player said a few times the Yamahas sounded better then a set of pdps (birch shells) their drummer normally uses.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I guess you own a Yamaha kit.LOL
    Just a few...

User Info Menu

Scorch, what is about Yamaha that you like? I'm sure it's the sound but can you go into a little more detail about that? What do you think of the hardware?
    Rocka Rolla Woman

Mapex Black Raven
    14" Zildjian New Beat Hi Hats
    Zildjian 16" Fast Crash
    17" Zildjian A Custom Crash
    21" Zildjian A Sweet Ride

User Info Menu

I prefer Tama and Gretsch but if given the choice of Pearl and Yamaha I would agree with the majority...Yamaha. The hardware that comes with the Stage Custom is a better quality and is better engineered than what pearl comes with. Yes, you can change the Pearl hardware but then you incur extra expenses.

Typically Yamaha is usually more expensive than Pearl (or other kits of the same or better quality, I have no idea why) but you get a little more so if both kits are the same price then you are getting a good deal.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, 99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, 93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Its all down to choice and personal preference...you can ask a million people, theyll all have their opinions but at the end of the day its what you prefer...Loads of Pro drummers use both makes but at the level your talking about its gotta be what you prefer....Personally ive tried both, ive played Pearl Exports, ELX and also Yamaha Stage Customs before i progressed to a Maple Pearl Masters kit which i gigged for 4 yrs 5 nights every week. this was the most fantastic kit ever both in terms of build/looks quality and sound...As for the lower level kits, i personally hated the Yamaha from the day i bought it, the laquer was nowhere as good finish as the Pearl ELX, the Pearl Hardware, all double braced was far superior to the Yamaha and as for the Yamaha ball type tom arms adjustments??/ To me they were flimsy and i hated them....Pearl was far superior, heavier duty, great chrome and built to last...BUT ALL THIS is just MY opinion and nothing more...lots out there will have different views and opinions and also will have different experiences so at the end of the day......theyre both damn fine drum makers but its all down to what you prefer looks wise, finish wise and what you personally prefer...I wish you well mate...Consider everything wisely and dont make a hasty decision....

User Info Menu

I have a great dilema with many drums, i played the yamaha amd i like it so much but i love many of maple drums! I looked for Mapex Meridian, Gretsch Catalina, Pearl Vision, Yamaha Stage Custom, Ludwig Epic, Sonor Essential... People tell me that Birch is much better than maple for rock, hard-rock... But all of drumers play maple, and i like maple very much... Anybody played one of this drums and can recommend it much than others?!

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ignaziarzis View Post
    I have a great dilema with many drums, i played the yamaha amd i like it so much but i love many of maple drums! I looked for Mapex Meridian, Gretsch Catalina, Pearl Vision, Yamaha Stage Custom, Ludwig Epic, Sonor Essential... People tell me that Birch is much better than maple for rock, hard-rock... But all of drumers play maple, and i like maple very much... Anybody played one of this drums and can recommend it much than others?!

Thanks!
    Maple is nice. I wouldn't say Birch is better for Maple for rock,hard rock. I know someone with a Maple kit and really can't tell the difference between to 2 in a gig setting.
    I just prefer a Birch kit but I do use a Pearl Masters Maple snare that sounds awesome and cuts through just as any Birch snare would if not better.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

I have a maple kit and all I play is rock/metal. It works just fine, trust me.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Pearl Vison Birch vs. Yamaha Stage Custom

I agree with digital my maple works good for rock and metal as well. Birch to me and of what I have read are great for playing latin music. With Maple you play just about any genre of music rock, jazz, latin, funk etc just by tuning the heads tighter or loser. Again going by what I have read and heard

User Info Menu

Finally i think that i go for maple... probably a Gretsch Catalina Maple...

Thanks everybody! lml

User Info Menu

The Yamaha would also give you the option of getting 20" kick drum, albeit with a 14" floor tom, if you prefer that sort of thing. Probably worth checking out Gretsch cat birch, Tama silverstars, Mapex meridian birch, and pdp concept birch if you're looking at mid level birch kits. One of those is bound to speak to you.
    Mmm... Saturns.