Page 463 of 546 FirstFirst ... 363413453461462463464465473513 ... LastLast
Results 11,551 to 11,575 of 13638

Thread: Show Us Your Drums!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Show Us Your Drums!

Quote Originally Posted by Pearldrummer View Post
    alright, some of you already seen the latest member to my family. I received this in a trade; including the rack and AAX cymbal set, no money involved with a DTXpress IV that I bought a year ago for $400, and that deal came with a free SKB trapcase, the big one! Yep, I know, I'm a hustler, lol.

I'm having so much fun with it already, finally have a practice set again that makes real sounds! Even when not tuned correctly, NOTHING beats that!

Sweet deal!! Nice set up. Thanks for posting the pics.

User Info Menu

alright, some of you already seen the latest member to my family. I received this in a trade; including the rack and AAX cymbal set, no money involved with a DTXpress IV that I bought a year ago for $400, and that deal came with a free SKB trapcase, the big one! Yep, I know, I'm a hustler, lol.

I'm having so much fun with it already, finally have a practice set again that makes real sounds! Even when not tuned correctly, NOTHING beats that!

Thief!................ jk, congrats on the great deal

User Info Menu

Default Mapex Saturn IV - Final form(?)

Probably not final form, but close enough for now. My brother came over last week and first thing he asked me was, "Where's the bell tree?" (We called 'em bell trees as kids, didn't know any better), so subsequent to that, after moving some of the smaller cymbals around to plug some more holes, I realized it left an "opportunity" inboard of my floor toms, so that's where the "bell tree" went - Treeworks Tre23db Classic Double Row Chime. They fit in very nicely and just out of the way.

You can maybe catch a glimpse of the old Forums that are now going to my 10-year-old niece. I had 'em out to tweak the tuning and came to the conclusion that those Pearl toms really don't sound too bad w/ the Evans hydraulic glass heads. I think she's getting a pretty decent starter kit, although I'd definitely be looking to replace the cymbals (I've suggested her father pick her up some Sabian B8's in time) and the snare strand on the 14" Forum snare.

User Info Menu

That's a great deal! I had no idea that you could get the Stage Customs with toms with that short (for me, 'normal'....I remember the trend in the late 80's and early 90's for power toms, when they then became ridiculously long for shorties like me). You find they make positioning a bit easier?
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mapex Saturn IV - Final form(?)

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Crunch View Post

Saluda, Zildjian, Paiste and Sabian in one set...
    Do you have something from Meinl, Wuhan or Instabul as well?

User Info Menu

Holy pie heaven.

Awesome kit and cymbal collection. Enjoy. That is a very fine rig!!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princesite132 View Post
    Saluda, Zildjian, Paiste and Sabian in one set...
    Do you have something from Meinl, Wuhan or Instabul as well?
    Meinl Vintage Sand hats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Holy pie heaven.

Awesome kit and cymbal collection. Enjoy. That is a very fine rig!!!

Yeah, I'm afraid I have a disease.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

@ drumbledore
    Well in all honesty, I owned quite a few sets through the years, but this is my ver first date with Yamaha. So, my opinion is based on a few weeks: Yes, I do think that positioning of the toms is very simple. The yess system Yamaha uses is perfect to adjust or readjust ur toms to ur comfort zone without having to release a lot of memory clamps.
    • Crush Limited Reserve Wenge
    • DW Collectors
    • Sakae Pac-D
    • Roland TD-9
    • Zildjian K/A Cymbals
    • Crush, DW, Pork Pie, Trick Snares
    • MAY Sennheiser, Audio Technica Internal Mics
    • Gibraltar 9600 hardware
    • Protection Racket/RoadRunner Touring cases

User Info Menu

cc1918, Nice...compact and simple..what type of music do you play most?
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

cap'n crunch..man..I have a hard time seeing your drums through the beauty of shiny things..what a collection. cool.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MartyM View Post
    cap'n crunch..man..I have a hard time seeing your drums through the beauty of shiny things..what a collection. cool.
    Thanks, Marty.

It looks and functions differently from the driver's seat. I've tried to arrange everything where I don't have to reach very far or swivel too much. This has been as much a "build" project for me as anything else.

Now that I have everything (more or less) like I want, I find myself anguishing over the precise tuning of each drum to get the intervals and sound I want.

OCD is an unforgiving mistress.

User Info Menu

nice pic's everyone.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Awesome kit, Cap'n Crunch! I'm interested how comfortable it is when you're playing - as far as I can see the snare is really over to the left and the hats are at a really accute angle to reach foot-wise. Maybe it's exaggerated by the photo.

I took my 10" and 12" rack toms off the kick and stand-mounted them over to the left for a couple of gigs recently, but even then I found I was unnaturally bending my left leg to get comfortable whatever I did, so I've now mounted them back over the kick but on cymbal stands.
    A-kit: Mapex 6-pc Saturn V in Deep Water Maple Burl
    1976 Ludwig Supraphonic 400, DW Design Black Nickel over Brass and Black Panther Velvetone snares
    14" Zildjian A Mastersound hi-hats
    21" Meinl Byzance Transition Ride
    18" Sabian AAX China
    Many Paiste Signature cymbals!
    Roland SPD:ONE Percussion pad

Protection Racket cases

E-kit: Roland TD-12 with VEX

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Crunch View Post

Very cool set up!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Grazza View Post
    Awesome kit, Cap'n Crunch! I'm interested how comfortable it is when you're playing - as far as I can see the snare is really over to the left and the hats are at a really accute angle to reach foot-wise. Maybe it's exaggerated by the photo.

I took my 10" and 12" rack toms off the kick and stand-mounted them over to the left for a couple of gigs recently, but even then I found I was unnaturally bending my left leg to get comfortable whatever I did, so I've now mounted them back over the kick but on cymbal stands.
    Thanks for the feedback, Grazza. Ditto, Rich.

Yeah, initially I just set things up where they were comfortable for me. After the fact, I'd noticed in photos of a few other sets how further "forward" the snare and hats seemed to be on some kits, so I experimented along those lines, but it just didn't feel "right" to me. On mine, I'd say the angle between the kick and hat pedals is about 75 degrees give or take, while some of the kits I studied the angle seemed to be as narrow as 45 degrees (I agree, it is a little hard to tell just from pics).

I don't know, maybe my legs are longer or maybe I just naturally have a wider stance. So far, it feels very natural to me. Seems like I have greater flexibility and finesse with the hi-hat pedal at that angle as well. The other thing that occurs to me is that particular hi-hat stand allows the pedal to be offset left or right, (which it is, to the right) so that may cause the appearance of the photos to somewhat belie the perception.

Not to say that I might not ultimately find a configuration that is even more comfortable or more efficient.

Adding a photo better showing the angle w/ feet on the pedals. Sorry folks, haven't had time to shave my legs this week.

Last edited by Cap'n Crunch; 07-29-2013 at 07:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Ah, I see now - I didn't realise your sitting position was at an angle to the kick, rather than straight on. Whatever works, I guess...
    A-kit: Mapex 6-pc Saturn V in Deep Water Maple Burl
    1976 Ludwig Supraphonic 400, DW Design Black Nickel over Brass and Black Panther Velvetone snares
    14" Zildjian A Mastersound hi-hats
    21" Meinl Byzance Transition Ride
    18" Sabian AAX China
    Many Paiste Signature cymbals!
    Roland SPD:ONE Percussion pad

Protection Racket cases

E-kit: Roland TD-12 with VEX

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Grazza View Post
    Ah, I see now - I didn't realise your sitting position was at an angle to the kick, rather than straight on. Whatever works, I guess...
    I think that's what it is. I'm starting to realize many/most drummers are orienting themselves straight out over the kick (kick being 0 degrees orientation). That may be the best way to play. I don't know, I'm just beginning to learn. Most of my kit is oriented left of the kick, and I can reach my floor toms and crashes on the right side with just a bit of flex to my right. So far, I'm not finding the need to swivel the throne to engage anything. That may change as I develop my technique. Using the kick as 0 degrees, my kit spans from probably about +75 on the right to -135 on the left.

I probably could well benefit from some one-on-one w/ a good teacher or at least an experienced drummer. Everything I'm doing is based on what I read and watch others do online and elsewhere, and this is definitely great stuff to consider.

User Info Menu

I think you could benefit from having a more standard setup. Seems like a lot of twisting around to do a full roll, which can't be good for your back in the long run. Having your floor toms closer to your toms would make more ergonomic sense. Maybe that's just me though.

This is how mine looks. The commonly used stuff is all within easy reach.

DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

That is one nice looking set-up you got there, Digital!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Couple pics from the gig on Saturday

Tiny 18" kick drum kit. It's good to have a kit that plays to the room.

Someone was asking how all that stuff is mounted off the kick drum. Well, here are those pics too.

Here's the snare mount, yeah, there's a bit of stress on the hoop, but the kit doesn't stay set up, and I don't really care about these hoops that I bought off ebay on the cheap.

This one shows the ride cymbal mount and the floor tom mount. The floor tom is mounted similar to the snare, and the ride is similar to the rack tom. You can see a better view of the rack tom mount on the second picture I posted in this post.

Quick Size Rundown:
    10x8 Rack Tom, 13x11 Floor Tom, 13x5.5 Snare Drum, 18x16 Kick Drum (Camco shell)

Typical cymbal setup for jams with this kit - 15" Dream Contact Hats, 16" A Custom Crash, 20" Zildjian A Series crash ride.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    I think you could benefit from having a more standard setup. Seems like a lot of twisting around to do a full roll, which can't be good for your back in the long run. Having your floor toms closer to your toms would make more ergonomic sense. Maybe that's just me though.

This is how mine looks. The commonly used stuff is all within easy reach.

This helps a lot, Dig. Thanks very much for the photo. Very nice set, also.

I shifted some stuff around. I think it will ultimately help not having to go "through" the ride to get to the 14" ft. I'd been struggling with that but just figured I needed practice in navigating that. Feels just a little "scrunched" at first but I'm pretty sure I can spread things out enough to feel just right.

Very much appreciated, guys.

Here's the adjusted setup. Please let me know where I might need to tweak. BTW, that 12" tom is lined up, but for some reason, appears to be "jumping out" in the photo.

User Info Menu

Just a quick observation... your toms have pretty big angle on them. Do you tend to dent your head a lot, or that's not an issue?

If you do, I'd try to flatten them a tad and see if that works better...as long as you're not hitting rims all the time, of course.

Also, if you were to bring that kit to a live show, no one would know it was you playing. Your cymbals are right in your face Could be a good thing for shy drummers lol
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

I'll take a look at the angle on the rack toms, Dig, thanks.. I did lower (increase) the angle on the 14 and 16 because I was hitting the rims quite a bit on those after I shifted things around.

No, this kit is just a personal indulgence to enjoy at home. I won't be taking it on any gigs.

Gotta say I'm starting to like this arrangement. I moved a few of the pies around so now I've got my 3-4 faves in front of me and it's most definitely easier getting to that 14" tom and the ride is still very accessible. Kit now pretty much extends 90 degrees either side of the kick.