Thread: First time jamming with other people tomorrow (on drums).

User Info Menu

Default First time jamming with other people tomorrow (on drums).

Hello Drum Chat,

Well after 1 1/2 years of drumming I am finally stepping out of my comfort zone and playing with other musicians... tomorrow. I have played bass in bands for years, I have even screwed around on my drummers kit but I have never entered the room as the drummer. I am just wondering if there were any tips, tricks or any helpful advice anyone would be willing to bestow upon me.
    I recently moved and know nobody within the music community here, so the people are just randoms that I met off of craigslist (kijiji, here in Canada). So I am feeling more nervous than I should.

User Info Menu

Default Re: First time jamming with other people tomorrow (on drums).

just keep beat until you get more comfortable playing with them. after you get more comfortable then do some fills here and there, but mainly just keep pocket the whole time. try to play at the same volume as every one else
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

I agree with what groovearteest said. Keep it simple and safe. Don't try to show off too much and you'll be fine. Just show what you can do without being obnoxious.
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

Should I try and lead the dynamics or just follow?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by reformedbassist View Post
    Should I try and lead the dynamics or just follow?
    My advice for drummers more than anything else, Listen to the SINGER! Dynamics, builds, stops etc... can be anticipated by the singing. After all the vocals and lyrics are the main point of the music.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Make sure you guys set up so that everyone is satisfied with where they are in the mix from where they are. Have everyone use the drums as a basis for how loud they should be playing, although dynamics affect volume, it only works to an extent.

See if you guys all know a simple cover song, most bands start out jamming on songs they all grew up on, and it will create a common ground to work off of.

Remember, as a drummer your first priority is to keep the time. Although its a great responsibility, don't get worked up if you get off beat for a few seconds, it happens. Once you've secured the time, just work on grooving with the other guys.

Good luck, and have fun!

User Info Menu

I agree that when you start the jam, it would be easiest to play the basic groove and don't worry about too many fills until you get more comfortable with the other musicians. They'll love that you're not stepping all over their musical space, and you'll find your own space for fills before long. Other musicians love drummers that don't overplay - unless they're in a band called, "The Who."
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Keep it simple and most importantly....relax and have fun.

User Info Menu

I would say just have fun. This is just a jam session. I don't think they'll care if you mess up or mess around a little bit. Just keep that beat.
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    12"x9", 14"x14", 16"x16", 22"x18"

Addiction Drum Design custom 14"x7" segment snare
    Ludwig Epic 14"x7" "Brick" snare with custom paint
    DW Collector's Series 14"x6.5" Black Nickel Over Brass snare

Zildjian A Custom
    14" Mastersound HiHats
    16" Projection Crash
    18" Projection Crash
    21" Rezo Ride

Evans Drum Heads

Meinl Cajon
    Meinl Large Studio Shaker
    LP Egg Shaker
    LP Cyclops Tambourine

User Info Menu

If you get a break, take some notes about whats being played and how it's their playing it. I used to think I would remember what I needed to work on after a new/first practice and would forget, so I got in the habbit of writing down sonds, beats, breaks, etc... Next practice I was ahead of the game!

User Info Menu

It's gonna be scary cause you will be playing with total strangers and you know you might be better than any of them. So just relax and enjoy it while it lasts. Good luck.

User Info Menu

I went through the same thing a few years ago. Answered an ad on kijiji and soon after they came over to my place to jam and see if we matched up. I basically just listened to them playing and jumped in with simple beats at first. Once I got used to the song, I added more to it.

They're not expecting you to know everything off the bat. Just soak it up and keep time...the rest will come naturally as you get to know them better.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    I went through the same thing a few years ago. Answered an ad on kijiji and soon after they came over to my place to jam and see if we matched up. I basically just listened to them playing and jumped in with simple beats at first. Once I got used to the song, I added more to it.

They're not expecting you to know everything off the bat. Just soak it up and keep time...the rest will come naturally as you get to know them better.
    So Digital how that work out for you did you start a band with those guys.

User Info Menu

Nothing to really add here...all great advice so far. Be yourself and have fun. As mentioned, dynamics/keeping an equal volume and knowing when to turn it up and down together is important.

User Info Menu

So. How did things go :D? Inquiring minds would like to inquire...
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Hey! Thanks for all the advice. I kept everything really simple and things went well. It was really weird for me to step into the roll of drummer having played bass for so long (20+ years). I guess I freaked myself out a little cause I never remembered what the good drummers that I played with did... I only remembered what the bad ones did.

It took all my strength not to play while they were tuning!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    So Digital how that work out for you did you start a band with those guys.
    Yeah, we've been playing for about 2 years now, but the bassist just quit. The guitarist/singer and I will still be going into the studio next week anyways and record 1-3 songs. He can play the bass parts.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

Hey! Thanks for all the advice. I kept everything really simple and things went well. It was really weird for me to step into the roll of drummer having played bass for so long (20+ years). I guess I freaked myself out a little cause I never remembered what the good drummers that I played with did... I only remembered what the bad ones did.

Well, knowing what not to do is just as important as knowing what to do.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: First time jamming with other people tomorrow (on drums).

Good job, RB! In fact, since the bass and the drums are the base, no pun intended, of most music, you no doubt worked a little harder to keep things in the pocket! Sounds to me like it worked, however!

Congrats, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck