Thread: Timpani Anyone?

User Info Menu

Default Timpani Anyone?

I noticed this forum is almost like 99% Latin percussion stuff. I was in concert band in high school and played a lot of concert snare as well as a lot of timpani playing. And I still play them every now and again in a church percussion setting. If the opportunity comes, I'd like to own a timpano drum or two one day.

I was wonder if there were any other timpani players out there? Are any of you fortunate enough to own one or a few?
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    12"x9", 14"x14", 16"x16", 22"x18"

Addiction Drum Design custom 14"x7" segment snare
    Ludwig Epic 14"x7" "Brick" snare with custom paint
    DW Collector's Series 14"x6.5" Black Nickel Over Brass snare

Zildjian A Custom
    14" Mastersound HiHats
    16" Projection Crash
    18" Projection Crash
    21" Rezo Ride

Evans Drum Heads

Meinl Cajon
    Meinl Large Studio Shaker
    LP Egg Shaker
    LP Cyclops Tambourine

User Info Menu

Default Re: Timpani Anyone?

I used to play the timpani in church when they did Christmas and Easter programs. Loved it. One of my favorite pieces of percussion equipment.

User Info Menu

I didn't really begin playing the timpani until concert band when I was a sophomore. When I was a freshman, I thought that's what the talentless people played. But I was wrong. It easily became my favorite instrument.
    Mapex Meridian Maple

Zildjian A Custom
    14" Mastersound HiHats
    16" Projection Crash
    18" Projection Crash
    21" Rezo Ride

Evans Drum Heads

Meinl Cajon
    LP Egg Shaker
    LP Cyclops Tambourine

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Timpani Anyone?

Guilty as charged, ljmarch! I was the one who suggested a separate percussion thread (and you'll never guess the inspiration for my nickname!). You are correct that percussion entails a whole lot more than hand drums, and I must admit I am fascinated with the skill and timing it takes to play tympani (spelling is good either way!). It is NOT the place where "the talentless people play."

(Trivia note: On the classic Shirelles recording, "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?", Carole King--who wrote the song--was so fed up with the performance of the original tympanist that she played them herself [check the bridge, in the phrase "where the night meets the morning sun"]!)

Welcome aboard and thanks for expanding the percussion discussion beyond the Latin American region!

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Definitely not an instrument for unskillful players. I love playing the timpani. They can add a lot of depth to a song. But what I don't like is when someone who doesn't know what they're doing and they just hit it and move the pedal and go "wahwahwahwahwahwah".
    Mapex Meridian Maple

Zildjian A Custom
    14" Mastersound HiHats
    16" Projection Crash
    18" Projection Crash
    21" Rezo Ride

Evans Drum Heads

Meinl Cajon
    LP Egg Shaker
    LP Cyclops Tambourine

User Info Menu

Tuned percussion in general is an area onto itself. Quite a few people as well as myself on here play stuff like marimba, vibraphone and other keyboard mallet percussion, but I'd be the first one to admit that I have not that much experience with timpani. Mind you I've done stuff like using Remo "Tympany" heads on large rototoms that I own, but that's not like really playing timps with a pedal. So any input that you have will be most welcome.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Well thank you. I'd be more than happy to help if anyone has any questions about this or any questions about the timpani or any other percussion instrument. Tuned percussion like timpani is fun, but it's a big hassle first of all because of its size and mobility but also because of its pitch. It's a very precise instrument when it comes to tuning and calibration and other factors that affect it like humidity. Just a little bit off and you can definitely hear it in the band and it doesn't sound pretty.
    Mapex Meridian Maple

Zildjian A Custom
    14" Mastersound HiHats
    16" Projection Crash
    18" Projection Crash
    21" Rezo Ride

Evans Drum Heads

Meinl Cajon
    LP Egg Shaker
    LP Cyclops Tambourine

User Info Menu

I use to play around with the tympani in school....long long ago..and yes its truly a wonderful percussion instrument..you think tuning a regular acoustic drum is hard..try a tympani! just listen to the opening of the movie 2001 a space odyssey ( spelliing ) some of you current students will most likely know the name of the music..."Also sprach Zarathustra" if I remember. but also heard in alot of current music as well. Pricey but if you have the dough and room ..go for it.
    Last edited by MartyM; 08-09-2012 at 07:04 PM. Reason: spelling
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

I'm really into timpani. I started a few years ago in concert band and I delved really deep into it in the past 2 years or so. I've played a piece with 232 tuning changes (I counted), which is about 8 minutes long. Almost every note involved pedaling. Timpani requires a stellar sense of pitch and incredible stubbornness. I was always complimented for clearing the timpani heads multiple times per rehearsal, but I always thought I was just being incredibly stubborn since I couldn't stand the drums sounding slightly impure.

User Info Menu

Skutieos, I seriously tips me hat off to you, sir! Anyone who can do those tuning changes has a seriously good ear. Classical percussion is such an awesome thing to watch and listen to, from keyboard percussion, snare etudes, timpani, through to tubular bells, gongs and all sorts. Any contemporary player can learn so much watching some stuff.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8