Thread: Hi-Hat Quick hits!

User Info Menu

Default Hi-Hat Quick hits!

Yeah so, i really want to make my playing a little more interesting and with that i have found a few ways to do it. First get really fast on the bass pedal, add in opening and closeing the hi-hat, and a really cool quick hi-hat hit. I think i am over thinking it, but it is a quick hit in between a 8th notes. I wandering if anyone can help with this. Is it just practice, or is there a trick behind it.

User Info Menu

Its good to start off by getting comfortable playing some 16th notes on the hi-hat which you can mix in with your 8th notes eventually once you get comfortable with them. This link should help you get used to the 16th note patterns and then throw a 16th note beat in with a 8th note groove and when its up to speed you should get that sound you are looking for.

http://216.103.111.115/perl/drums/in...=Intermediate7

User Info Menu

play them single handed or alternating RL on the hi -hat

User Info Menu

Sweet Thanks!!!

User Info Menu

Speaking of 16 notes on the hi-hat, depending on how you play it depends on how it sounds. If you play it with one hand, it sounds fast but flat, and if you alternate, it has a lot more vibe but generally it seems like a slower tempo (this is what I've heard in mixings anyway)
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyBunny View Post
    Sweet Thanks!!!
    you are welcome

User Info Menu

Yeah, im after the once in a while single handed 16th note hit. It really makes jazz sound alot better.