Thread: dents in drumheads

User Info Menu

Default dents in drumheads

its me again i got one small dent in my floor tom head is this going to affect the sound a great deal?

User Info Menu

Just happened to run across a drumhead repair kit on DrumBum site. Roachmon, you might check with Drummer to see if this might help you with your drumhead.

Hope that helps.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

a few dents aren't going to hurt much. However when you get several dents it starts to effect the resonance of the drum head, deading it. Then it will be time to replace.

User Info Menu

Cool dents in drumheads

If you're play'n them too hard, you're more likely to dent the heads--but as el presidente said, one dent shouldn't affect your drumming too much...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I have a single dent in my floor tom, on my previous skins I had about 10 before the skin would brake >.> Your technique is flawed or you are just plainly hitting to hard. For me it was I just playing to hard, but it goes away after you get better at playing and relaxing etc.

User Info Menu

The last bass drum heads I had copped an incredible beating from me. I use the plastic beaters and tune my batter head quite tight. Is there anyway I can prolong the life of my heads without affecting the sound? I used to use a Falam Slam pad on my Remo head, but it seemed to change the sound.

Any tips?

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

There are two types of Falam pads, larger ones and smaller ones. Are you using the larger ones?

User Info Menu

I got the larger one when I was using a double pedal. So it would protect the head better.

The smaller ones don't affect it as much?

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

when i 1st bought my kit, the guy who was selling it to me droped the drum stool on my floor tom and then there was a little dent in it, and he could tell i was kinda bummed because i thought it would effect the sound, he said the one dent wouldnt do anything. but he still replaced the stool that came with the kit, with a much better one!! he didnt say why, but im sure its because he made a dent in my tom.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hellsbells58 View Post
    I got the larger one when I was using a double pedal. So it would protect the head better.

The smaller ones don't affect it as much?

HB58
    a smaller pad will effect the sound less as it covers less area on the head and allows for more resonance. Also, give a wood beater a try. I think it might give a similar punch as your plastic but since it's organic, it does have some give to it and won't punish your head as much.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin View Post
    when i 1st bought my kit, the guy who was selling it to me droped the drum stool on my floor tom and then there was a little dent in it, and he could tell i was kinda bummed because i thought it would effect the sound, he said the one dent wouldnt do anything. but he still replaced the stool that came with the kit, with a much better one!! he didnt say why, but im sure its because he made a dent in my tom.
    A dent in the drum head or a dent in the tom shell?

User Info Menu

Cheers el presidente,

Yeah, I'm just about to buy some new Evans EMADs. And I didn't want to destroy them, but I also didn't want them to sound any different.

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

You can't avoid a different sound if you change to a different kind of drum head. It's going to happen, they're different for a reason. But play with the tuning when you get em and you might be able to get REAL close or even find something you like better.

User Info Menu

I meant that I didn't want to change the sound of the Evans. I've heard them on other drums before and it blew me away just how fat they sounded. I loved it.

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Yeah I doubt a pad on the front will effect the sound a noticable amount.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by el presidente View Post
    A dent in the drum head or a dent in the tom shell?
    head

User Info Menu

A small dent won't hurt anything.

User Info Menu

I played some cheap ones that i had beaten into a concave shape.... Replaced them with the same cheap plastic skins without the beaten ness and it sounded way way better....

But that was pretty sever :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters