Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question concerning a PDP concept maple by DW kit.

User Info Menu

Question Question concerning a PDP concept maple by DW kit.

I am currently waiting on a pacific concept maple by DW 7 piece drum kit for pick up from my local drum dealer. My friend recently texted me and said while his brother was at a drum store he asked about the pacific concept maple series and a guy at the store told him the pacific sets are made from scraps of DW drumsets. I know they are made over seas using DW's ideas but is it true that the sets are made out of scraps from Dw sets?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Question concerning a PDP concept maple by DW kit.

I don't know for sure if that is true. But I have heard of this happening between 2 or more different drum lines made in the same factory. I wouldn't say that they are scraps. I think that it would be the shells coming down the line deemed by QC to have slight imperfections in the shells that don't measure up to DW standards. Then those "inferior shells" being used, or sold for use in non upper echelon drum kits. Nothing that would mean that the shells are warped or won't sound right, just that they don't meet a certain criteria for top of the line shells.
    Last edited by wolvie56; 08-02-2012 at 06:33 PM.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I could see using "BLEM" shells if the outer wood grain looks below standard but will still take a wrap, since the wrap covers a whole lot of problems easily.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Question concerning a PDP concept maple by DW kit.

Thanks for answering guys! I was worried they woukd not sound good. :D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jake_1124 View Post
    I am currently waiting on a pacific concept maple by DW 7 piece drum kit for pick up from my local drum dealer. My friend recently texted me and said while his brother was at a drum store he asked about the pacific concept maple series and a guy at the store told him the pacific sets are made from scraps of DW drumsets. I know they are made over seas using DW's ideas but is it true that the sets are made out of scraps from Dw sets?
    Hi Jake and welcome to Drum Chat. Congratulations on your upcoming kit! To answer your question, Concept Series kits are not made from DW scraps and here is why. The Concept Series maple kits are made from Asian Maple and DW Maple drums are made from North American Hard Rock Maple. Also, the way the wood grain is layered on the various DW shells differs too. If DW has a blemished shell it probably goes to the burn pile because it couldn't be used on the PDP lines.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post
    Hi Jake and welcome to Drum Chat. Congratulations on your upcoming kit! To answer your question, Concept Series kits are not made from DW scraps and here is why. The Concept Series maple kits are made from Asian Maple and DW Maple drums are made from North American Hard Rock Maple. Also, the way the wood grain is layered on the various DW shells differs too. If DW has a blemished shell it probably goes to the burn pile because it couldn't be used on the PDP lines.
    +1, And if your worried about sound, trust me. DON'T. they will still sound good. Not to thread jack, but how does grain effect the sound.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

Correct, your PDP kit will sound excellent. I've got an X7 maple kit, same exact shells, they sound great. You've got nothing to be concerned about. Great kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by groovearteest View Post
    +1, And if your worried about sound, trust me. DON'T. they will still sound good. Not to thread jack, but how does grain effect the sound.
    The guys at DW seem to think grain orientation makes a huge difference in sound. They market several different grain orientations in their shells.

User Info Menu

Grain orientation doesn't make a drum sound bad, just different. Vertical grain gives it a lower tone than horizontal. I'm sure both sound great, but gives choices to those wanting something very specific.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

Oh yeah. I forgot about the different woods that are used. Good point.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I got it and set it up today. You guys were right it sounded perfectly fine! Great actually. Way better then the set I had before (My dads Ludwig rocker 10 piece set from the 80's)

User Info Menu

Looking forward to pics Jake! I'm sure it looks great.

User Info Menu

pics please! hopefully soon ill be the proud owner of a Concept kit, if it wasnt for mortgage, utilities, insurance,grocery bills, daycare.......
    congrats on your new kit, im sure youll love it for many years.

User Info Menu

Congrats! I'm waiting for pics
    Dw | Zildjian | Pro-Mark | Evans

User Info Menu

Just a question, when did PDP move back over seas from Ensenada Mexico?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by double j View Post
    Just a question, when did PDP move back over seas from Ensenada Mexico?
    The PDP Platinums were being made in the Fender factory in Ensenada Mexico, along with the DW Performance Series for a short while. I believe the rest of the PDP's were still being manufactured over seas. The factory shut down down awhile ago, moving the Performance Series to the Cali Factory, and I believe the Platinums were discontinued around that time.

User Info Menu

thanks ciz, that was news I waas behind on.

User Info Menu

Sorry for the delay guys. I'm new to drumchat can someone tell me how to post pics I took of my set?

User Info Menu

Sorry for the delay guys. I'm new to drumchat can someone tell me how to post pics I took of my set?
    If you open up a photo sharing account (I use photobucket) you can upload your pics there. Then cut-copy-paste the [IMG] code. Looking forward to seeing the kit.

User Info Menu

Heres one pic I took:

User Info Menu

^that. Show us your kit!!!!!

User Info Menu

Heres one pic I took:
    Hey very nice kit. Congratulations!

User Info Menu

Heres one pic I took:
    Very nice! I'm a sucker for white I like the new PDP badges alot better too, they're not ugly anymore

And I apologize for my above post, for some reason I wasn't seeing yours...??? I got an email alerting me about it a few minutes ago, and noticed the date

User Info Menu

Talking Re: Question concerning a PDP concept maple by DW kit.

It's alright. And thanks! lol It's a really great set. And yes white caught my eye too

User Info Menu

Hey very nice kit. Congratulations!
    Thanks!