User Info Menu

Default Re: Evans Black Chrome

Haha looks like an extreme hydraulic head
    Dw | Zildjian | Pro-Mark | Evans

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ciz View Post
    Haha looks like an extreme hydraulic head
    What's with all these ultra-dampening heads that have been coming out? You've got the 3 ply heads from Aquarian and now these Black Chrome heads from Evans. I mean, if somebody wants their drums to sound that muffled, they can save money and just put duct tape on the heads.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    What's with all these ultra-dampening heads that have been coming out? You've got the 3 ply heads from Aquarian and now these Black Chrome heads from Evans. I mean, if somebody wants their drums to sound that muffled, they can save money and just put duct tape on the heads.
    Couldn't agree more. Why have a great set of drums, then muffle the **** out of them... unless you are recording ofcourse.
    Last edited by pastor_bob; 08-02-2012 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Language not family friendly
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

I don't see these heads as a "muffling" type head. They are designed to give you a deeper tone from your toms. I'm definitely going to try them out on my Sonor kit. The video I watched on facebook the toms sounded great, very deep and lots of sustain.

Here's the vid. Drummers not that great but you get the idea.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkvIgANNxGM
    Last edited by NPYYZ; 08-03-2012 at 05:26 AM.

User Info Menu

at todays head prices from the major online stores, you can actually afford to "experiment" with new heads without "breaking the bank"...so Im definately going to try em out just to see how they really sound on my oak customs.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

they make and sell dampining heads because lots of drummers like their drums muffled. everybody likes something different . i dont understand why drummers always want to tell other drummers how their drums should sound . if drummers didnt like muffled drums , the companies wouldnt make and sell muffled heads. keep an open mind..
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Like grains of sand..so many different opinions with us drummers...to quote an old saying
    " to each his own " if drum manufactures did no innovating where would we all be today?
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    I don't see these heads as a "muffling" type head. They are designed to give you a deeper tone from your toms. I'm definitely going to try them out on my Sonor kit. The video I watched on facebook the toms sounded great, very deep and lots of sustain.

Here's the vid. Drummers not that great but you get the idea.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkvIgANNxGM
    That's the vid I saw originally too. I don't care for the sound of them here. But I might give them a try. Might sound cool on my small drums.

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    they make and sell dampining heads because lots of drummers like their drums muffled. everybody likes something different . i dont understand why drummers always want to tell other drummers how their drums should sound . if drummers didnt like muffled drums , the companies wouldnt make and sell muffled heads. keep an open mind..

Well said!

User Info Menu

I listened to the youtube video and I don't think it did the new head any justice. The only way for me to make an opinion is to buy a set and try them out which may happen soon. Thanks for the post!!

User Info Menu

I liked what I heard,but, they ain't exactly cheap, I'll buy a 12" and see if I like it. For my kit it's $80 for all my toms.
    Mapex Saturn, Cherry Sparkle, 6 piece Studioese

Black Panther Cherry/Maple

Sabian AA cymbals

User Info Menu

def check em out! i have entry level Sonor's so dampening is my best friend at the moment! the ec2's are doing it for now!
    don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off today

User Info Menu

Seem like a nice new sound choice for Evans, good for them. The video I saw to hear them didn't exactly give them a sound I haven't heard before, but the depth was there for sure. They did not sound muffled at all though, I don't know why the company is saying they are. Only two things that really bother me are the marketing ploy of using a submarine(to emphasize their deep sound), and the possibility that these heads texture will become a fingerprint/blemish magnet. It could become too distracting at times.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Seem like a nice new sound choice for Evans, good for them. The video I saw to hear them didn't exactly give them a sound I haven't heard before, but the depth was there for sure. They did not sound muffled at all though, I don't know why the company is saying they are. Only two things that really bother me are the marketing ploy of using a submarine(to emphasize their deep sound), and the possibility that these heads texture will become a fingerprint/blemish magnet. It could become too distracting at times.
    WUT? Seriously? You don't like the submarine? I think it's brilliant. Out of the box thinking from a drum company. Fingerprint magnet? C'mon son.

User Info Menu

cripes i havent tried the G14 yet!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    WUT? Seriously? You don't like the submarine? I think it's brilliant. Out of the box thinking from a drum company. Fingerprint magnet? C'mon son.
    The submarine thing just seems a little gimmicky I guess, like aggressive marketing. It appears to have a shiny glassy surface, which could make it prone to marks and fingerprints, yes.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    The submarine thing just seems a little gimmicky I guess, like aggressive marketing. It appears to have a shiny glassy surface, which could make it prone to marks and fingerprints, yes.
    Fairly certain it's just the G1 top film and the black bottom film. Sure it looks shiny but I can't see how it would much more susceptible to fingerprints than any other clear or black head. Maybe I'm wrong.

User Info Menu

Oooo, some black heads to go with my drums. Me like.

Err....possibly seeing the price that Australian retailers might gouge outta my wallet for trying them on. Me not like.

Aha....seeing how more of a tax deduction I can get as a result. Me like.

Ugh....how the Tax Dept think when they can get even less money outta me, seeing I gave them sweet bugger all last time, all thanks to perfectly-above-the-board-following-the-tax-rules accounting.....they not like.

Decisions, decisions...hmmm....
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

you Aussies get hammered for everything, keep your chin up Drumbledore, if you are a professional musician all drum purchases are a tax deduction in the US. Chuck Berry buys 2 new guitars every year, tax deduction!!!
    Australians are a tough bunch.

User Info Menu

I would put those on my kit if I didn't want anyone to be able to hear the drums at all, or I might just go play the boxes the drums came in - bleccch!
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kyle102565 View Post
    you Aussies get hammered for everything, keep your chin up Drumbledore, if you are a professional musician all drum purchases are a tax deduction in the US. Chuck Berry buys 2 new guitars every year, tax deduction!!!
    Australians are a tough bunch.
    Oh yeah, I know that, best thing about being a music teacher are the ol' tax deductions. Every time I send the tax office a really low tax amount, I say to myself..."there you are, you mongrels....go buy yourself some Macca's for breakfast and go and get......far away from me!" lol.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Oh yeah, I know that, best thing about being a music teacher are the ol' tax deductions. Every time I send the tax office a really low tax amount, I say to myself..."there you are, you mongrels....go buy yourself some Macca's for breakfast and go and get......far away from me!" lol.
    my wife kicks my butt when i tell her i had a 10 pc chicken nugget with hot mustard for lunch
    VIVA Australia!!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kyle102565 View Post
    my wife kicks my butt when i tell her i had a 10 pc chicken nugget with hot mustard for lunch
    VIVA Australia!!!!!
    Tell her it's not just pigging out, you're buying a tax deduction matey!

Hey, when I do a Macca's drive-through going or coming from rehearsals or doing lessons at people's houses, I also go "deduction!" Well, if they want to indirectly tax us more via slowly jacking up prices, that's no skin off my nose, means they get screwed back by having less of my tax dollars back every time. Nothing like having an accountant that knows the Tax Act over here like the back of his hand, because without him, I wouldn't have known even half of the various items that I can rightfully claim. Some I already knew when I did the business component of my music course years back, stuff like obviously your music gear, stationery, fuel, etc, but gee, you only really get to know it well when my guy goes "do this" or "do that" every time I have to do my quarterly accounting.

Anyway, if I do happen to get Evans Black Chrome heads for a drum set of mine, I might even look at getting yet another set first. The black Ludwig/Rogers set is my usual 'working set' and I'm pretty used to that particular sound. My only problem is where the hell I'm gonna store another set! Plus at the moment I'm still shopping around for cases for my Ludwig Epic and Trixon sets so that I can properly stack and store them, so Black Chrome heads will just have to wait.
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 08-05-2012 at 07:12 PM.

User Info Menu

I ordered some Black Chrome heads for my toms a couple weeks ago from Amazon. I got the 12" and the 16" before the 14". I put them on and compared them to the EC2s that were on the 14 (and previously on the other toms). I used to think the EC2s sounded great but the Black Chrome, in my opinion, made the EC2s sound dead in comparison. Two days later I got my 14" head. Anyway, the Black Chrome heads are just as described. They are very deep sounding. Lots of low end. They are very dark, but warm at the same time. And they don't sound muffled. Tuning is very quick and easy with these heads. They seem extremely durable. In my opinion, it was a great purchase. Hope this helps some of you who were on the fence.
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    12"x9", 14"x14", 16"x16", 22"x18"

Addiction Drum Design custom 14"x7" segment snare
    Ludwig Epic 14"x7" "Brick" snare with custom paint
    DW Collector's Series 14"x6.5" Black Nickel Over Brass snare

Zildjian A Custom
    14" Mastersound HiHats
    16" Projection Crash
    18" Projection Crash
    21" Rezo Ride

Evans Drum Heads

Meinl Cajon
    Meinl Large Studio Shaker
    LP Egg Shaker
    LP Cyclops Tambourine

User Info Menu

I don't really see how these are more muffuled than any other 2 ply head, such as the G2's. Other than being designed to accentuate the low frequencies they seem similar in construction to the G2 (except that one of the plies is slightly thicker than the other).

I would expect these to fit in just below the G2's but above the EC's and Hydralics in terms of resonance.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |