Thread: Single braced or double braced? which one should i get?

User Info Menu

Exclamation Single braced or double braced? which one should i get?

hi i am looking to get a new hi hat stand, i was searching online and i found that there are single braced stands and double braced stands. i want to get a good stand at a good price and i don't know which to go for. any suggestions?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Single braced or double braced? which one should i get?

Drummer Boy 99, it all depends on the stand. Some single braced hardware is pretty good, while other single braced is not. If you are planning on ever playing live with the hardware you get, then I would recommend double braced - especially for the hi-hat stand. That said, there is a wide range of quality, even with the double braced hardware. On hardware, I would say to get the best that you can afford, and check to see if there are any good, used hardware stands that fit what you want.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Drummer Boy 99, it all depends on the stand. Some single braced hardware is pretty good, while other single braced is not.
    Yep. Go to the store and test them to compare the quality.I would check the thickness of the chain(if chain driven), stability of the pedal attachment(does it wiggle all over the place with your foot on it), the stability of the legs(does it wiggle all over the place when you play it), can the legs be rotated to different positions, is there a memory lock on the insert/telescoping tube and, lastly, how easy is it to "break down" and reassemble for gigging?

I wouldn't spend more than $90 new.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I would go with the double braced. Most come with three legs but if you can get a two legged one it would make it easier for positioning your stand in tight spots. Good luck

User Info Menu

double braced Eliminator. Not likely you'll find one used, though
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

User Info Menu

My criteria for a good hihat stand focuses on the adjustability and the sturdiness of the unit. Double brace any stand and the added weight can be an issue for some drummers but if weight isn't an issue for you, I'd opt for the double braced version.

Here's a related thread on hihat stands:

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...t=hihat+stands