Thread: Shopping for new snare! Advice pleaseee

User Info Menu

Default Shopping for new snare! Advice pleaseee

So i wanna make my budget around 250 or so. Im a first time buyer of any sort of drum equipment but i do understand what is quality and what isn't if you know what i mean? But i plan on going to a guitar center sometime soon and want to demo some snares if thats possible? I play rock and classic rock and such. I love bonham so a snare like his would be sweet. At the moment i have a 5 pc. pearl ex with a DW snare(not sure which line of snare exactly.)

Also what heads would you all recommend snare aswell as toms. Ive heard evans ec2's are popular but again i've never invested in anything outside of the complete drumset itself.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Shopping for new snare! Advice pleaseee

Get the green one!

User Info Menu

TK, there are a lot of good snares in your budget range. Just to clarify what you are looking for, are you wanting a metal snare, or a wood snare? Check out the Tama SLP snare series, and definitely consider looking a used snares. Most of my snares are used, and it allows me to use my limited budget to get a better snare than I could normally afford new.

Oh. and yes, get the green one. LOL
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

The stores around here will let you try them all till you make up your mind. I got a snare I like for 200 not long ago. I played the same 2 over and over again. Finally I picked 1. Try all of them that are in your budget.

User Info Menu

I would imagine, but don't know the US market, that the Mapex Black Panters would be in your range too. The Tama SLP's, as already suggested, would also be worth a look.

As far as heads go, this is a very personal thing. Up until very recently, I've always used clear heads on my toms - normally G2's but I've also tried, and disliked, the EC2's. This is not to say these are bad (they are very good) but they were not to my taste on MY kit. I now use coated G2's on my toms and love that they seem to provide a lower fundemental note compared to the clear versions.

As far as snare goes, if you are playing rock, I'd learn towards durability. I currently use the HD dry on my snare (Black Panther Black Widow) but you may like a reverse power dot head for added strength.

Heads, while relatively cheap in musical instrument terms, can be the most costly item long term as there will always be a need to experiment to get your sound. I was fortunate; I've got the tom sound I want after trying three different heads previously. My journey is far from over but others fail to find there sound having tried lots more heads.

Finally, get to learn how to tune. This is truly an art and can make the different between a great sounding drum and a drum you end up avoid using. I have botton end Mapex V series and I get a decent sound from them but that has taken lots of effort and time.

Hope this helps.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Shopping for new snare! Advice pleaseee

I have EC2's on all my toms and EC frosted reverse dot on my snare and they sound great. 's I used G2's with moongel before so the EC2 to me is G2 with moongel. As for a snare there are alot of them out there so I guess you have to play one to find the one that you like. Good luck.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 07-18-2012 at 07:44 AM.

User Info Menu

Pork Pie snares are an incredible value, and they come in all types and sizes. Two of the most popular are the 13x7 vented maple Little Squealer and the 14x6.5 Big Black Brass (BOB) snare. Both can be obtained in your price range if you shop around a bit and wait for one of the 15% off sales that the big online dealers run every few weeks.
    kits:
    Mapex Saturn IV -- Transparent Espresso Walnut (10-12-14-16-22)
    RMV Bapeva shell -- Blue Sparkle (12-14-16-22)

snares:
    14x6.5 Yamaha seamless brass
    14x6.5 Taye Metalworks vintage brass
    14x6.5 Taye Metalworks stainless steel
    14x6 Tama Starphonic brass
    14x6 Pork Pie maple
    10x6 Pork Pie maple

cymbals:
    14" K's and New Beats

20" Byzance Sand Ride
    20" K Custom Dark Ride
    21" HHX Legacy Ride
    20" and 22" Dream Contact Crash/Rides

15" AAX Dark Crash
    16" Signature Fast Crash
    18" Saluda Earthworks Crash
    20" Crash of Doom

8" A Custom splash
    10" Signature splash

electronics:
    Roland SPD-30
    Alesis Sample Pad Pro

User Info Menu

Ludwig Acrolite although the price on these babies is skyrocketing. i bid on 3 acros a few days ago, i couldnt touch one for under 125 bucks, mint 230

User Info Menu

I just purchased a Ludwig Epic snare about a month ago for 199.00 and great snare for the price. Very happy with it.
    Proud Yamaha Player

The line between the real world and the machine world is becoming more and more blurred every day.But its not that humans are turning into automations or becoming slaves to the machines.No, we're simply growing toward each other!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kyle102565 View Post
    Ludwig Acrolite although the price on these babies is skyrocketing. i bid on 3 acros a few days ago, i couldnt touch one for under 125 bucks, mint 230
    CL is better for Acros now. I picked up one a few weeks ago for $40. Granted, it needed new heads and snares, but still...
    kits:

snares:
    14x6 Pork Pie maple
    10x6 Pork Pie maple

cymbals:
    14" K's and New Beats

20" Byzance Sand Ride
    20" K Custom Dark Ride
    21" HHX Legacy Ride

15" AAX Dark Crash
    16" Signature Fast Crash
    20" Crash of Doom

8" A Custom splash
    10" Signature splash

electronics:
    Roland SPD-30
    Alesis Sample Pad Pro

User Info Menu

GC usually has a large number of used snares; And any GC you stop in at can access GC's entire Used equipment listing from all their stores nationwide, so you are not limited to just that one stores used inventory. Used cymbals, used stands, used drum kits, used snares and Im supposing they have a full list of used gear from guitars to speaker systems as well.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by soren-k View Post
    CL is better for Acros now. I picked up one a few weeks ago for $40. Granted, it needed new heads and snares, but still...
    I had a chance at an Acro for the same price about a year ago and passed. I still kick myself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I had a chance at an Acro for the same price about a year ago and passed. I still kick myself.
    Yea, I was playing mine just now. I love it for a vintage sound. All my other snares are deeper too, so it adds a nice contrast. It's just a great snare to have in the arsenal.
    kits:

snares:
    14x6 Pork Pie maple
    10x6 Pork Pie maple

cymbals:
    14" K's and New Beats

20" Byzance Sand Ride
    20" K Custom Dark Ride
    21" HHX Legacy Ride

15" AAX Dark Crash
    16" Signature Fast Crash
    20" Crash of Doom

8" A Custom splash
    10" Signature splash

electronics:
    Roland SPD-30
    Alesis Sample Pad Pro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, though, I had a chance for a mint-ish Blackro (with case!) for $50 last month and didn't move on it fast enough. Grrrrr....
    kits:

snares:
    14x6 Pork Pie maple
    10x6 Pork Pie maple

cymbals:
    14" K's and New Beats

20" Byzance Sand Ride
    20" K Custom Dark Ride
    21" HHX Legacy Ride

15" AAX Dark Crash
    16" Signature Fast Crash
    20" Crash of Doom

8" A Custom splash
    10" Signature splash

electronics:
    Roland SPD-30
    Alesis Sample Pad Pro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by soren-k View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, though, I had a chance for a mint-ish Blackro (with case!) for $50 last month and didn't move on it fast enough. Grrrrr....
    It doesn't, but thanks! LOL. I'd love the blackro. Deals are out there for sure!