Thread: The metronome is not my enemy (the new mantra)

User Info Menu

Default The metronome is not my enemy (the new mantra)

My Roland has a built-in metronome that I have been practicing and playing "against" since I started last October.

In preparation for the new acoustic kit, a week ago I got a proper drum metronome from Tama.

I thought I was doing better with it until I had my lesson tonight. My instructor nailed my problem with it though. I subconsciously have been seeing it as the enemy. So in a way I've been fighting against it. He said that a lot of drummers have the same problem.

So he told me to think of is as just another instrument in the band...and play with it just like I would any other.

Wow, just those few words make all the difference! I immediately stopped fearing it (like it was something I had to always be right on with or else - big time or else). Then my playing started getting the groove back into it.

Thought I would share this revelation, with other newbs in particular. Because I know how important it is learn to play to a click for many reasons.
    Rocka Rolla Woman

Mapex Black Raven
    14" Zildjian New Beat Hi Hats
    Zildjian 16" Fast Crash
    17" Zildjian A Custom Crash
    21" Zildjian A Sweet Ride

User Info Menu

Default Re: The metronome is not my enemy (the new mantra)

Congrats on realizing this early on like I did. You won't believe how many people go for years with major issues like this one. It works even better if you put on a musical noise, such as a cowbell, you get the feeling your playing with other people. I like to toy with tempos though so I don't do it all the time.

User Info Menu

When I play with metronome, I see (hear?) it as a percussionist rockin' out, playing quarter notes on the cowbell along to my playing. He goes out of time occasionally, though.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

The 2 most annoying things I've come across in my life were, in no particular order, my second wife and metronomes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rain View Post
    My Roland has a built-in metronome that I have been practicing and playing "against" since I started last October.

In preparation for the new acoustic kit, a week ago I got a proper drum metronome from Tama.

I thought I was doing better with it until I had my lesson tonight. My instructor nailed my problem with it though. I subconsciously have been seeing it as the enemy. So in a way I've been fighting against it. He said that a lot of drummers have the same problem.

So he told me to think of is as just another instrument in the band...and play with it just like I would any other.

Wow, just those few words make all the difference! I immediately stopped fearing it (like it was something I had to always be right on with or else - big time or else). Then my playing started getting the groove back into it.

Thought I would share this revelation, with other newbs in particular. Because I know how important it is learn to play to a click for many reasons.
    That's GREAT advice. I intend to buy a good one soon and devote more time practicing with it. (not only drums but guitar and singing as well)

all the best...

User Info Menu

My first crack at playing with a metronome was last year before we went to the studio. It took some work but I got down with playing to a click.

We are hitting the studio in a couple weeks and I insist on the metronome.

User Info Menu

I consider myself lucky because I was exposed to playing with a met at an early age. I was 15 when I started marching and I practiced with one and every day when everyone was together, they had the met blaring through every speaker. And a year later once I started playing set at church, I was exposed to having in-ear monitors with a met. It was hard to get used to at first, but it is such a helpful tool.

And Mark, good luck in the studio.
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    12"x9", 14"x14", 16"x16", 22"x18"

Addiction Drum Design custom 14"x7" segment snare
    Ludwig Epic 14"x7" "Brick" snare with custom paint
    DW Collector's Series 14"x6.5" Black Nickel Over Brass snare

Zildjian A Custom
    14" Mastersound HiHats
    16" Projection Crash
    18" Projection Crash
    21" Rezo Ride

Evans Drum Heads

Meinl Cajon
    Meinl Large Studio Shaker
    LP Egg Shaker
    LP Cyclops Tambourine

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ljmarch View Post
    I consider myself lucky because I was exposed to playing with a met at an early age. I was 15 when I started marching and I practiced with one and every day when everyone was together, they had the met blaring through every speaker. And a year later once I started playing set at church, I was exposed to having in-ear monitors with a met. It was hard to get used to at first, but it is such a helpful tool.

And Mark, good luck in the studio.
    Thanks bud. Pics and video to follow!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    My first crack at playing with a metronome was last year before we went to the studio. It took some work but I got down with playing to a click.

We are hitting the studio in a couple weeks and I insist on the metronome.
    cant wait to hear it.
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    When I play with metronome, I see (hear?) it as a percussionist rockin' out, playing quarter notes on the cowbell along to my playing. He goes out of time occasionally, though.
    Took the words right outta my mouth, xWeasel. In fact it is a cowbell sound that I use on my metronome.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

using a click whilst playing live on stage with a band and a backing track...that's a whole other kettle of fish

User Info Menu

I am fighting it for some years now and never won. It's a nightmare. Practising with a click is no problem, but with a band . . . .
    Even when recording the click in the guide track is so loud it's recorded (using a -28db head phone). I like your suggestion.
    I will give it a try with some more natural sounds and try to see it as an instrument.

User Info Menu

i think the secret to the metronome is....if you can hear the click, you're off!
    I have other secrets........but they're secret

User Info Menu

Funky Russ...thank you!!!!

It should have been obvious but...anyway that just helped a ton.
    Rocka Rolla Woman

Mapex Black Raven
    14" Zildjian New Beat Hi Hats
    Zildjian 16" Fast Crash
    17" Zildjian A Custom Crash
    21" Zildjian A Sweet Ride

User Info Menu

Cool Re: The metronome is not my enemy (the new mantra)

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    using a click whilst playing live on stage with a band and a backing track...that's a whole other kettle of fish
    That's why you need MORE COWBELL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    i think the secret to the metronome is....if you can hear the click, you're off!
    I have other secrets........but they're secret
    See my response above...

Seriously, Rain, consider the met as "training wheels." Once you get comfortable with the met, you'll become more comfortable by gradually going without it. And that'll come with time and practice!

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck