Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opeth - Watershed.

User Info Menu

Default Opeth - Watershed.

First off, this album has a special place in my heart as being what I consider to be the best album in history. Seriously. So, I don't think I could ever do it justice, but I'll ramble off a little bit about it anyway.

For anyone that's a fan of Opeth, you'll know of singer/songwriter/guitarist Mikael Akerfeldt. He has been the driving force for the band since their very beginning, in around 1990 I believe. He helped start the band when he was 16 and has been a member ever since. From the very start, Opeth has been a mix of many, many styles, but most prominently incorporating death metal sections in with a lot of slower, prettier acoustic sections, with acoustic guitars and sweet, beautiful clean vocals contrasting distorted electric guitars, double bass drumming and death metal vocals.

Watershed is a fine example of this. Starting off with the opening track Coil, a slower, more beautiful acoustic track featuring Nathalie Lorichs singing alongside Mikael, and then right after crashing into track two, Heir Apparent, a far more metal-y track. The rest of the album contrasts in a similar manner.
    The whole album is just nothing short of a musical rollercoaster, mostly being on the lighter music side but having it's fair share of metal mixed in.

I'm completely convinced absolutely anyone can get something out of this album, it's well worth checking out!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Opeth - Watershed.

Burden is my favourite track on the album. Dat keyboard solo.

- Zack

User Info Menu

Never heard of them but will check them out. Thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Never heard of them but will check them out. Thanks
    Opeth have two sides to them - the proggy, kinda folky mellow stuff, and their death metal stuff. Their albums Damnation and Heritage are both much more mellow than, say, Deliverance or Ghost Reveries. Of course, many, if not most of their songs have both heavy parts and mellow folky parts to them.

Anyway I'll just leave this song here. It's one of my favourite songs off the Damnation album, which is my favourite album EVER

- Zack

User Info Menu

Love Opeth. "Hessian Peel" is but one of the great tracks on that album. Akerfeldt certainly gave Martin Axenrot, the new guy on the drumstool, a bit of a baptism of fire alright, when it came to recording this album lol.

"...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Axenrot's drumming in Heritage is amazing.

User Info Menu

Huge Opeth fan here, although Heritage wasn't one of my favorites by them. Watershed IS a masterpiece, and Hessian Peel is the shizzle. I also think Reverie/Harlequin Forest is right up there. He's one of those musical geniuses, along with Steven Wilson.

User Info Menu

Heritage was definitely a step in a much different direction. The Devil's Orchard and Folklore are the two songs from that album that definitely stand out for me, especially Folklore. That guitar, woooow. Following Watershed I'd say Damnation is my favorite album, followed by Blackwater Park.
    Though my favorite Opeth song is probably Advent.

User Info Menu

I really liked Heritage. Not as much as Damnation or Blackwater Park, but I still think it's a great album.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by almostmatt1 View Post
    Axenrot's drumming in Heritage is amazing.
    Yes x1,000,000,000. Lots of fans tend to complain that Lopez had more "feel" than Axe, but his drumming on Heritage is incredibly diverse with PLENTY of "feel"...to me, at least. I love Lopez, he's an excellent drummer. But clearly so is Axe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    Burden is my favourite track on the album. Dat keyboard solo.

Never listened to them but they have a "Kansas" sound to them...never a bad thing

User Info Menu

I just saw them live Saturday night and took this video of one of the songs they played. A great show, all in all, but the venue was WAY too small for them.

http://youtu.be/1Y5_S0wP1Gw

User Info Menu

I'm not in to metal music, but I've seen Opeth couple of times. Their livesounds are so absolutely beautiful, so I just gotta see them every now and then.
    http://www.drumchat.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22600&dateline=135509  2622

User Info Menu

Opeth is a great band.
    Still Life
    Blackwater Park
    Deliverance
    Three of my favorite Opeth albums.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Seba View Post
    I'm not in to metal music, but I've seen Opeth couple of times. Their livesounds are so absolutely beautiful, so I just gotta see them every now and then.
    I also love Amorphis from your country too, Seba. A friend of mine got me into them quite a while back.

User Info Menu

I Love Opeth! I've had the opportunity to see them live several times. Mikeal is hilarious when talking to the crowd....
    Absolutely some of the most brilliant musician of our time!
    Gear
    Yamaha Stage Custom(late 90's)
    10 12 16 22 BD 14 SN
    Cymbals all Sabian
    14 AAX-celerator Hi Hats
    8 & 10 Paragon Splashes
    17 AAX-xplosion Fast Crash
    16 AAX Dark Crash
    18 AAX Dark Crash
    21 AA Raw Bell Dry Ride
    19 Paragon Chinese

User Info Menu

I have heard of them. Never listened to their music. After listening to the videos on here I like them. May need to go to iTunes and listen to a bit more. Thanks for sharing, everyone.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

If your not in to the death metal element check out the album Damnation. It contains some of their less aggressive stuff. Has a cool 70's progressive vibe as well. It is one of my favorite albums musically. Still Life and Blackwater Park are some of the best as far as the heavier stuff goes. You cant really go wrong with any of their stuff though, but those 3 albums are a good start
    Gear
    10 12 16 22 BD 14 SN
    Cymbals all Sabian
    14 AAX-celerator Hi Hats
    8 & 10 Paragon Splashes
    16 AAX Dark Crash
    18 AAX Dark Crash
    21 AA Raw Bell Dry Ride
    19 Paragon Chinese

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    I also love Amorphis from your country too, Seba. A friend of mine got me into them quite a while back.
    Amorphis singer lives near by, see him in store quite often, can't miss that hair if he walks by
    http://www.drumchat.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22600&dateline=135509  2622

User Info Menu

Amorphis singer lives near by, see him in store quite often, can't miss that hair if he walks by
    Dude that is pretty bad ***! Amorphis is pretty awesome!
    Gear
    10 12 16 22 BD 14 SN
    Cymbals all Sabian
    14 AAX-celerator Hi Hats
    8 & 10 Paragon Splashes
    16 AAX Dark Crash
    18 AAX Dark Crash
    21 AA Raw Bell Dry Ride
    19 Paragon Chinese

User Info Menu

Vermivore is another Finnish band I'm getting to lately. Great stuff!
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

That guy is one of my favourite metal vocalists. Probably because he has a lower pitched voice than most metal vocalists so I find it easy to sing along
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Here lads, it's all about Morningrise

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chikablam View Post
    Here lads, it's all about Morningrise
    My favourite song off Morningrise, because dem bass lines

- Zack

User Info Menu

Get out of here, really? Tomi Joutsen is a friggin' legend! What town do you live in then?