Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Removing logos & why?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Removing logos & why?

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I like my logos and I do everything I can to keep them intact.
    Right on brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    If you're gonna destroy a cymbal like that, you might as well strip your drums' finish and badges too. Some things aren't supposed to be messed with.
    Haha... I like your thinking!!

Quote Originally Posted by imnotverygood9 View Post
    Am I the only person who likes the look of faded cymbals? They look older and cooler..
    I also like the look of older, vintage cymbals. I have quite a few. When I buy new cymbals (which isn't often because there are fantastic used cymbals out there) I just wipe them with a barely damp cloth then dry them right away. If I get used ones that are shiny, again I just wipe them.

Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    I think keeping/preserving the logos is done for similar reasons that we don't remove badges from the shells.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I think logos are important for identifying what cymbals a certain a drummer uses. When I hear a drummer play I look at the logos on his drums first to determine what they are and if I like the sound of his cymbals then it is nice to see the logos too. I have redone all the logos on my Zildjian they had faded away and I just love the logos.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by almostmatt1 View Post
    Awwwww, not the steel wool, man.
    Exactly what I was thinking...NOOOO steel wool!!!
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    Right on brother.

Haha... I like your thinking!!

I also like the look of older, vintage cymbals. I have quite a few. When I buy new cymbals (which isn't often because there are fantastic used cymbals out there) I just wipe them with a barely damp cloth then dry them right away. If I get used ones that are shiny, again I just wipe them.

Yes.

I agree.

Exactly what I was thinking...NOOOO steel wool!!!
    Naaa...everyones worried about some wool, big deal these things are meant to be hit and crashed and choked! a little steel wool not going to hurt it. Plus those pst5 logos use some THICK ink, and removing that ink frees up the sound. It's like having a piece of duct tape on your cymbal and having it removed and the cymbal sounds clearer.

So with that being said, I believe cymbals with NO logos sound better then cymbals with giant thick inky logos. :P

Just IMO.
    9 out of 10 people addicted to brake fluid can't stop!

User Info Menu

I think hitting the cymbal with a stick(not that hard depending on technique) is a different ballgame that scrubbing and scraping the entire surface of it with an abrasive material like steel wool in order to clean and clear it off. It is however true that when weight is added to an object it cannot maintain it's original tonality, as it becomes more inhibited. Soundwise it might suffer some, but probably not by very much in this case. You'd have to find out exactly how much weight the logos are putting onto the cymbals to be certain. If possible, try to find someone with the same cymbal as you but scrubbed inking and hear them side by side recorded under the same settings.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

If I had steel wool, I would remove the logos, except for my AAX Crash.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ty7177 View Post
    If I had steel wool, I would remove the logos, except for my AAX Crash.
    Why use steel wool? Just get a cymbal cleaner like Zims or whatever that will take the logos off without the abrasive scrubbing.

User Info Menu

In addition to the ink stamps, new cymbals are given a coat of clear lacquer at the factory. This helps preserve the shine and keeps the fingerprint monster at bay while they sit on the rack at your local drum shop. A good cleaning with most commercial cymbal polishes will remove it. If you want to take the ink off, I suggest some acetone and a soft cloth. Brasso and steel wool, even 0000, are very abrasive. Bronze is much softer than brass and will scratch more easily. If it makes you happy, cool. I suspect the damage, if any, is minimal.

It's not rust. You need iron to create rust and cymbals contain no iron. The patina you see on cymbals, especially older ones is caused by reaction with air pollutants and the build up of dust and dirt in the pores of the surface. Copper is very reactive to moisture and pollutants. Many drummers actually prefer the sound of cymbals with heavy patina.

Lots of drummers remove logos from their cymbals, Neil Peart is a good example. They tend not to remove the badges because a 2"x2" metal badge doesn't draw the eye the way the massive logos on cymbals do. That's why drum companies put it on the front bass drum head, which coincidentally... lots of drummers remove. In the end, aesthetics are personal, just don't damage your gear.

User Info Menu

Why use steel wool? Just get a cymbal cleaner like Zims or whatever that will take the logos off without the abrasive scrubbing.
    1+ Groove Juice works as well... whether you want it to or not I baby my cymbals like I do my drums, I couldn't imagine scraping them with steel wool...just the thought makes me cringe.
    Last edited by Ciz; 08-22-2012 at 11:17 AM.
    Dw | Zildjian | Pro-Mark | Evans

User Info Menu

Love your cymbals Ciz they look so nice with the logos and to think people take them off.

User Info Menu

In my opinion, if there's anything on a cymbal that's similar to a drum 'badge' as a few of you have alluded to, it's the cymbal stamp. I would take more than a few swipes from a rag soaked in cymbal polish to remove it. To me it's more of a value than an ink'd logo that can easily smear like a cheap dime store tattoo if you're not careful.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MattDrums View Post
    Lots of drummers remove logos from their cymbals, Neil Peart is a good example.
    To Gilles: our hero's drum kit for the latest Rush tour "Clockwork Angels". Not one drop of ink on top!!

User Info Menu

Love your cymbals Ciz they look so nice with the logos and to think people take them off.
    Thanks Pman, that's an old pic though lol, I've sold off one of them, and gotten 4 new babies since I don't clean the bottoms, they are quite dirty, but I clean the tops every 6 months or so, and I always cover the logos to save them. Eventually they will start fading(my ride is beginning to) and I will rub them off to keep a cleansely look to them.

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I like! Especially the designs, that is so cool! I'll have to admit though, if it wasn't for the designs on the edges it wouldn't appeal to me as much. I can seriously look at pics of his kit all day...
    Dw | Zildjian | Pro-Mark | Evans

User Info Menu

Logo-less mock-up.

User Info Menu

I try to keep my logos on simply because I like to keep things in the condition I bought them in, mostly for resale value, but also because I like to see what brand and type it is. Even if the logo is scratched up a bit, I still like it on there.

User Info Menu

The logos are as valuable as the badge. Sure the badge helps you date and identify it's maker, but the logos may have special writing under it which tell you what type of sound you get in easy to read lettering. If you have a tough time seeing small objects like a drum badge, this can really come in handy when you look at a cymbal and can tell "oh, this is for a dry sound but with less wash and more ping. It would go with this other one over here for this next song." When playing time is critical you don't have time to squint at some tiny badge and google for a half hour to find out what the cymbal is and what it's used for. Sure you could play and listen to it, but it's kinda nice to know key details by looking at the lettering. You might not want to show up to a jazz gig with these giant heavyweight rock cymbals, just like you wouldn't wanna play a 2 hour death metal gig with a kit decked out in thin diplomat batter heads. Save the logos and you'll always know what you have so you can avoid these situations.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Pearl MCX wrote .......I have redone all the logos on my Zildjian they had faded ......care to elaborate ?

I like keeping the logos. I'ts been my observation that with each "real" cleaning the logos fade little by little. That said, I don't " real " clean my cymbols but once a year or so. Between cleanings I keep the set covered up as much as my lazy butt allows.
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Removing logos & why?

To Gilles: our hero's drum kit for the latest Rush tour "Clockwork Angels". Not one drop of ink on top!!

I can see why cause it would intefere with the graphics on the cymbals plus it would not look right with the cymbal logos. We do know however that he used Canadian made Sabian cymbals think:
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 08-23-2012 at 07:41 AM.

User Info Menu

Okay folks.. Here's my cymbal set-up...all logos removed except on the 20" medium ride which is fine but the rest are nice and clean. I'm really happy with these pst 5 cymbals, best deal around. So far I haven't meet a Paiste pst 5 cymbal I don't like, they sound great! and I made a nice profit when I sold my Z's.

[IMG][/IMG]
    9 out of 10 people addicted to brake fluid can't stop!

User Info Menu

I sometimes like cymbals with no logos, but usually only those with some kind of design on them. If they're just plain looking, then it's not all that impressive to look at. No way of telling at a glance if it's a cheap cymbal that came with a $500 kit or an HHX.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

PlanetPaiste Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    I sometimes like cymbals with no logos, but usually only those with some kind of design on them. If they're just plain looking, then it's not all that impressive to look at. No way of telling at a glance if it's a cheap cymbal that came with a $500 kit or an HHX.
    First I would like to thank the cymbal/drum gods here for allowing my new user name. Planetzildjian has step aside...planetpaiste is in orbit now

Yes..the logoless (is that a word?) top cymbals are plain looking I guess, in fact you could call it "old School"...all the way back to Ringo playing his Zildjians. But every drummer out there knew or found out what he was playing. Just like Big John Bonham, his cymbals sounded sooo good and drummers knew it was Paiste (2oo2's) without the LOUD logos you see today. Although the 2oo2's still use the red ink for logos and aren't as obtuse as the black logos.

Remember I didn't remove the logos on the bottom of the cymbals, just the tops. So the audience will still see the bottom logos which are more toned down from the loud looking top ones. It's all good....whatever floats your boat?

Play on!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    No way of telling at a glance if it's a cheap cymbal that came with a $500 kit or an HHX.
    Honestly...nobody would care except us drummers and how many out in the audience do you think would be asking that same question? What matters is how well those cymbals are played in my opinion.

This:

Last edited by late8; 08-29-2012 at 09:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Removing logos & why?

Honestly...nobody would care except us drummers and how many out in the audience do you think would be asking that same question? What matters is how well those cymbals are played in my opinion.

This:

Wow Rich show us the stand that this monster fits. Never seen a cymbal that size before what is it like 52 inch crash or ride

User Info Menu

This:

Of course I love my logos, but you are 100000% correct. The ONLY people who care what kind of gear drummers use is other drummers. Any non-drummer in the audience doesn't give 2 craps about company A or company B.

User Info Menu

Somebody went to a lot of trouble to make that cymbal logo large enough so the whole world can see it. Jes sayin.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

This:

Of course I love my logos, but you are 100000% correct. The ONLY people who care what kind of gear drummers use is other drummers. Any non-drummer in the audience doesn't give 2 craps about company A or company B.
    Well I can respectfully disagree. I have been to plenty of shows, played plenty of shows and gone to music shops plenty of times where non-drummers do ask and do care about cymbals. As a drummer I ask about guitars, amps, mixing boards, monitors, speakers, strings, non drum hardware. I have also had people come up after a gig and ask about my gear and the other band members gear. Weather they REALLY care, I don't know but they ask.
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

As far as steel wool and harsh chemicals (brasso in particular) I will disagree till I'm blue in the face and stay firm on the FACT that it will damage cymbals. IT WILL AND IT DOES, EVERY TIME!!
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro