Thread: Bernard "Pretty" Purdie

User Info Menu

Default Bernard "Pretty" Purdie

Drummer: Bernard Purdie
    Main Style: Soul, R&B, Funk, Rock
    Main Band: Session Drummer, but associated with acts such as James Brown, Jeff Beck, Hummingbird, Steely Dan, Aretha Franklin, Gil Scott-Heron, King Curtis, The Rolling Stones, Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie, Randy Brecker, Quincy Jones, Hall & Oates, Isaac Hayes, Cat Stevens, Hair, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (soundtrack)

Other Facts: He is known for his strict musical time keeping and "The Purdie Shuffle". Very influential on songs such as "Roseanna" by Toto and "Fool in The Rain" by Led Zeppelin.

I have watched several videos of this man playing. He always seems like he is having the best time of his life.
    Last edited by Markadiddle; 07-29-2012 at 11:39 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bernard "Pretty" Purdie

Yes! Watch whatever Purdie clips there are on YouTube. If you're having a bad day, they will make you smile with his positive attitude.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

Onya Markadiddle! Beat me to it, was going to do a Purdie thread. I had a jam with some guitarists and a bassist mate of mine last week, and after a couple of minutes trying to figure out what the hell they were trying to ask me rhythm-wise with a tune they were working on (..."shuffle your right hand this way....a bit here on the kick...no, this!"... and then them getting the counts a bit out of whack....ahh...don't you love some guitarists? Lol), once I heard them play their parts again, then the light went on in my brain....this needs the Purdie Shuffle on it! So I played it as best as I could and they're all grinning, they loved it. So thank God I found out about Bernard Purdie via Jeff Porcaro! Still is a damn hard thing to get it as good as Porcaro though, and as for getting it as good as Purdie? Forget it! :P
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Such an inspiration...love his work.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Such an inspiration...love his work.
    He may not be well known, but he has been an inspiration to me. I can be having the worst day, pull up one of his vid clips on Youtube and suddenly, my day gets better instantly. The guy is just positive energy and makes playing the drums look fun and easy. I just love how he " 'splains " everything.

User Info Menu

Thanks for adding Bernard to the list! He's awesome.

User Info Menu

I met Pretty Purdie at a drum expo years ago. At that time he was playing sonor drums.

He was the smoothest, most layed back, grooving drummer that I have ever met. I stood a few feet away from him and watch him do his magic. I bought his book at the drum expo. He gets very creative with the hi hat. The man has his own style and sound and he is a very cool guy.

User Info Menu

some years past "pretty" purdie set me straight at a time when i had lost my creative mojo. some double album organ trio cd release from the acid jazz series.

still in my cd case some twenty years later!
    don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off today

User Info Menu

Bernard Purdie on drums...still get the goosebumps from the beat @2:28

Last edited by Olimpass; 08-26-2012 at 11:26 AM.

User Info Menu

Kid Charlemagne....

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Olimpass;492927]Kid Charlemagne....

I'm glad you mentioned this. There's no way you can talk about this man without
    discussing his work with Steely Dan. Don't forget Gaucho's - Babylon Sisters,
    Aja's - Home at Last and Deacon Blues - Classics!
    Last edited by mdee; 09-04-2012 at 06:57 AM.

User Info Menu

He's the man! He is not only a high skilled drummer with amazing style, but his instructional videos are very fun to watch and really engaging.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments