Thread: review: Sonor Jojo Mayer bass drum pedal

User Info Menu

Default review: Sonor Jojo Mayer bass drum pedal

First things first, out of the box it comes with a beautiful case, not sure of the material, leathery,but not leather, either way it screamed quality and class. The pedal arrives folded up flat, by simple lifting the beater up, the bar snaps into place and the pedal is nearly assembled. Attach the spring to the mechanism and you're ready to go.

At first glance, the pedal looks different. Its a long board with a heel plate. this pedal is strap driven, as opposed to the typical chain.

Attaching the pedal to your kick drum. This is by far the biggest setback of the pedal. The locking mechanism is a screw(standard drum key). It is placed vertically and to the left of the strap. In order to get it tightened, you basically HAVE to use the provided drum key. The key they give you is basically a drum key with a 90 degree bend. This is necessary because I don't think a normal key would even fit in this place. Anyhow, you have to turn it multiple times to tighten it, removing the key and refitting it on to the screw while the strap is in your way and you have very little room to work with.

Playing the pedal. Its very light and what I would call moderately responsive. Being that its a strap and for some reason tightening the spring nearly all the way is still fairly loose, the beater I feel can be kind of slow on the return. Also, it seems as though the bottom of the pedal smacks against the bass drum clamp if you press the pedal all the way down. The footboard itself feels kind of flimsy to me while playing and has a weightless feel, which is not really a compliment because this weightlessness I think comes from the pedals lack of responsiveness mentioned before.

Overall: 5/10, not worth the $250 price point.
    The folding aspect is cool, but I don't think it will perform next to other various high end pedals. I will mess with it some more and if I feel different about it after more extensive use I'll be sure to write :-)
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Default Re: review: Sonor Jojo Mayer bass drum pedal

Bummer, man. Sounds like it's a return item. Hope your not stuck with it.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

After having tried Axis, DW 9000, and a Iron Cobra (single and double), and losing the feel for my Speed King, I have to say that the Speed Cobra is the best pedal out there right now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    After having tried Axis, DW 9000, and a Iron Cobra (single and double), and losing the feel for my Speed King, I have to say that the Speed Cobra is the best pedal out there right now.
    I respectfully disagree!
    but I am just not a longboard fan!! hah
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Well I respectfully agree

Speen Cobra is an amazing pedal. Bummer about the Jojo mayer pedal though, was wondering if anyone would end up trying one out.
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

Doesn't sound worth the money...........especially given the current competition.

I currently play a double-bass set-up with two bass drums and two single pedals.
    I am using two identical YAMAHA strap-drive pedals that I bought in the late 80s............they were top-of-the-line at that time and are still very good equipment..............put it this way............I have never found them to be inferior to my abilties.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)