Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gretsch catliana maple

User Info Menu

Question gretsch catliana maple

i love these what do you guys think of them i know there made in china is that going to effect the sound a great deal

User Info Menu

they look really nice, but ive never heard one, ill try one out today at guitar center.

talk to pastor bob i know he has that exact set

User Info Menu

Roachmon, I've got the set in the "Deep Amber" finish. That seems to be the one that is featured on most online store sites. I really agonized over a choice between the Sonor Force 3005 and the Gretsch Catalina maple. I personally like a more natural woodgrain finish on my drums, so I was learning toward the Sonor because both sets were all maple shells. Musician's Friend, who I had decided to deal with told me that I could no longer get the Sonor kit, so I went with the Gretsch Catalina maple. I turned out great! No disappointment here, at all. The drums are beautiful! They project well, and have the tone that I love (spent a fair amount of time going to music stores and just tapping on drum heads to figure out what my favorite sound was). One thing that you have to factor in is that the drums are usually sold as a shell pack, so if you don't have hardware, that will be an additional expense.

I can tell you that if you like the sound of maple, the Gretsch Catalina maple will do you proud! BTW, I love the extra 16x16 floor tom. Once everything is tuned up, doing a roll across all four toms is awesome!

I'll give you the link to the pics that I posted of the set right after I got it. They show more of the drums than the stock stuff at the online stores.

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php?t=2077&page=4
    Last edited by pastor_bob; 07-24-2007 at 11:30 AM.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Smile im going with the gretsch

thanks pastor bob unless i can find something for the price range that liturelly blows this set out of the (witch i probably wont) water im going to get the gretsch maple

User Info Menu

Enjoy! I know there are good sets out there, so just take some time and have fun with the process of deciding. I was making myself crazy trying to make the "right" decision, until I relaxed. For me that meant praying and asking God to get involved (even putting a decision like that in God's hands). I think of it like going to my dad and asking for his help in choosing.

Once I relaxed, the whole process got better, and I realized finally that the final decision would be a no lose decision. The last 2 sets I considered were both great sets. In the end, I did get the right one for me, though. Good luck, Roachmon!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by roachmon View Post
    thanks pastor bob unless i can find something for the price range that liturelly blows this set out of the (witch i probably wont) water im going to get the gretsch maple
    unless you find a used higher end / pro kit, you wont find anything that "blows it out of the water" within the under $1.500 range. just my opinion.

User Info Menu

Question snare

how does the snare sound on that set

User Info Menu

I have a gretsch catalina maple and i love it right now its all miked up in the studio and it sounds great

User Info Menu

how does the snare sound on that set
    The sound of the snare on the Gretsch Catalina maple is the very reason that I finally decided on this set. It's got a great low "pop" because it is a 14x6.

User Info Menu

I love piccalo snares :P i think its my punkish part of my background shining :P

I would buy a catalina just because PB writes love poems to his. So it must be good :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Dear Roachmon. Your habit of useing no punctuation and ending evry single post with 4 smileys really is RETINA-POPPINGLY ANNOYING!

User Info Menu

Dude, love poems? Well, OK, love poems! How did you know?!!

User Info Menu

dear vinnysimo it gets annoyinging when you bug other people for no big deal and if you nicely i probably would stop but since you didnt i wont
    Last edited by roachmon; 07-26-2007 at 10:10 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnysimmo View Post
    Dear Roachmon. Your habit of useing no punctuation and ending evry single post with 4 smileys really is RETINA-POPPINGLY ANNOYING!
    wow you cant let small stuff go maybe you have turets

User Info Menu

I volunteer at a youth center where we have bands come in most Saturday nights and play and I always pick the minds of the drummers. By far, Gretsch Catalina Maple is what I have seen the most, and it sound's so good. Of course there are, in my opinion, better sets, but you would probably have to go custom like Truth, Gecko drums or Six Gun. A lot of times, in my experience, it has been the laminate or color of the drums in these higher priced ones that just scream "I am way cooler than anything else". Personally, I compared the Gretsch with the Mapex maple set (around $1200 at musiciansfriend). But Gretsch has got the name and the history to back it up. I have never heard a bad comment about them.

User Info Menu

dear vinnysimo it gets annoyinging when you bug other people for no big deal and if you nicely i probably would stop but since you didnt i wont
    You retard.
    If you had even half a brain you would know that haveing "Turets" (learn to spell you cunt) has nothing to do with "getting annoyed with small things"
    Go and die.

User Info Menu

Whoa there, Vinny. Chill out. It just isn't that big of a deal. We can correct without name calling.

And Roachmon, keep in mind that being nice is what we do for others, not just our reaction to others.

If we keep these things in mind, this will be a more civil chat. Other the other hand, if anyone is having a bad day, just say so, and let it rip. Then we'll all understand.

User Info Menu

(with a whiny, high pitched voice)

I have a cold actually! Feel sorry for meeee! Now!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnysimmo View Post
    (with a whiny, high pitched voice)

I have a cold actually! Feel sorry for meeee! Now!
    what a baby i dont cry for by momy to give me a orgasim when i have a cold

User Info Menu

LOL!!! You got it dude! I was down for the last few days myself. You have my greatest sympathies, Vinny!! LOL And I'm doing it NOW!! LOL

User Info Menu

what a baby i dont cry for by momy to give me a orgasim when i have a cold
    (same whiny high voice as before)

Well i do! So shut up you dweeb! Or ill start CRYING and ill tell mommy!

User Info Menu

I'm not sure whether that's more like it, you guys, but I will say it sounds more like good old fashioned fun!! LOL!!

User Info Menu

Well seeing as Roachmon just inferred that Vinny had an incestual relationship with his mother, I'm not sure what to make of it.

Then again, kids these days eh?
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Exclamation sorry

vinysimo im sorry i want to get back on topic it just got me mad that you made fun of me

User Info Menu

Personally I think you should try just a little harder to use better punctuation and spelling. I'm not saying this because I feel elitist about it, it's just that if you do use better grammar and spelling, people will feel more inclined to help you than if you wrote 'hay guyz waht5 t3h l0wdown on dese plnet zztop cimbals prertty kewl eh?'
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...