Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anything other than Moongel?

User Info Menu

Default Anything other than Moongel?

There are times, when micing my kit up close, I like to use Moongel to control some of the overtones. The one drawback is that it sometimes, not always, leaves a blue stain on my coated heads. Is there a product out there that works similar to moongel, but maybe in a different color, or that doesn't leave the tell-tale blue mark?

Thanks...

---------------
    Advertisement

Moon Gel for Drums

User Info Menu

Default Re: Anything other than Moongel?

There are a few alternatives out there - I seem to recall a sticky hand shaped product made out of a gel like moongel which comes in lots of colours.

Also, there is the Evans Min-EMAD:

This is a variable dampending product. The further it is placed from the edge of the drum the more dampening it will provide.

However, the little sticky disc with the velcro backing stays in place so this will have a permanent damepening effect ongoing, albeit minimal, that may cause some users concern.

I think the theory is that by linking the dempening product to the rim it limits certain frequencies by providing a form of resistence agaisnt the heads ability to vibrate.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

i think there is a similar product called drum gum... but it's pinkish in color. i've only seen it never used it. looked the same as moon gel just different in color. maybe if it did leave a stain it'd be harder to notice it because of the lighter color?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by truckerdrummer View Post
    i think there is a similar product called drum gum...
    They don't make it anymore.

User Info Menu

really? where have i been? haha

User Info Menu

One thing that immediately comes to my mind... maybe use a small piece of white gaff tape, then put the moongel on top of that...

I don't know if that would work but I would at least give it a try if you have the tape available.

Please report back with a solution if you find one.

Gretsch Renown RN1 ~ Silver Oyster Pearl

User Info Menu

Blu-Tac? I know one guy around my area does at least.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Blue stain on your heads? Sounds like the end of the world!!!!! For real? Does playing your drums leave marks on your head?

User Info Menu

The rings, from Evans or Remo work real well for controlling overtones.

User Info Menu

Put the blue gel in the wash with your whites (don't forget to add bleach).

User Info Menu

The moon is more white anyway so they misnamed the product. LOL They should have called it earth gel.

User Info Menu

The moon is more white anyway so they misnamed the product. LOL They should have called it earth gel.
    Put the blue gel in the wash with your whites (don't forget to add bleach).
    Blue stain on your heads? Sounds like the end of the world!!!!! For real? Does playing your drums leave marks on your head?
    Oh Lord.....I should've know better....

User Info Menu

Ha-ha! Sorry bud, you left the door wide open!

We love ya drum brother!

User Info Menu

yeah, i really dont think that a small blue stain on your head is such a bad thing. tape will leave residue too. honest bud its not that bad that you cant deal with it . if it bothers you that bad,get a white marker and color over the stain.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

You might also try that "hands" one. You can get them at some novelty stores or sometimes in a gumball-like machine in a restaurant that caters to kids.

User Info Menu

Better than that just change your heads to EC2's they are like G2's with moongel.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    You might also try that "hands" one. You can get them at some novelty stores or sometimes in a gumball-like machine in a restaurant that caters to kids.
    I believed at one time that I was a genius I would go to a Mexican restaurant and get those little stick-handz things, and i'd cut them up and put them on my drums. I was bragging about this to another drummer friend, and then he introduced me to moon-gel..

Either way, I haven't used moongel since I've switched to EC2's. But when I had them on my old heads, all I would have to do is wipe it down with a wet towl, and that usually got rid of the residue. I had to use groove juice to get that off of one my cymbals though
    Dw | Zildjian | Pro-Mark | Evans

User Info Menu

Try a small piece of Remo Practice Putty. It didn't leave any colored resdue on my granite counter top when I tried it. No gel like feel when the putty is rolled out and when I peeled it off of the counter, I noticed some adhesive qualities which may help it adhere to a drum head if cut into small cubed pieces like moongel. No first hand knowledge if this will work. I can't think of any other product besides this and moongel that are applicable to your question.

User Info Menu

a wallet works great on any drum you dislike

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Anything other than Moongel?

Quote Originally Posted by kyle102565 View Post
    It's probably empty so put money in it and it will sound like a million bucks.LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kyle102565 View Post
    does that mean he should buy new drums?? lol

User Info Menu

Have you tried silly putty?

User Info Menu

I used MoonGel for a couple of years...but it's a pain when your are setting up and tearing down night after night.

I've finally gone back to a small piece of Gorilla Tape (hi strength duct tape) as needed. I don't have to worry about it, and it never needs cleaning.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eddiev View Post
    i used moongel for a couple of years...but it's a pain when your are setting up and tearing down night after night.

I've finally gone back to a small piece of gorilla tape (hi strength duct tape) as needed. I don't have to worry about it, and it never needs cleaning.
    x2

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    I used MoonGel for a couple of years...but it's a pain when your are setting up and tearing down night after night.

I've finally gone back to a small piece of Gorilla Tape (hi strength duct tape) as needed. I don't have to worry about it, and it never needs cleaning.
    Thanks Eddie. I'm switching to this tape and ditching moongel. Due to old age, I'm forgetting to take the moongel pieces off of my toms after gigs and during teardown, I'm finding them on the bottom of my shoes like a piece of worn out chewing gum. This roll should last me until I drop.