Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In regards to tom mounting..

User Info Menu

Default Re: In regards to tom mounting..

Never the less, I still love my Optimount system as they are attached to the top and bottom tension rods and float on rubbers so the drum can still resonate. Contrary to mounting systems suspended from the hoops or a hole in the drum themselves. I guess to each their own.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 08-02-2012 at 08:22 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Never the less I still love my Optimount system they don't seem to bother the resonance of the drums as they are attached to the top and bottom tension rods only, not like some who are suspended from the hoops or a hole in the drum themselves. I guess to each their own.
    There you go MCX, you do have a non-traditional mounting system. It's Pearl's own iso design. That's what we are talking about here...haha. It's similar to other's iso systems. My Starcast iso mounts are fixed on the top hoop only by three tension tods. TAMA makes a die-cast hoop to specifically work with the Starcast system (I'm sure you have seen them).

So you do have an iso mounting system brother. So if you took a tom off your kit and put it on a snare stand and listened to the sound I'm willing to bet you would hear a difference. Your toms are "free floating" (for lack of a better way to articulate). Put it on a snare stand and they are not anymore.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

The problem is the attachment points "pull" on one side. Tube mounts do the same: push it in all the way or just barely in and it amounts to the same thing: attachment at one side/one point. Get rid of the one-sided attachment point iso mount and use something else.
    Last edited by slinglander; 08-02-2012 at 09:36 AM. Reason: pic added
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Why are people always trying to re-invent the wheel or the mouse trap? I never saw any problem with tom mounting even before the isolation craze came along.
    I have never bought into the idea that a drum sounds better one way or another in the context of how it might be mounted.

However, some mounts are just ugly as hell !

And, in addition, for me, I prefer virgin basses..............not for any sound difference..........I just think it looks better.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

"However, some mounts are just ugly as hell !" I'll grant you that, Ricardo. That's why I love my Sonors!
    I think some people tuning off the mount don't like the diff sound when the toms are mounted. I just figure the tuning when mounted is the final step.
    Last edited by slinglander; 08-02-2012 at 12:59 PM. Reason: add txt
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    "However, some mounts are just ugly as hell !" I'll grant you that, Ricardo. That's why I love my Sonors!
    I think some people tuning off the mount don't like the diff sound when the toms are mounted. I just figure the tuning when mounted is the final step.
    Definitely. Gotta tweak when you put them on the mounts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    The problem is the attachment points "pull" on one side. Tube mounts do the same: push it in all the way or just barely in and it amounts to the same thing: attachment at one side/one point. Get rid of the one-sided attachment point iso mount and use something else.
    Sling, did you draw that? If yes, man that's a great drawing!!

User Info Menu

I like the diagram there Slingerlander! Only concern i'd have with that one, is how would you keep the drum from moving back and forth while at the same time not affecting resonance or blocking the airhole grommets?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Haven't heard of anything new or upcoming.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

I put a ludwig atlas mount on my gretsch catalina club 12 inch tom. Much better sound, much easier to deal with. I hate the mini-gts mounts. And I don't see whats wrong with mounting to the shell. As long as there's a rubber gasket between the metal and the shell I don't see it choking it. The mini gts on the other hand, only held the drum by two lugs and then rested on a rubber bumper. For me, the atlas sounds and looks better and is easier to deal with. I'm looking at new drums and I swear i'll buy an entry level poplar kit just to avoid those stupid rims mounts

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FirthHD9 View Post
    I put a ludwig atlas mount on my gretsch catalina club 12 inch tom. Much better sound, much easier to deal with. I hate the mini-gts mounts. And I don't see whats wrong with mounting to the shell. As long as there's a rubber gasket between the metal and the shell I don't see it choking it. The mini gts on the other hand, only held the drum by two lugs and then rested on a rubber bumper. For me, the atlas sounds and looks better and is easier to deal with. I'm looking at new drums and I swear i'll buy an entry level poplar kit just to avoid those stupid rims mounts
    Welcome to DC.

Never used the Atlas mounts, but seriously interested.............just wish they weren't so pricey.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    Not sure how you would change the tension or in this case the resistance. Would you put stronger or lighter magnets on the pedal to increase or decrease the "tension?" I don't understand this design and I'm having trouble understanding the idea behind it. I know that when the poles of the magnets are facing each other they resist each other but I don't fully understand the idea for a bass drum pedal.
    Yeah on this pedal you simply adjust the top magnet (underneath pedal ) forward or back to adjust the tension.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I like the diagram there Slingerlander! Only concern i'd have with that one, is how would you keep the drum from moving back and forth while at the same time not affecting resonance or blocking the airhole grommets?
    Whoa, is this old...?
    Problem with my idea is you'd have to tighten the pass thru rod/tube on the sides of the shell. So...still pressure on the shell. I'd think, if the rod was fixed to the shell, the ends extending, you could use some kind of toothed adjustment/lock system like cymbal mounts use and not exert pressure on the shell. Maybe get rid of the tube and just go with the short, toothed spindles on the shell, 180 degrees apart, then mount on forks with toothed gear locks! I think I have to build one LOL.

(Almost forgot, this is my digital art. Maybe I should add "patent pending" LOL!)
    Last edited by slinglander; 03-05-2016 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Added comments