Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snare/Tom-Toms flat or tilted

User Info Menu

Default Snare/Tom-Toms flat or tilted

Hi guys, well today I was playing to 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love by Queen and there is a rim fill there. And since my snare and toms are tilted towards me and when I do that rim fill its difficult because my hands hit the snare or the sticks hit the snare. I was wondering how most of you set up your snares and toms and I was just wondering if its much easier to play if I make my tom/snares flat, or can anyone suggest on how to do the rim fill aside from the Floor tom. thanks guys

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare/Tom-Toms flat or tilted

Flat or angled there is no right or wrong its all up to what makes you comfy. As for that little fill, pit your hamds in the center if your snare with your sticks pointed to the outside.

User Info Menu

Definitely tilted.

User Info Menu

Mine are all tilted snare, H toms and floor tom. I find my snare is great for rim shots tilted towards me some are tilted away. Like NR says there is no wrong or right.

User Info Menu

I tried going all flat once, but I just couldn't get used to the feel. I prefer a flat snare, 30 degree angled ride toms, and a slight angle towards me on the floor toms. There's nothing wrong with trying something new though.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Snare angled just a little. Mounted tom angled a little. Floor tom flat. I love the look of flat toms but I just can't play that way. Tried for months. Just couldn't stop hitting rims.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Snare angled just a little. Mounted tom angled a little. Floor tom flat.
    Same here, except my floor tom is angled just a tiny bit towards me too.
    Matt

User Info Menu

My has a little angle, same with rack tom, but my floor tom is almost completely flat...

User Info Menu

Tilted

User Info Menu

Snare angled away. Floor tom flat. Other toms as flat as possible - maybe 15 degree tilt or so. Heads last longer the flatter they are because you don't dig into them.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by =^-..-^= View Post
    Snare angled away. Floor tom flat. Other toms as flat as possible - maybe 15 degree tilt or so. Heads last longer the flatter they are because you don't dig into them.
    Explains why my high tom has a huge dent..

User Info Menu

Thank you for the replies guys! Im definitely sticking to tilted, I tried going flat today but it was too hard for me :/ Thanks for the tip NR!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by =^-..-^= View Post
    Yes and no, it all depends on the angle the sticks strike the head. The drum can be at 90deg to the floor, but if the stick strikes the head properly it wont damage the head at all.

User Info Menu

Snare flat, high toms slightly tilted, floor tom flat. I find most head dents come from hits with broken wooden or broken off nylon tips.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Snare flat...floor tom flat...rack toms all tilted slightly.

Best way I know of doing a fill that you're having trouble with is: slow down your tempo to the point that you have control over your sticks and control over what you what you are playing. after you get it down consistently at the slower tempo...pick the tempo up a bit...continue this method until you can play it at normal tempo. Just sayin ~~~
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

tilted, i feel that my hits are more effective when the drums are tilted
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

All tilted. I tried it with toms flat, but in order to not hit rim shots constantly, it makes me have to adjust my chair to high which is not comfortable then using my bass pedal then. I like my legs to be about parallel to the floor and not dangling off the edge of the throne.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I tried going all flat once, but I just couldn't get used to the feel. I prefer a flat snare, 30 degree angled ride toms, and a slight angle towards me on the floor toms. There's nothing wrong with trying something new though.
    Like yours, but my snare has a slight, slight tilt towards me.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    All tilted. I tried it with toms flat, but in order to not hit rim shots constantly, it makes me have to adjust my chair to high which is not comfortable then using my bass pedal then. I like my legs to be about parallel to the floor and not dangling off the edge of the throne.
    I used to sit really low. Now I sit as high as my throne will go. My legs are beyond parallel. But I only use the balls of my feet on the pedals so it doesn't bother me.

User Info Menu

Tilted. Snare slightly tilted, toms tilted and floor toms slightly tilted. All my drums (snare, toms and floor toms) are on the star cast mounting system and all have the ball and socket for adjustment. I can get any angle I want.

I sit pretty high and my drums and cymbals are pretty high as well..I'm 6' tall.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

All tilted, like me.

User Info Menu

I doubt if I could get around my set fast if my up toms were flat. The angles on my toms let me roll up to the other drums quicker than if the up toms were flat.

My snare is angled slightly down and away from me (mainly because most of my snare work is done with traditional grip). The up toms are at about a 30 degree angle which lets me roll right up on them, and they are angled slightly to the right so I can roll down to the floor toms.

As a young kid learning, I tried numerous set-ups, but when I saw Rich's set, I realized that it was the most practical for getting around the set quickly.

User Info Menu

my snare is tilted slightly towards me, my mounted toms are tilted a little more than the snare , and the floor is pretty flat .
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

i cant do flat except for my floor toms, even they are at a slight angle.
    i went flat once and hit nothing but rims.
    then again i tried no resosonce. huge mistake.
    i applaud all who experiment.

User Info Menu

Tilted: