Thread: hey this could be a fun game

User Info Menu

Default hey this could be a fun game

what kind of old medias have you owned... and it could be fun if you could remember what years you used them... (roughly)

i have had...

Vinyl, LP (1984-present time)
    VHS tapes (sometime in the late 80s my parrents got a VHS machine - pressent time)
    Tapes with music (cant remember if they had a short name)(late 1980s - early 2000s)
    reel tape recorder (this was my parrents, i got to use it a couple of times) (1980s - early 1990s)
    CDs (1994 - Pressent time)
    DVDs (2005 - pressent time)
    MP3s (2001 or 2 - Pressent time)
    AVIs (home videos and live recordings) (2007 - 2010)
    MP4s (the same as above) (2010 - Pressent time)
    3GPs (same as the above, above)(these were really bad, i dont think i have any left) (2003 - 2007)

you might think that since i am a kid of the 80s my family would have had BETAMAX and 8-tracks, but these never broke though for real here in Denmark, i only know one person who have had BETAMAX
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results - Albert Einstein
    Does this mean that drummers are insane ?

User Info Menu

Default Re: hey this could be a fun game

8 track tapes, cassettes and vinyl. Darned if I can remember the years.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: hey this could be a fun game

Being in the media (radio) for over 30 years, my memories are gonna be a bit skewed, but here goes:

78 rpm (parent's records): 1955-60 (that's when both the records and the record player broke! )
    45s and LPs (33's): 1966-present
    reel-to-reel tape recorder (1971-73; I wore our a cheap Sears recorder practicing reading to improve my radio voice; in radio 1974-2007)
    4-track tapes (1971-73 in car; 1974-1999 in radio--the tape cartridges used in radio stations for years are essentially based on the early 4-track machines, but did not have four individual tracks on the same tape)
    8-track tapes (1973-76)
    Cassette tapes (radio 1974-2007; home use 1980-present)
    VHS tapes (1989-2010; our current combination VHS/DVD player is broken and I can't find a combo unit anymore)
    CDs (radio 1999-2007; home 1999-present)
    DVDs (2001-present)
    MP3 (radio 2004-2007; haven't gotten my Christmas-gift MP3 player to work right YET!)

(I used a Betamax machine in my TV production course in college in 1973-74, but, ironically, TV was my worst media-related class, ever. The only Betamax machine I ever saw outside of college was one my cousin owned in the early 1980s--and she was so proud when she was able to record the Michael Jackson Pepsi commercial when his hair caught on fire for her daughter, who was seven at the time.)
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Default Re: hey this could be a fun game

My parents have a Victronox, Victrola so that would be my very first I guess. It's more a show piece in their house but it still works.

Reel to reel...still have two of them and many tapes.
    8 track
    cassettes
    vinyl (33 and 45)
    CD's
    MP3
    MP4
    DVD
    VHS
    Beta
    8mm movies and projector
    slides
    film camera and recorder
    digital camera and recorder
    walkman
    portable cd player
    iPod

Not in that order of course but you get the idea. The years range from mid 70's to present.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG