Thread: Interesting question about heads

User Info Menu

Default Interesting question about heads

I have played set for years with Remo Weather Kings. I began playing in marching bands recently and have fallen in love with the sound of Remo Black Max and had the idea of putting those heads on my snare. would this be crazy? would it sound terrible? thoughts?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Interesting question about heads

You won't know till you try it man if it sounds good on your marching snare I can't see why it would'nt on your kit snare. The only difference to me would be the depth of the two snares.

User Info Menu

Nothing is 'set in stone' when it comes to drums. PearlMCXMan has it right. Try it! If it sounds good to you, you're set!

User Info Menu

A few things to think about before buying one for a drum kit snare.

Because it's a marching snare it is designed to be cranked down. Your kit snare might not hold the torque required for this head's sweet spot and snare sensitivity will suffer if so. It probably won't work well with brushes due to the fiber weave if you use brushes.

As already mentioned your free to experiment, just keep in mind the head isn't engineered for a drum kit.

User Info Menu

Evans makes a version of their Hybrid marching head that is specifically designed for kit snares, if you're open to the Evans brand but still would like to try a marching head on a kit snare.
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

I believe Chad Sexton from 311 used black max heads on his snare. Go for it, let us know what you think!
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

If you like the sound so much.. why not use a marching band snare as your snare? (I'm probably ignorant as to the many reasons why not to do that)