Thread: recording for youtube

User Info Menu

Default recording for youtube

Hey all.

I will be soon starting to record video for youtube and i was wondering what would I need to at least start off. what would I need to do, what software would i need, what equipment, ect. Thanks for all your help. If you need additional detail please ask. I want this to look as least halfway decent, and not look like I just recorded myself with a cell phone and really loud poor quality speakers like some people on youtube might do. I want at least close to the quality of youtube drummers like kbbenson or luke holland. Well maybe not quite that good but at least close enough to it. Oh forgot to say it would be for drum covers.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

Default Re: recording for youtube

Zoom. Q3hd ... Upload to YouTube , use YouTube editing software ... Done

User Info Menu

option 2

spend thousands on a audio interface ,preamps, mics and editing software...then spend a good year learning how to get the best out of it

option 1 looks better yeah?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    Zoom. Q3hd ... Upload to YouTube , use YouTube editing software ... Done
    This all day long. The ZOOM Q3HD video camera has absolutely superb sound quality and can record in 1080p hd at 30fps, of 720p at 60fps. Plus a few other lower quality options too, but I think you won't be interested in them if you want top quality.
    Seriously, this audio quality is unbelievable. 1 little camera doesn't sound like much but it'll be all you'll need.

User Info Menu

Yep, the Zoom Q3HD will be the cheapest way of getting decent results.

PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

+1 for the Zoom Q3. When I record my videos I use a Flip camera, and the sound quality isn't quite as good as the Zoom Q3 but it's still better than most other camera mics.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    +1 for the Zoom Q3. When I record my videos I use a Flip camera, and the sound quality isn't quite as good as the Zoom Q3 but it's still better than most other camera mics.
    I have the flip camera and its sound quality is pretty good, its video quality is very good as well. But what I was gonna do was use this video camera i have(its a pretty good camera as well) and record myself playing the song, then try and match the video to the song. A couple of pretty good youtube drummers told me thats what they do and the have thousands of views and good quality videos. Only thing they have that I don't are mics, but I know how to get descent quality without mics. Just wanted to hear what you guys would do, just to keep my options open. What i'm mainly more concerned about is getting the video where The viewers can hear the song clearly, And to where I can still use my headphones to hear clearly. So i don't have the problem of the drums are louder than the song, or I can't hear because I'm tryin to play while hearin the song through some cheapo speakers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by groovearteest View Post
    I have the flip camera and its sound quality is pretty good, its video quality is very good as well. But what I was gonna do was use this video camera i have(its a pretty good camera as well) and record myself playing the song, then try and match the video to the song. A couple of pretty good youtube drummers told me thats what they do and the have thousands of views and good quality videos. Only thing they have that I don't are mics, but I know how to get descent quality without mics. Just wanted to hear what you guys would do, just to keep my options open. What i'm mainly more concerned about is getting the video where The viewers can hear the song clearly, And to where I can still use my headphones to hear clearly. So i don't have the problem of the drums are louder than the song, or I can't hear because I'm tryin to play while hearin the song through some cheapo speakers.
    Just use the camera to record yourself playing along to the song using headphones. Bring the audio and video from the camera into any video editor (iMovie, Vegas, Premiere, Windows Movie Maker, etc.) and sync the camera audio with the MP3 of the song you were playing. You should be able to adjust the volume of the two audio tracks separately and put them at the right level relative to each other.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    Just use the camera to record yourself playing along to the song using headphones. Bring the audio and video from the camera into any video editor (iMovie, Vegas, Premiere, Windows Movie Maker, etc.) and sync the camera audio with the MP3 of the song you were playing. You should be able to adjust the volume of the two audio tracks separately and put them at the right level relative to each other.
    This is exactly what I've done to make all of my videos so far. GoPro HeroHD for audio and video.

User Info Menu

I use a Cannon Powershot SX130 IS to shoot all my live video of bands. It has great zoom so if I am not up front I can zoom in better then the Zoom cameras. Mine records in 720p as well. For a $150 camera,it's pretty darn good.Sound comes out without distortion most of the time.I forget I have to be at least 10-15 feet from the speakers. Add a 32GB SD card for $30 and rechargable batteries and you have a decent set up for under $200. I took a chance with this camera when I bought it and didn't intend it to shoot 720p video and have decent audio but it does so I'm happy. Going strong for almost 2 years with this camera and hundereds of videos shot.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

One other way, a bit more tricky and not really applicable here if you don't haven an extra camera, but if you do: Use for example, H2n/H4n recorder (Or any other good handy recorder, check reviews), get a boom mic stand. Attach the recorder to the stand ( You have to use your own patent unless you have the mic attachment for the recorder) and position it above your set. This way, you will get your sounds better.

Now, if you do have a camera which has the option to attach an external microphone to itself, get hold of an according cord which fits both the camera and the recorder and attach the microphone via the cord to the camera. This way, if you have a good camera, you will good quality video and audio, and with a bit of audio editing, even better audio.

The reason why you can't really use the Q3HD for this setting is that you can't really position it above your set and have good video and audio at the sametime as the mics would point somewhere else than the set, most likely a wall or a big open space. Of course, this setting is a bit more tricky and would be probably easier with just the Q3HD, but for me, the difference between recording infront of my drums and above them was quite huge. I personally use this method (except not for the filming, yet).
    Last edited by WEe; 12-14-2012 at 07:54 AM.
    PDP Concept Maple CM7 Cherry Lacquer
    Evans Black Chrome
    Evans G1
    Evans Hazy 300
    Evans EQ3
    Aquarian High Velocity

Stagg DH 14" Crash
    Stagg SH 8" Splash

Saluda 13" Mist Hybrid Medium, Wavy Hats (hammering on top hat)
    Saluda 21" Glory Medium-heavy dark, dry ride, raw bell, extra hammering
    Saluda 18" Diamond HH Crash
    Saluda 18" Voodoo M Loco China
    Saluda 10/12 Maxxstyle stack

User Info Menu

God not again!
    | PORK PIE CUSTOM DRUMS | SABIAN CYMBALS | DW 9000 HARDWARE/PEDALS | EVANS DRUMHEADS | VIC FIRTH STICKS | WOODSHED KICK HEADS |

User Info Menu

It's a question of whether you want the quick and easy route, or the lengthy but quality route. If easy, go for a video/audio recorder like a Zoom Q3. If you really want things to look good, you're going to want a few microphones, sound treating for the room, recording interface, a nice computer with a DAW, new heads and proper dampening, effective positioning of mic angles, and when you finish the recording THEN you can sync it with your video track.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I can't recommend the zoom products highly enough! I use the zoom h2 which offers great sound, but the q3 has great video too, so it's even better. Plus it makes your job a lot easier, because you don't have to bother getting the audio and video lined up, the q3 does it for you

If you want to check the sound I'm sure you'll find loads of sound samples on YouTube
    Last edited by Grace :); 01-22-2013 at 04:35 PM.

User Info Menu

wow this thread is still going haha. well my recording days sort of came and went. the camera i was using wasn't as good of quality as i had hoped so i was going to use the flip camera i had. But things happened and i was only able to do a few videos(back in august and september) before i had to stop. The quality was ok, windows movie maker kept removing frames and making most of my videos out of sync, and uploading to youtube made it worse. So when i am able to do quality recordings i am going to delete the videos i have up and put better quality ones. I am working on getting a mic interface and a better video editing software. decent sound editing software already comes with the interface so im not to worried about that right now. but i probably won't be uploading again till about mid summer early fall. thanks for all of your guys info anyway.