Thread: A sad sad story.

User Info Menu

Default A sad sad story.

From Reuters:
    FLOODWATERS SPREAD

"In Bangladesh, monsoon floods continued to spread, inundating vast areas in 30 of the country's 64 administrative districts, officials said on Friday.

"Thousands of people have been marooned or displaced. We have opened flood shelters at several places and are bracing for the worst," said Ibrahim Khalil, an official in Sirajgan district, one of the worst-hit areas north of the capital Dhaka.

Across the border in India, incessant rains over the past week have displaced hundreds of thousands of people in the east and northeast, destroyed crops and damaged bridges, officials said on Friday.

In the eastern state of Bihar, 21 people have died and hundreds of thousands of villagers have seen their houses washed away. Road and rail networks have been disrupted by heavy monsoon rains over the past three days.

Rivers in the northeast -- including the Brahmaputra that also flows through Bangladesh -- have burst their banks. Floodwaters have submerged paddy fields and destroyed houses.

"The situation is grim," said Bharat Chandra Narah, flood control minister for Assam state."

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .....................................

Truly, truly terrible. What a nightmare. Hundreds of thousands of among the poorest people in the world have thir homes, their possesions and their scarce food supplies destroyed. Where do they have to go? They have nothing. Things like this keep yoou humble and make you feel so much more thankfull for what you have.

drums-rock Guest

Wow whats really bad the goverment should just give them money!!

User Info Menu

Well, Bangladesh is one of the poorest and most cramped countries in the world. I don't think the Bangladeshi govenment has money just laying about that they can just give away to their citizens.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnysimmo View Post
    Things like this keep yoou humble and make you feel so much more thankfull for what you have.
    Vinny, you said it all right there, and if this world is about people, not how much stuff we have, then it's not about what can their government do. It has to be, what can I do? Would I give up getting the new cymbal, so that I could give a donation to a relief agency working to help these people?

You're right, it should keep us humble, and grateful, for what we have. What we have should also remind us to share some of what we have with others less fortunate than ourselves. For Christians, it's "love your neighbor as your self." For non Christians it would be the "golden rule; do for others as you would have do for you."

Thanks for the reminder, Vinny, and thanks for the news story. I hadn't heard about it.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Yeah. A very hidden story. If it was in some western country you wouldn't be able to avoid it. But stuff like this never gets heard about because its in a "less important" country. Shame.

User Info Menu

Amen, Vinny!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

And to think people are too busy fussing over who's gonna get evicted from Big Brother, or what the media should make them think about a specific subject.
    It's upsetting.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

This happens every year, though, in that part of the world. Summer is monsoon season on the Indian sub-continent. Frankly, I'm surprised that it made the news at all. Thousands die every year in that part of the world during the monsoon, and I'm amazed that the media is actually showing signs of <GASP!> caring.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

Wow! Btg! Your Back!

User Info Menu

Hey BTG, good to see you again, you were a major contributor when I first signed up, is everything ok? i hope all is well with ya, long time no read.
    I Shall Never be caught, you will never obtain my Weapons of Mass Percussion, MWA HA HA HA HA!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallG View Post
    This happens every year, though, in that part of the world. Summer is monsoon season on the Indian sub-continent. Frankly, I'm surprised that it made the news at all. Thousands die every year in that part of the world during the monsoon, and I'm amazed that the media is actually showing signs of <GASP!> caring.
    BTG, you are so right! The media is all about selling advertising time, or circulation and ratings. For them, something like this is old news, so it really is amazing that it got reported.

BTW, it is good to have you back.

User Info Menu

Angry A sad sad story

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallG View Post
    First--welcome back, BTG! Missed see'n ya round, bro'!

Now to the story...

Sad part is, dude, you're absolutely right. I remember in 1970-71 when rock musicians were supposed to have that monster "Concert for Bangladesh" and by the time they got all the legal tangles untangled, the people who were supposed to benefit got zilch, nada, zippo!

And it takes a real catastrophe (like the tsunami a couple years back in Thailand) to get the vast majority of us off our es to do something. If we did half the stuff we say we're gonna do (and never do!) when someone asks us to help someone out, we'd be helpin' a lot more people than we do!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Thanks, guys! I'll post a "BTG update" thread in Off Topic.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.