24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

Default Re: Show Us Your Drums!

Quote Originally Posted by shabutie2113 View Post
    how do the pops sound when you do em
    Pretty nice, actually. If you've ever heard a Remo djembe, it's pretty much exactly like that with a semi-weak snare sound laid over the top of it. I think the head is too thick to get a bunch of snare response. The lack of a bass tone creeping in makes the open tones and slaps a bit cleaner.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneRoney View Post
    I've been debating picking up a 13" tom for my Pearl Visions and playing 10/13/16 instead of 10/12/14. I think the 3" spread would sound cool.

I was taking some picture of some gear I'm getting ready to trade in and realized I have never posted a picture of my Remo Mondo snare here:

It's basically Remo's mondo head that's used on their djembes on a snare drum. It sounds cool, but REALLY, REALLY ringy, even with the inside of the top head covered in duct tape. They actually made an entire kit like this a while back. It used it in a setup with a Trilok Kick-Conga, a djembe, and hihats.
    Let me know if you want to sell it outright. I do a lot of acoustic sets with one of two REMO djembes I have. This might make a nice addition for that vibe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneRoney View Post
    Pretty nice, actually. If you've ever heard a Remo djembe, it's pretty much exactly like that with a semi-weak snare sound laid over the top of it. I think the head is too thick to get a bunch of snare response. The lack of a bass tone creeping in makes the open tones and slaps a bit cleaner.
    Yep I own a remo djembe and Pop quite a bit it sounds very good wanna switch its head though still got the origional head it came with dont know how to shop for djembe heads to be honest so drop some knowledge on me =]
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9

User Info Menu

Yep I own a remo djembe and Pop quite a bit it sounds very good wanna switch its head though still got the origional head it came with dont know how to shop for djembe heads to be honest so drop some knowledge on me =]
    Give me the size and post a picture of it and I'll steer you in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Let me know if you want to sell it outright. I do a lot of acoustic sets with one of two REMO djembes I have. This might make a nice addition for that vibe.
    I agree. It sounds cool with the djembe bass and a hihat on the left foot. I also took out a brass tambourine on a Gajate bracket and could lay down a nice coffee house vibe, especially with the brushes. See your PM for more info.
    Last edited by Redeye; 01-30-2011 at 12:25 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Saul View Post

sorry for poor quality pics

Pearl masters custom 100% maple
    IC pedals all round
    Pearl 900 H/W
    Sabian cymbals mixed - couple missing atm as they are being used by a friend for recordings

oh forgot to add: Chad smith signature snare drum (not sure if i like it though, bit too ringy...)

I have the chad smith snare too, it was extremely ringy but i sorted it out and its fine now, and sounds AWESOME :P Nice kit btw
    'Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out in your drumming'

MAPEX: Meridian Maple >YAMAHA: rock tour >Pearl Chad smith signature snare >Sabian-Zildjian-Paiste

User Info Menu

Shane that snare is wicked!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I almost cried when I saw drums sitting on the rough surface of a truck. Please put something under them if you're going to travel any distance with that kit.
    C'mon guys, it is a garbage kit, the shells are indonesian plywood. I tossed them in the back of the truck and drove sites the rest of the day with them rolling and bouncing. I am gonna use the lugs off the toms and the claws off the kick for other projects. As for donating whats left, it would cost the kid or church or whatever, 3 times what they are worth to replace the parts I take. I have two kits, both good quality, for the price I paid, it is a good deal for the hardware. Plus I need the stands for my home practice kit. It came with a cracked 18 inch Z crash. I am going to give a try at reducing it to 16 inch, get rid of the cracks and see how it works. If it does, thats my $100 back right there. Ridding the world of crap drums is not a sin!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1986TamaSS View Post
    All right! Very cool to have someone else with an appreciation for "xtras" I know thet square sizes and power toms were used in hair metal and small rock circles. The market "trends" steered toward shallow "standard" sizes and thinner shells. I can say that 9mm really is "medium" with a balance of warmth and projection. They were never boomy or sloppy, very focused and powerful. I would use them for anything except acoustic jazz.
    Hey some of us still play deep Tama X-Tra kits. Funny thing, I don't think I knew there were standard sizes when I got mine. Just got the one they had. Always loved it, and still do, although in retrospect the standard depth would have been easier to setup and lighter to carry around!

Here they are at my first real show, summer 1988. Although it was a 6 pc, I played it as a 5 usually (12/13/16).

Nowadays I play it 10/12/16, although I toyed with a 4 pc for a while.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Got a good day so i set up my DW Jellybean kit

"PLAY IT LOUD AND PLAY IT PROUD":

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumnpk View Post

Those are awesome what kinda cymbals are those ?
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9

User Info Menu

Those are awesome what kinda cymbals are those ?
    Thanks Shabutie2113 the cymbals are DIRIL Turkish hand hammered mostly Special Series with some AD series and D series.

User Info Menu

I think my wrists just skipped a beat....
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=drumnpk;359925]Got a good day so i set up my DW Jellybean kit

User Info Menu

Dude, you need a bigger rug!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    Hey some of us still play deep Tama X-Tra kits. Funny thing, I don't think I knew there were standard sizes when I got mine. Just got the one they had. Always loved it, and still do, although in retrospect the standard depth would have been easier to setup and lighter to carry around!

Here they are at my first real show, summer 1988. Although it was a 6 pc, I played it as a 5 usually (12/13/16).

Nowadays I play it 10/12/16, although I toyed with a 4 pc for a while.
    I really dig those lugs, and white always looks good!
    I quit another forum recently that seemed to be hard-core fascist against imports (except sonor) and deeper toms. Tama knew what they were doing when they made them. They have a BIG sound and if they aren't 1st choice for jazz--I'd use something else. I understand some can't reach if the toms are too deep, but again---tama's power toms don't sacrifice definition like some power toms did. These sound 95% as sharp as "fast" sizes but a heck of a lot deeper and more powerful.

Truth be known, birch superstars, cordia artstars, asII's and granstars are al great---even today.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Actually, 13" to 16" is a common interval in rock set ups. Usually the 13" is over the kick is all. Try inverting your L-arm and mount the bracket a bit toward the end to see if that increases your resonance.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrFMPd8HNmQ&feature=more_related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrFMPd8HNmQ&feature=more_related[/ame]
    Took your advice on turning that bracket upside down. Sounded pretty good. Like the new set up. The 13 and 16 sound good together.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1986TamaSS View Post
    I really dig those lugs, and white always looks good!
    I quit another forum recently that seemed to be hard-core fascist against imports (except sonor) and deeper toms. Tama knew what they were doing when they made them. They have a BIG sound and if they aren't 1st choice for jazz--I'd use something else. I understand some can't reach if the toms are too deep, but again---tama's power toms don't sacrifice definition like some power toms did. These sound 95% as sharp as "fast" sizes but a heck of a lot deeper and more powerful.

Truth be known, birch superstars, cordia artstars, asII's and granstars are al great---even today.
    They aren't quite as white now LOL. A little yellowing over the years, but still look good. Reach isn't an issue since I'm pretty tall (6'3"), and for lighter stuff I have a Gretsch Renown kit. But for big sound, nothing beats them. Played them exclusively until about a year ago.

Your SS's look great. My bro had a Cherry Wine SS kit, double bass, 4 up 1 down. Big NP influence there.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    They aren't quite as white now LOL. A little yellowing over the years, but still look good. Reach isn't an issue since I'm pretty tall (6'3"), and for lighter stuff I have a Gretsch Renown kit. But for big sound, nothing beats them. Played them exclusively until about a year ago.

Your SS's look great. My bro had a Cherry Wine SS kit, double bass, 4 up 1 down. Big NP influence there.
    I definitely delineate the right tools for the right job. Renown kits are (as far as I am concerned) the finest tone a drum can make. perfect for jazz and anything that requires layers of subtle flavor to the sound.

For everything else....

Edit: INCIDENTALLY: I was going to lay down the cash for a R. maple (They even dropped the price $400+!) I was 2 weeks away when I found my kit on CL. My kit was a target of opportunity. I like it for what it is in the same way Gretsch has my favorite woody tone.
    Last edited by 1986TamaSS; 01-30-2011 at 08:15 PM.

User Info Menu

I am now insanely jealous that you can set up outside in January. In Ohio, I can barely tolerate staying outside long enough for my dog to pee.

Oh - lovely kit, though.

User Info Menu

What's with the velcro or whatever that black square is on your slave kick pedal?
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseInMotion View Post
    What's with the velcro or whatever that black square is on your slave kick pedal?
    Hey NoiseInMotion it's to stop foot slippage,it was on it when i picked it up i just didn't remove it but now since you have said it i'm gonna remove it as it looks awful

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Took your advice on turning that bracket upside down. Sounded pretty good. Like the new set up. The 13 and 16 sound good together.
    dude! thank you soo much!! that gave my 12 inch tom ALOT more resonance! my set sounds 10x better now!
    zebra wrapped gretsch catalina club mod:
    12" tom
    16" floor tom
    14" snare
    22x20 kick

Cymbals:
    17" saluda mist x crash
    20" saluda decadence ride
    14" Saluda mist x hats
    16" dream bliss crash
    10" wuhan splash (modified via salt water)

User Info Menu

very very nice kit; and gives me some great ideas for cymbal layout too; thanks!
    If you are going through hell...keep going!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gretschfan:) View Post
    dude! thank you soo much!! that gave my 12 inch tom ALOT more resonance! my set sounds 10x better now!
    Bob Gatzen is a genius...