Thread: Anyone Heard of CampJam???

User Info Menu

Default Anyone Heard of CampJam???

Yeah, so this has to do with Drums, but i hope i put it in the right spot. Has anyone heard of CampJam or even gone? I want to know what you guys think about it. If you don't know what im talking about it is a day camp that is a weak long. You can go with a band or by yourself. Either way you will have a band by the end.

User Info Menu

yeah my friend dylan is doing it for guitar. i think it's overpriced.
    Ostinato is the way to go!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    i think it's overpriced.

Sounds kinda like Camp Jeep.
    When we do right, no one remembers. When we do wrong, no one forgets.

User Info Menu

Wouldn't that be, "Camp Jip"?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Wouldn't that be, "Camp Jip"?

ROTFLMAO!

I'm going to have to steal that!

User Info Menu

Sweet, so you guys have heard of it. Yeah, im in it, and i have learned some really usefull stuff, but not for the price. I'll give a description after tomarrow night. So far it's really interesting. Like the main guy came in the room 15 minutes late. Then he sat and worked on his lap top for 5 minutes. I was pretty mad at this point, then he explained how he really doesn't want to be there teaching us. He likes helping kids, but in the way of not haveing to do any work. So far i have found about 3 or 4 times where people told us they didn't want to be teaching us. Is this wrong or is it just me?? Talk about being treated badly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyBunny View Post
    So far i have found about 3 or 4 times where people told us they didn't want to be teaching us. Is this wrong or is it just me?? Talk about being treated badly.
    It's wrong. I would say something about it to management and/or your parents (not sure how old you are). Somebody's money is being wasted.

User Info Menu

Those clowns should be replaced with people that actually want to be there.

User Info Menu

Wow, CB, that's one of the worst things I've ever heard! It's one thing to not want to be there teaching the kids, but it's an entirely different thing to actually tell them that! Lots of people do their job, even though it's not their favorite thing to do. That's why it's called a job!

I agree with Drummer. You should talk to a parent, who should then talk to the management of this camp, because this experience is not helping any of you to feel positive about your drumming. Besides, those "Gloomy Gus" teachers have to be told to knock it off, or they'll do it to more of you, too.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

i dunno, afeminate marmalade comes to mind....
    I Shall Never be caught, you will never obtain my Weapons of Mass Percussion, MWA HA HA HA HA!!

User Info Menu

Here is an overview. I have to say we started the show off with Red House. It was freaking awesome. Ummm...... We got there, and waited in a room till about 9:30, ok so it was running late about a half an hour, I guess some important guy was missing. First day, ill give them a break. We went to our instructor’s rooms. We kind of talked about the sets we use, cymbals, and sticks.... Then he figured out he needed to test our abilities for band arrangement. Once that was over, they took us to the so-called auditorium. It could fit about 30 people. They then went over the parts of music such as the verse. Then it was pretty much lunch. This was about 45 minutes long. The kids were loud and running around. After that we went to three more classes. One where we practiced our song, another was stage performance, and the third was how to memorize songs fast. So just said now, we never actually did anything in the third class. For practicing our songs, we did about three times a day. The rest of the week was about the same, except that in the morning. In the morning we practiced our song, went with the instructor, and learned about setting up. Setting up was fun. I learn more of how mixers work and a general idea of what is going on. Stage performance was also very helpful. It was probably the most valuable part to our band. We learned how to move around on stage, and how to entertain. So the only change through out the week till Friday was Wednesday when we had a pro drummer come in. Today the morning was the same, but then for the afternoon we ran through the performance twice. I was about 2:30!!! Parents didn't start showing up till 4:30!!! So what did we do?!?! My friends and I found a quite room and relaxed. For the next few hours nothing happened. Really that is how it went. Then at five they said that we would be given dinner. It was like 5:30 we finally got popcorn. Not much of a dinner. The concert was nice. There were about 60 parents and friends. Well there were only 40 seats. So in between songs, they had to call out the names of the musicians playing to make sure their parents could have a seat. So in all yes, I learned some important and help full information. I didn't learn a lot of skill related info, but the band learned how to look and perform better. The idea that some of the councilors treated us like they were babysitting really made me mad. With that the 15 year olds were stuck with younger kids. But along with being stuck with them we were treated like them.

This is the camp jam in Denver. This was its first year. The Denver school of music is running it.

User Info Menu

Lol, im sorry, i read through my last post about 4 times trying to make it where didn't take any sides and i tried to shorten it. Although i wasn't happy with some of the instructors i really liked a few of the others. So not all of them didn't care. The ones i liked, had fun helping and realized we weren't perfect or as good as them. They knew of how much we could learn from them and they were really helpful.

Don't be afraid to ask questions!!!
    Last edited by CrazyBunny; 07-27-2007 at 11:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Cool Anyone Heard of CampJam???

Quote Originally Posted by XJ99 View Post
    Sounds kinda like Camp Jeep.
    Hey, XJ--"Camp Jip" sounds like what a buddy of mine had to say about the perfect acronym for "JEEP" (ironically, he had an XJ Cherokee also):

JUST
    EMPTY
    EVERY
    POCKET!

I saw an ad for CampJam in a local arts program published by one of the area colleges...and I'm not totally sure it's worth the cost! Hey, it's gotta take some serious bucks to study with pros...all it could do is separate the ones willing to kick butt from those who aren't...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck