Thread: How far back do you play your pedals?

User Info Menu

Default How far back do you play your pedals?

After getting my speed cobras, the biggest difference I have noticed in them is where I have to play them. Obviously because of the long boards the sweet spot is in a different place, but for me it seems that I have to move really far back on the pedals to hit it and because of that I scoot my throne back to maintain a 90 or bigger angle. I just seem to be really far back, like so much I had to bring the toms, snare, and cymbals in to play comfortably.

Do any of you sit far back from the kick?

User Info Menu

Default Re: How far back do you play your pedals?

I build my kit around where my feet feel the best on my pedals so the kick drum is the first thing I set up and build the rest of the kit around it. With that being said, I never had to compromise the distance between my throne and kick.

User Info Menu

I started off with the DW 5000 in 1991 and in 1996 I got the Iron Cobras, both "short boards." I have had the Speed Cobras for almost a year and I have had to raise my throne about a half to three quarters of an inch and I play the pedals in the middle or just a hair back from the middle.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

yes i sit back farther than every drummer that i know, i guess its just the way im built .
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

When playing faster double kick stuff, I tend to play with the balls of my feet on the very back of the pedals, near the hinge. I also have pretty large feet, so to keep my lower legs straight or slightly angled toward the kick drum, I have to sit pretty far back.

When I'm playing more single kick stuff, I sit a bit closer to the kit and have my foot right up near the top of the pedal for extra power :D
    - Zack

User Info Menu

I used to sit way back, now I'd say I'm about average. Don't know exactly the reason for the change, but I decided I needed to sit higher so that may be it.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

I just sit back till I feel comfortablle when hitting the pedal and sometimes adjusting the height of the throne helps too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I build my kit around where my feet feel the best on my pedals so the kick drum is the first thing I set up and build the rest of the kit around it. With that being said, I never had to compromise the distance between my throne and kick.
    I do the same thing. Kick drum and pedal set up first, then throne. Get feet comfortable and set everything else up.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: How far back do you play your pedals?

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I do the same thing. Kick drum and pedal set up first, then throne. Get feet comfortable and set everything else up.
    I agree with marko and rich on setting up the bass drum and pedal first then throne. I just forgot to mention that

User Info Menu

I figured out a lot of my problem today. I had my pedals too close together. I guess I had been use to the horrible power loss of my older pedals, so I set these up just like them. Today, I spread them apart about 4-6 inches and it made a world of difference. I can play much better now.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: How far back do you play your pedals?

Quote Originally Posted by Xoferif09 View Post
    I figured out a lot of my problem today. I had my pedals too close together. I guess I had been use to the horrible power loss of my older pedals, so I set these up just like them. Today, I spread them apart about 4-6 inches and it made a world of difference. I can play much better now.
    There you go problem solved.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I agree with marko and rich on setting up the bass drum and pedal first then throne. I just forgot to mention that
    Tis' what I do. When I got new pedals I had to alter my whole kit, for the better of course. I play really close to my bass drum though which I guess is kind of weird, but it's comfortable to me. I play on the ball of my feet most of time, unless I'm playing soft, so my legs are almost completely vertical.
    Dw | Zildjian | Pro-Mark | Evans

User Info Menu

I went to Thomas Lang clinic the other day and he was talking about how DW try to make it as simple as possible. The pedal is the shape of your foot and that's more or less where your foot should go and that will help you play the sweet spot which is roughly on the middle of the board. Say between the 9 and 0 on a DW 9000.

User Info Menu

I position my pedals to wherever my feet naturally rest, I have found though, the higher I sit, the more control I have
    MY KIT
    Mapex Horizon Birch in Rattan Yellow lacquer
    -8x7,10x8,12x10 mounted toms
    -14x14,16x16 floor toms
    -22x18 Bass drum
    -14x5.5 snare

If it's Mapex, YOU KNOW IT'S GOOD!