Thread: Brand New Drum Solo 7.25.07

User Info Menu

Default Brand New Drum Solo 7.25.07

Well I changed my kit around, downsized to a 4 pc, and got a new PDP SX 13x6 100% Maple snare drum, So it inspired me to do a jam, I don't really think this is a "DRUM SOLO" more just me goofing off on my kit, anyway hope you like.

BTW YES the kick drum sounds like crap

Like always PLEASE let me know what you think

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fusea...deoid=14075245

User Info Menu

Hey man, that was pretty awesome.

I love the sound of the new snare. The camera you used seems to pick up the sound of your kit quite nicely. Really fat sound you have out of your toms there too. I think you need to use less cymbal rolls though, I mean, it's nice that you have so many cymbals. But don't rub it everyones face

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

I like it, Kevin, but I am curious about what made you go to a 4 piece kit. You do seem a bit cymbal heavy in that configuration. I am also wondering about your comment concerning your kick drum. What made you give up on the other snare, and what's wrong with the kick. Is this just a matter of your drumming reaching a level that you need to go with a pro kit now, and so you're having troubles dealing with the lessor kit, or is there something else that I'm missing here?

Just curious. BTW, your drumming is awesome!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hellsbells58 View Post
    Hey man, that was pretty awesome.

I love the sound of the new snare. The camera you used seems to pick up the sound of your kit quite nicely. Really fat sound you have out of your toms there too. I think you need to use less cymbal rolls though, I mean, it's nice that you have so many cymbals. But don't rub it everyones face

HB58
    Thanks man, actually everything is mic'd, and my new snare sounds so sick live, but it hurts CRACK, an POP.

And I love cymbals what can I say, actually I have like four more I am not using, so I thought I was going soft lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I like it, Kevin, but I am curious about what made you go to a 4 piece kit. You do seem a bit cymbal heavy in that configuration. I am also wondering about your comment concerning your kick drum. What made you give up on the other snare, and what's wrong with the kick. Is this just a matter of your drumming reaching a level that you need to go with a pro kit now, and so you're having troubles dealing with the lessor kit, or is there something else that I'm missing here?

Just curious. BTW, your drumming is awesome!
    Hi Bob,

Honestly I just wanted to try something a little different, and honestly if really feels nice, it is so comfortable and funner to play because there is not as much stuff to think about.

I love cymbals, I can never have to many, they all have such a distinct voice, I am a cymbal freak that all I can say, I am going to be adding a few more to the mess here real soon lol.

I commented on my kick because mic'd up it just does not have the beefy sound like it does live, but I am working on it, and my kit is actually considered a pro kit, LOTS of pro touring drummers are using this series kit, but even if it wasn't I don't care cause it sounds so AWESOME.

I did not give up on my snare, in fact I still really like it, it sounds incredible, BUT I have to sacrifice if I want to get my add-on toms, some things will need to go, this snare is a very expensive, great sounding snare so selling this will be a good way to earn money to get my add-on toms, simple as that.

SEE YA BOB

User Info Menu

the only person i know that uses pdp is the drummer for elton john

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coke_can View Post
    the only person i know that uses pdp is the drummer for elton john
    then you should go on there website, cause there is alot.

www.pacificdrums.com

User Info Menu

Thanks for clearing it up, Kevin. I didn't know that the sound was about mics, so sorry about even bringing up my question.

I also understand the concept of changing things up for the sake of experimentation. Rock on, dude!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

You must be loaded to afford buying all these new sets lol.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    You must be loaded to afford buying all these new sets lol.
    Far from loaded my friend, I only own 1 kit, my old ddrums were just replacements from ddrum, until finally I sold them to buy my PDPs, I am broke as a joke , but I do manage to find stupid things around the house to sell on ebay to make some extra cash, remember I have four kids and am married with lots of bills so I have to get very creative, and so far it has proven to pay-off.

User Info Menu

Dude, you just don't look old enough to have 4 kids! But I do understand that you're not having anything handed to you. Just to be as good a drummer as you are after just 5 years in the saddle, you must have a great work ethic!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pdplayer View Post
    remember I have four kids and am married with lots of bills so I have to get very creative, and so far it has proven to pay-off.
    you poor bastard. i feel your pain. i also have a gang of four.

User Info Menu

Dude, you just don't look old enough to have 4 kids! But I do understand that you're not having anything handed to you. Just to be as good a drummer as you are after just 5 years in the saddle, you must have a great work ethic!
    Thank you

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    you poor bastard. i feel your pain. i also have a gang of four.
    LOL

User Info Menu

That was brilliant. Are you using double bass? Because if not there were some bits there that were jaw dropping!
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Nice one. IT grooveed all the way through.

drums-rock Guest

nice job that was ace!
    Last edited by drums-rock; 07-26-2007 at 07:20 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ethel_The_Frog View Post
    That was brilliant. Are you using double bass? Because if not there were some bits there that were jaw dropping!
    Yes I use dbl bass, thanks

User Info Menu

thanks everyone

User Info Menu

Hey Kevin, what's the difference between the SXE 14x6 snare and the SX 13x6? I usually think of differences in depth, but I realize the smaller diameter should raise the pitch some, too.

If this was the difference, I am curious why you decided on the msaller diameter. Is it that you just like the higher pitched "fusion" sound better, or is it something else? Curiosity.

User Info Menu

Hey Kevin, what's the difference between the SXE 14x6 snare and the SX 13x6? I usually think of differences in depth, but I realize the smaller diameter should raise the pitch some, too.

If this was the difference, I am curious why you decided on the msaller diameter. Is it that you just like the higher pitched "fusion" sound better, or is it something else? Curiosity.
    The SXE is the exotic line of snare(mine with kurillian birch), the SX is basically the same just a different finish quality, not to mention the size difference.

I like my 13" because it just has a little more attack and lots more pop sound to it, my 14" the one I am selling sounds great, but it does not have that super pop sound I crave, it has alot more focused attack, more sustain, and will cut thru anything, I am seriously debating at this point if I still want to sell it, because I really like both snares for different applications.

User Info Menu

One thing i forgot to add when i comented on you video. FREKELY ARMS!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pdplayer View Post
    The SXE is the exotic line of snare(mine with kurillian birch), the SX is basically the same just a different finish quality, not to mention the size difference.

I like my 13" because it just has a little more attack and lots more pop sound to it, my 14" the one I am selling sounds great, but it does not have that super pop sound I crave, it has alot more focused attack, more sustain, and will cut thru anything, I am seriously debating at this point if I still want to sell it, because I really like both snares for different applications.
    also the sx is a multi ply shell as where your exotic is a solid shell, correct? i would keep that baby. one can never have enuff quality snares.

User Info Menu

GAH Why wont it let me see it. I do have flash player :(

I need to see my pdp playing :( :p
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    also the sx is a multi ply shell as where your exotic is a solid shell, correct? i would keep that baby. one can never have enuff quality snares.
    Hello funky, Yes you are absolutely correct, sorry I forgot to add that in.

I am seriously thinkin about it.