Thread: Snare too big?!

User Info Menu

Default Snare too big?!

So I've just started drumming in February of this year, and have a full 5 piece Gammon set. Yes, cheapo, but it's all I could afford. I've just started to notice the snare is way too big for me. It barely fits between my legs, and I find my feet turning outwards when I use my kicks, because the snare is so big. Could you recommend a snare that's smaller than 5 1/2" x 14 that's fairly cheap in price? Preferably under $100, but I know cheap drums are almost non-existent. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare too big?!

To be honest no i can't reccomend something cheap. what i can recommend is redo your setup starting with putting down your pedals first where your feet are more comftorable then build your set around your feet. also try lowering and hightening your throne as needed. as well as adjusting your snares hieght.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

This sounds like a setup issue to me. One of the most common issues is placement of the pedals as this determines everything else. Always start with the bass drum; you'll probably find that the bass drum will be angles slightly away from you do that your naturally out turned foot aligns with the pedal. This, however, can lead to significant compromise of rack Tom placement and this is why I moved to mounting mine from stands. I can get everything just where I want it without compromise.

14x5.5 is very standard so unless you are a very young drummer and still growing it shouldn't be a problem; I know a couple of 10yr olds who use our church kit fine with this size snare.

Hope this helps.

User Info Menu

Cheapo PDP popcorn snares can be found for pretty cheap. Both 12" and 10" can be found I think. I would personally recommend re-adjusting your setup as I don't like using small sizes on my main snare, but they can be found for cheap.
    Kits:
    -C&C Player Date 13/16/22
    -65' Ludwig Super Classic 13/16/22

Snares:
    -DW Nickel Over Brass 6.5x14 snare
    -Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 65' Super Classic 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 64' Pioneer 5x14 snare
    -PDP Classic Wood hoop 6x14 snare

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Constantinople
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    -Zildjian 20" Constantinople
    Hats:
    -17" A Medium crash over K custom dark crash

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

How long have you had this set? If it's your first couple days or week give yourself some time to adjust, you probably just aren't used to it yet. Really that's an industry standard size for good sound, I suggest you get very comfortable playing 14x5/2's because chances are that's what'll be waiting for you on your next kit too. Some of the best snares out there are the same size, or bigger! One thing that might help is to try playing a snare bigger than that for awhile if you can, say 14x8 or 9. It'll make yours seem a lot smaller in comparison!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I have 3 different size snares 14x5,14x5.5and 14x6.5 and have no issues with space. The only adjustment I do is lower or raise the snare stand everything else stays the same even my throne. Once you find that comfortable spot for you snare then you will be happy. Good luck and play around with your stand.

User Info Menu

These guys are all right. Give yourself time to adjust. And re-configure your set up to make it more comfortable.

If that doesn't work....I picked up a 13x6.5 Tama Artwood maple snare on ebay for under 100 dollars. Fantastic quality and sound. Deals are out there....but you've got to be patient.

User Info Menu

If your just starting out, maybe we can help out if you post a couple of pictures of the drivers seat view for us. Maybe it's something simple we can help you out with right away. There's a lot of experience on this site. Welcome to Drum Chat.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. I've had this kit for six months, and I've re-adjusted about 2 times. I'll take your advice and re-adjust everything again, because the last couple times, I didn't really spend much time doing it. And yeah, I guess I didn't think about that being the standard snare size. Thanks again!

User Info Menu

Maybe you just need to set your hi-hat stand a little further away.

User Info Menu

I use to have this CB700 8x14 snare, the old CB stuff. It didn't sound bad actually recorded an EP with it. the only thing was it was high maintenance the pot metal lugs would break all the time, anyway that size to me is too big. The depth being the factor.

Now I use 7x14 and 6 1/2x14's and those sizes work well. Lots of snare options for you though. A lot of funny little sizes out. Maybe if able go to a music store and test different sizes from a throne and see what's comfortable for you.

maybe save a little dough to broaden your price point. A nice snare is a good investment.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Even if you do go to a 13" snare is moving your leg 1/2" really going to make a difference?

User Info Menu

How are the new configurations going? Any better?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    How are the new configurations going? Any better?
    No, not really. I'm just incredibly small, so I'll have to deal with it.

User Info Menu

Is your snare very close to you? You may have better luck with it further away from you. Oh and pictures of your set would help us help you a lot more.

User Info Menu

One thing I have learned about snare placement is this. I start by placing my pedals, HH and bass. I get my feet positioned comfortably first. Then, while sitting, I place the snare in front of me and leave my thumb and pinkie fingers extended out(folding in my index, middle and ring finger). I place my thumb on my belt buckle and my pinkie finger on the snare hoop. This always gives me proper height and distance. Make sense?

User Info Menu

i have an SP 13 snare i picked up at a garage sale for nothing.
    free if you pay shipping, wife wants that drumpile gone

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MetalRain View Post
    No, not really. I'm just incredibly small, so I'll have to deal with it.
    Totally empathise with you there matey. In comparison to a lot of my drumming buds, I'm usually the shorty around the place. Years back when I used to play two bass drums (and didn't mind carting them around), I used to play three rack toms - 12", 13" & 14", together with a 14" snare. Then, when I got my DW double-pedal, I put the 14" tom on the shelf, and played the other two rack toms together with one or two 16" floor toms. What I found was that the double pedal plus the 14" snare placement wasn't feeling quite as balanced as having the two bass drums, so first I customised (ie: trimmed and finished) the axle for the double pedal, so that I could bring the hi-hat closer. Then, noticing I wasn't quite hitting the centre of the snare drum, came up with the solution that having smaller rack toms will allow me to readjust the placement of the snare, which they did to an extent (I ordered and got 8", 10" & 12" rack toms), but the final piece of the puzzle was to start playing 13" diameter snare drums, which I pretty much go for these days, as I own two 13x5.5" wood snares, two 13x3.5" piccolos (one wood, one steel) and a steel 12x4" soprano. My 14" snares (which I own a few) will very occasionally be brought out, but not as much as my more-favoured smaller drums.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

i wish i never sold my 13 brass piccolo
    to the OP, you can play a 13 with no problems. my 14X6.5 maple snare scares more living beings than my brass piccolo ever did.
    Last edited by kyle102565; 10-24-2012 at 12:46 AM.